South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,744
    Given: 17,041

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    Law school is extremely boring, that is why so few graduate, at least in Europe. But job itself is extremely interesting and rewarding and well, if you are capable, pays very well.
    I started studying criminal profiling. Loved the criminology and psychology aspects. The law part is what killed it for me and I quit. In retrospect I should have stuck it out but the law was soul-destroying. I understand that you need to know the fundamentals but fuck, I couldn't drag myself through it.

I still have all my textbooks and decided to browse through them again a few months ago. A good night's sleep guaranteed.

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Colonial Mexican
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,358
    Given: 5,538

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas View Post
    I think all members have read a book but I think there are few who read consistently and regularly. I do not say this because I think members are more or less intelligent but simply because from my observations most people are not avid readers. I personally see reading as something positive and it honestly leaves me a good impression knowing that someone enjoys reading. My alma mater is a humanities college so it would be odd if I thought otherwise. I also do not understand why fictional literature is being looked at in a bad light in this thread because the overwhelming majority of literary classics are fictionalized and nevertheless profound, complex and psychologically challenging. If Dostoevsky were alive today, his novels would probably be best sellers too and that wouldn't make his work any less relevant or profound. He was very popular in his time too. Not everything that is popular is necessarily bad, we just have to know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. And not everything that we perceive as bad may necessarily be "bad". Many authors were completely ostracized and ignored during their lifetime, only to become classics of world literature long after their death.
    Personally I tend to read subjects or things that somehow I can apply that to my life as something beneficial. Ive ordered several Amazon books about how to sell and use physcology because all my work I've done it's being pretty much customer service and selling over the phone.

One book I just recently purchased Is Sell like crazy by Sabri Suby an Australian Palestinian that grew up with a single mother.

So yes I'm not going to read books about stupid inrevelant stuff ( Que no le puedo sacar provecho en la vida)

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balto-Slavic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Swamps
    Country
    Antarctica
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Hero
    sprinkle sprinkle
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,092
    Given: 1,177

0 Not allowed!

I think all members have read a book but I think there are few who read consistently and regularly. I do not say this because I think members are more or less intelligent but simply because from my observations most people are not avid readers. I personally see reading as something positive and it honestly leaves me a good impression knowing that someone enjoys reading. My alma mater is a humanities college so it would be odd if I thought otherwise. I also do not understand why fictional literature is being looked at in a bad light in this thread because the overwhelming majority of literary classics are fictionalized and nevertheless profound, complex and psychologically challenging. If Dostoevsky were alive today, his novels would probably be best sellers too and that wouldn't make his work any less relevant or profound. He was very popular in his time too. Not everything that is popular is necessarily bad, we just have to know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. And not everything that we perceive as bad may necessarily be "bad". Many authors were completely ostracized and ignored during their lifetime, only to become classics of world literature long after their death.
    I think it all comes down to priorities and values. Reading takes time and time is a non-renewable resource. I can see how some can view fiction as a waste of time, although personally I don’t agree with that. Dostoevsky was a genius, his novels are more philosophical than fictional imo. I wish more people had appreciation of his work.

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Colonial Mexican
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,358
    Given: 5,538

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    I think you want. Laredo is gay he sniffed such vibes from you.
    Oh yes I'm definitely gay, but sometimes I turn bisexual (depending the female etc )

Companhia dos Leőes da Beira
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,186
    Given: 16,907

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    Personally I tend to read subjects or things that somehow I can apply that to my life as something beneficial. Ive ordered several Amazon books about how to sell and use physiological for that because all my work I've done it's being pretty much customer service and selling over the phone.

One book I just recently purchased Is Sell like crazy by Sabri Suby an Australian Palestinian that grew up with a single mother.

So yes I'm not going to read books about stupid inrevelant stuff ( Que no le puedo sacar provecho en la vida)
    I read a lot of non-fiction, reading novels does not exclude the other. There are a multitude of scenarios in which having a general knowledge of classical literature is useful or even beneficial and in some cases it can even change the way you see the world. People can also afford to read something lighter if they so choose, there is nothing wrong with that. It seems that everyone here has very high standards when it comes to what they read, it's even comical, but then if you look at it, most people probably don't even read an average of more than two books a year, to say the least. And you also won't see such a high standard regarding what they consume in other forms of media such as streaming platforms, YouTube, music, etc., but when it comes to literature everyone wants to give the impression that they are very selective. People can be selective but there is no need to deminish the value of other literary genres.
    YDNA: R1b-L21 > DF13 > S1051 > FGC17906 > FGC17907 > FGC17866

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    NW German
    Country
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    Tronder (G25)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 744
    Given: 594

2 Not allowed!

Internet use destroys much of the ability of concentration which is necessary to read books and I consider this a really alarming developement.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vessna View Post
    I think it all comes down to priorities and values. Reading takes time and time is a non-renewable resource. I can see how some can view fiction as a waste of time, although personally I don’t agree with that. Dostoevsky was a genius, his novels are more philosophical than fictional imo. I wish more people had appreciation of his work.
    This applies to everything else, the time you are not reading, you will be using it or wasting it on something else. Everyone needs to know whether that time lost on something else is in fact more beneficial or enriching for them since everyone is different. In any case, I think most people can find thirty minutes in most of their days to be spent on reading. If everybody did that most people would be averaging around 40 books per year. 30 to 40 books is more or less what I have been averaging per year and I don't spend six hours per day reading. If people averaged how many hours they spent consuming tv shows, music or browsing the internet\social media it would be hard to justify that they do not have at least thirty minutes of their days to be spent on reading, lets just say that they choose not to. Dostoevsky works is extremely philosophical but obviously fictional in the sense that his novels are imaginative narratives that he created. My point is that a fictional book is not necessarily any less complex, enlightening or deep than a non-fictional one.

Insufferable by many Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Bros over hoes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,269
    Given: 13,634

1 Not allowed!

It's all perfectly laid why.

Students going to technical and related gymnasiums and schools don't need to read useless novels, poems etc except in spare time.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Ethnicity
    Cro
    Country
    Croatia
    Region
    Slavonija-Baranya
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 935
    Given: 720

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Insuperable View Post
    His statement is a bit ambiguous to me. He said that engineers frequently need creativity, but he never stated that creativity comes from reading novels and other useless shit like most of you stated. You were on how engineers are robots without creativity. It's just that you and Scarface thought he was speaking in your favour simply for calling me autistic. Perhaps he could clarify.
    That's ambiguous only to you. He was clearly thinking about the creative juices that flow from modeling plasticine clay balls in art class here in the literature thread.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Insuperable View Post
    It's all perfectly laid why.

Students going to technical and related gymnasiums and schools don't need to read useless novels, poems etc except in spare time.
    I don't agree. You should be able to read and interpret an essay or a novel in your native language, whether you're an engineer or not. The various fields of study complement each other, they don't exclude each other. In the same way, someone who has studied at a Faculty of Humanities should have at least a basic knowledge of mathematics too. The world we live in requires us to have more and more skills in a multitude of areas. We no longer live in the era of our parents where you graduate from a course and work in the same job and in the same area all your life until you retire. I'm currently working in accounting for example, which isn't necessarily my field of study.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread Information