R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,432
    Given: 6,363

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Yes and no. I doubt most Scandinavians would see Carlos Alcaraz as 'one of them', and conversely nor IMHO would most Southern Europeans see Erling Haaland as 'one of them', even without knowing who either of them are first.
    That's the edge of that "out of the norm". They are both atypical even for their own countries.

Which ones in your opinion are barely if at all passable even in Southern France?
    Im not gonna bother trying to list that, mostly some guys for some reasons.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,252
    Given: 30,082

0 Not allowed!

Yes, the Salford crowd has noticeably more non-whites. More generally, I am certainly no pan-Europeanist/White identitarian of course, but while we may pick out the differences between the Elche and Salford photos, at the end of the day would most Japanese or Senegalese people be able to do the same?
    Most people know stuff all about things like genetics. A lot of people here in Australia though do know if someone is Italian or English etc. It's always been a migrant country and I've always been hyper aware of things like that. I would think many people have a general awareness of population's looks but it isn't always easy to pick where an individual is from for example. So any population in Europe can have people that can pass in any other European country but group photos will always have people that give the population away.

Most people aren't really into phenotypes and genetics though. They might be interested if you tell them some things but it is like anything in that only a certain portion of people are interested in certain subjects. Some people like bird watching or even going to certain places where there are particular flowers or plants or doing origami. It takes all types.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 09:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,910
    Given: 44,435

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Most people know stuff all about things like genetics. A lot of people here in Australia though do know if someone is Italian or English etc. It's always been a migrant country and I've always been hyper aware of things like that. I would think many people have a general awareness of population's looks but it isn't always easy to pick an where an individual is from for example. So any population in Europe can have people that can pass in any other European country but group photos will always have people that give the population away.

Most people aren't really into phenotypes and genetics though. They might be interested if you tell them some things but it is like anything in that only a certain portion of people are interested in certain subjects. Some people like bird watching or even going to certain places where there are particular flowers or plants or doing origami. It takes all types.
    Well Australia is primarily a European-descended nation, where many of the British and Irish descendants and almost all the descendants of other Europeans are pretty recent. However, could most Australians tell apart a Korean from a Cambodian or a Kenyan from a Senegalese as much as they can an Englishman from a Greek? Because the genetic differences among the latter pair are actually the smallest of all, even if that is not how our visual and cultural perceptions may see things.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 09:02 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,670
    Given: 6,130

0 Not allowed!

Oh so now you admit it? Will you also finally admit that rather more Afghans pass in neighbouring Pakistan (even if as atypical or light types) than anywhere in Europe?
    Well I did say that the Kalash actually remind me more of Spaniards than Tunisians, north Africans are often totally black haired and eyed while a lot of Afghans, Iranians and Tajiks have lighter brown hair and mixed eyes, many are nothing like the Pakistanis you see in Bradford or Harrow etc.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petalpusher View Post
    That's the edge of that "out of the norm". They are both atypical even for their own countries.
    I am not sure about Haaland (probably has some Saami ancestry), but while Alcaraz is darker-than-average for Spain he is not that rare either.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver109 View Post
    Well I did say that the Kalash actually remind me more of Spaniards than Tunisians, north Africans are often totally black haired and eyed while a lot of Afghans, Iranians and Tajiks have lighter brown hair and mixed eyes, many are nothing like the Pakistanis you see in Bradford or Harrow etc.
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...issingThePoint

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,252
    Given: 30,082

0 Not allowed!

Well Australia is primarily a European-descended nation, where many of the British and Irish descendants and almost all the descendants of other Europeans are pretty recent. However, could most Australians tell apart a Korean from a Cambodian or a Kenyan from a Senegalese as much as they can an Englishman from a Greek? Because the genetic differences among the latter pair are actually the smallest of all, even if that is not how our visual and cultural perceptions may see things.
    I think they could tell the difference between a Korean and a Cambodian for example. They look quite different.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,432
    Given: 6,363

0 Not allowed!

I am not sure about Haaland (probably has some Saami ancestry), but while Alcaraz is darker-than-average for Spain he is not that rare either.
    I don't remember seeing one Norwegian who looked like him but the Saami thing might pop up regularly where i didn't see. Norway i thought was interesting, my take is they both look more continental than Swedes and also more hardcore Germanic at times.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    I think they could tell the difference between a Korean and a Cambodian for example. They look quite different.
    Usually, but I think there are some people who have a more "generic East Asian" look among both groups as well. Not all Koreans are pale and skinny and not all Cambodians look quasi-Negrito.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petalpusher View Post
    Norway i thought was interesting, my take is they both look more continental than Swedes and also more hardcore Germanic at times.
    Do you mean they look more Western European than the more Baltid-looking Swedes?

Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread Information