Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Exotic Borreby
    Politics
    Right vs Wrong, not Left vs Right or Lib vs Cons
    Religion
    Born again atheist, having faith in positive outcomes and a positive future. Personal belief system.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,048
    Given: 12,279

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Serbo View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Exotic Borreby
    Politics
    Right vs Wrong, not Left vs Right or Lib vs Cons
    Religion
    Born again atheist, having faith in positive outcomes and a positive future. Personal belief system.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,048
    Given: 12,279

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dviz View Post
    Alright, that's a better answer.

But what do you think happens in a human brain when it answers a question, other than sequentially coming up with words, each selected based on prior context. What word fits a sequence is learned through experience.

So how is that different from AI?
    AI can write an article like human does, but AI currently cannot understand what is written, the human can. The AI is just throwing words out there. These are just LLMs not real AIs.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,056
    Given: 6,632

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    AI can write an article like human does, but AI currently cannot understand what is written, the human can. The AI is just throwing words out there. These are just LLMs not real AIs.
    The idea that intelligence is to think exactly like a human is a false precondition I think.
    Spoiler!

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-03-2024 @ 11:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer/Afrikaner
    Ancestry
    Dutch?
    Country
    South Africa
    Politics
    Right
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,573
    Given: 4,696

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    For now. But one day, based on learned language models, AI will make virtual decisions, such as automated censorship...

ChatGPT and Google Gemini have been woke flops.
    But what if they replace the corporate managers and government officials of the future?
    Many corporate managers, bureaucrats, academics, public health officials, etc. do not really think or understand,
    just throw words on a page anyway. Even some doctors and lawyers are like this.
    Last edited by CosmoLady; 04-24-2024 at 06:18 AM.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-03-2024 @ 11:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer/Afrikaner
    Ancestry
    Dutch?
    Country
    South Africa
    Politics
    Right
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,573
    Given: 4,696

0 Not allowed!

For now, some of AI turns out to be a fraud, such as Amazon Go relying on a thousand Indians, NOT AI

"Amazon Ditches 'Just Walk Out' Checkouts at Its Grocery Stores"
    https://gizmodo.com/amazon-reportedl...res-1851381116

"The technology allows customers to skip checkout altogether by scanning a QR code when they enter the store. Though it seemed completely automated, Just Walk Out relied on more than 1,000 people in India watching and labeling videos to ensure accurate checkouts. The cashiers were simply moved off-site, and they watched you as you shopped."

Anonymous Indians!

Arjun & Imran

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,291
    Given: 43,816

0 Not allowed!

In the world of translation, AI is growing, to the point where the role of translators is increasingly more consultative than anything else. Furthermore, the EU specifically has a triage system of sorts: depending on the nature of the article or issue at hand, some things just require AI translations, some things require one or two humans to review it afterwards, and some things are still too risky to use AI at all.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Also worrying is the growth of its usage in warfare: there are credible allegations that Israel has used an AI programme to target suspected Hamas terrorists in Gaza, and it is known right from the start that it only has an accuracy rate of around 90%, thus the IDF know that at least 10% of those who they kill thanks to this programme will be innocent!

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Rule by algorithim is also very dangerous - just ask a postmaster!

Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Coastal Syrian
    Ancestry
    Tartous
    Country
    United States
    mtDNA
    H4a1-T152C!
    Religion
    Catholic (Maronite Rite)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,829
    Given: 998

0 Not allowed!

I am not sure if this is a good explanation, and I am not sure if anyone will bother to read this, but I don't think you can properly discuss "AI" without understanding at least the basics of machine learning. And I'm not talking sit down and get a degree, or learn programming, or anything like that, but at least on a conceptual level understand what it is trying to do.

All of this is built upon the foundations of data science and statistics. While now just anyone can interface with natural language processing (NLP) models (like the ones behind ChatGPT and Claude and whatever else you're using that generates text), and you feel like you're having a conversation, that's all the result of a lot of data being fed into an algorithm that tries to "predict" what comes next.

Essentially, it asks itself: "Considering that these words / characters / sentences (it varies) are fed to me, what comes next?" And its reference for this is a human-made corpus of content, either manually curated or just feed in such large amounts that eventually it "gets it."

When you open Vahaduo and run a calculator, you get "fit" back— we all know how these things can "overfit," they try to mathematically maximize the fit. I'm not saying Vahaduo is some kind of machine learning/AI/whatever buzzword you want to use thing, but "fit" is in the end what these NLP are looking for. They all are fed a shitton of data, then they run on the probabilities calculated from that data.

I think visual examples help, but it's hard to show exactly what we're talking about in the field of language processing. Instead, here's a little gif of linear regression, which is pretty basic as a concept but can be extremely effective— gif might take a second to load:

I know visually this looks like "okay it's just moving a line a bit," but in reality it's creating a function that gets the closest output to all the individual outputs (y-values) of points when given their inputs (x-values). Like when in math class you had f(x) = x^2; the function is f(x), the input is (x), the output is (x^2).

Because the points on our example of linear regression aren't in a clearly defined straight line— I mean, they're all over the place— our ideal function is going to be the one that is the most accurate to them, not the one that is completely accurate. (Not all regression is linear, especially not in machine learning... but that's another topic, and even then the points are random as hell). So, just like before, the goal is to maximize the fit.

Almost all modern phones have a predictive text (or 'autofill') feature. That feature learns over time from inputs of your typing style; while at first it may not guess very well, since the original model is based on the typing styles of everyone, it eventually gets better and better at your style. Even then, it's not always going to get exactly what word you were going to say next, though whatever it provides will usually "make sense."

If you use some random uncommon word more often than most people— for me, it is "oscillation"— it will eventually "know" that you use that word more; there's a higher probability of that word coming next. It's all math, it always has been math.

For longer generations, it's a pretty similar concept— but it's not just considering the next word. The entire input is taken into account, and "coherence" becomes a thing. The program does not "know" what it has written, but let's say it's trained on a bajillion things and some of those things are conversations that go like this:

Adam: Hi, what are you going to bring up at the meeting tomorrow? I need some ideas on a topic. I have already started my presentation, here's what I have... {blablabla}
    Alice: Hello, I'm bringing up this. I think you could {more blablabla}.

I never claimed to be a good writer, or a non-lazy one. But Alice is repeating some of the things Adam says and building on it. Eventually, it's going to figure out that when replying, it will take some ideas and build on them.

The thing I want to emphasize is that natural language processing is not the only form of machine learning/AI. These concepts (and the deeper ones we use nowadays) have been around for quite some time, and you're not always going to be interfacing with some kind of NLP model, which are mostly unsupervised nowadays (so they're just given a giant amount of data and eventually learn how to do it "right"). It's probably even more exciting, to me at least, that we now have the computing power to process scientific information en masse and have a more powerful tool to find patterns.

There's a lot more than that, but yes, this was mostly just for myself to type something out since I have been itching to do it
    23andMe: 100% Levantine
    AncestryDNA: 100% Levant (North Lebanon & Mount Lebanon)
    ܫܘܒܚܐ ܠܡܪܢ ܝܫܘܥ ܡܫܝܚܐ ♰
    My mtFull

Banned
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish-Karachay
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA