Thread: Is it just me or are working class/poor people generally funnier?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,447
    Given: 5,771

0 Not allowed!

Default Is it just me or are working class/poor people generally funnier?

I have always found working class people to be more spontaneous and easily cracking jokes, i have noticed for example when sharing a lift or an enclosed space i.e a small takeaway place that the businesspeople will usually be quiet and sullen and the builders/tradesmen/football fans will be bantering and making funny remarks. I took a train down to west London and i remember some posh rugby fans got on, they were making some jokes among themselves but they didn't have that energy and openness that less posh football fans have, especially ones from the north and Wales.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    stuff
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 24

1 Not allowed!

Maybe it's simply general lacking of "etiquette"? I'm poor as shit and my father was hard working but wasted all that he earned on his vices and I'm pretty much the bantering and goofing type of guy and wouldn't want to be some stuck up person. I'd enter a quiet space like that and like a naive doofus just start yapping and joking before I quickly read the room and realized what was going on.

I think that when you struggle enough in life physically, you'd probably jump off of a bridge if you took things that seriously. I notice a lot of wealthier people just seem to walk around de-tached from anyone that they aren't sure is also of a similar status and talk to you like you're a bug that they'd rather avoid if you come across as lower class or a bit more crass. Maybe that's an over-generalization but I think it's a fair one.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,447
    Given: 5,771

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Saitama View Post
    Maybe it's simply general lacking of "etiquette"? I'm poor as shit and my father was hard working but wasted all that he earned on his vices and I'm pretty much the bantering and goofing type of guy and wouldn't want to be some stuck up person. I'd enter a quiet space like that and like a naive doofus just start yapping and joking before I quickly read the room and realized what was going on.

I think that when you struggle enough in life physically, you'd probably jump off of a bridge if you took things that seriously. I notice a lot of wealthier people just seem to walk around de-tached from anyone that they aren't sure is also of a similar status and talk to you like you're a bug that they'd rather avoid if you come across as lower class or a bit more crass. Maybe that's an over-generalization but I think it's a fair one.
    Thanks for your comment, you look a bit like an Irish lad i know btw, i think it is more about lack of etiquette, my father was from a very privileged background(his parents owned a shop before the Patels took over every shop in north and west London) but he was very sociable and chatty with everyone with pleasant humour, i put it down on his Lincolnshire roots i would say as they are generally quite polite and sociable up there.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    stuff
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 24

1 Not allowed!

Yeah. Probably is! Obviously it's nothing malicious. Maybe that sort of occasional room-reading-tone-deafness can be irritating, but I imagine it's also always in good fun for people willing to open up and be receptive towards it. My father was an orphan with mental issues and a bad temper, who'd drink himself into stupors and generally didn't start fights but somehow managed to find himself in them. He worked as a carpenter and was a very hard worker but just pissed his money away on horses as quickly as it'd come to him, so while he mostly composed himself in public he could still be quite the crass and unfiltered guy at the same time.

I've been perceived by random people as British before, but I've also had a tall blonde Ukrainian guy come up to me once recently and start speaking to me in Russian. LOL. Had the same thing happen recently while on the job with an old Ukrainian lady. Literally walks by as I'm doing my job, says hi, turns back to leave the room, then turns around and starts with the "vloshnatica fhodashvlakghblaghuaghlbaa shadrusghnia?" I just look back blankly with shockedpikachu.jpg face and smile like.. "Uhh, me no speaky, I'm Italian." then I sheepishly add in the "And Finnish. Ha ha!" (All I know is that Finland and Russia are next to each other, and possibly don't have the greatest relationship? IDK. Maybe I'll learn more by being here.) I think I said something about Russia and she goes "Oh! I am from Ukraine!" and I was like.. "OOOOOHhhhh... ok" I think I've got more of that American mutt "pan euro" kinda vibe going on.

I wouldn't personally assume what someone would be like based on their social/economic status, but at the same time there are likely trends in people's behavior that would be silly of us to ignore I suppose. I don't really know many uber-wealthy people, if any at all. I've probably met some people who have had minor TV fame or what not. I met a woman who actually had a hit song in the US in the 90s, she basically works as a bartender nowadays far as I know. She had a bit of a rough smoker's voice in her middle age, so she'd riff with me and I'd start talking back in that gruff tone and she'd want to (PLAYFULLY) throw a coaster at me. Was a good time. lol.

Thread Information