Page 155 of 155 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155
Results 1,541 to 1,549 of 1549

Thread: Feiichy travel diary - central Europe (13.-29.6.2024.)

Last Online
    Today @ 12:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Kashubian
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,116
    Given: 1,196

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post

Czechs have great humor tho, maybe best among all Slavs. But certainly a peculiar mentality, to put it politely.
    Without a doubt, it even beats Monty Python. They can laugh at themselves, which is rare. I lived for quite a long time among Czechs and Moravians. There are often very nice people there, especially in Moravia.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuh
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27,039
    Given: 22,921

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by #Oda# View Post
    However, this seems to be a contradiction regarding a certain man here, who for sure considers himself as an Alpha Mnnchen.
    How we behave in a forum, I doubt it is entirely how we would behave in person.

Here we can behave very bravely and aggressively, because there are hardly any consequences for doing such a thing.

I always perceive aggressiveness and arrogance as a sign of weakness, misunderstanding of the environment and insecurity rather than strength, dominance or control of the situation.

In a forum and in person.

"Amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas"

"Dimidium facti, qui coepit, habet: sapere aude, incipe."

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    NW German
    Country
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    Tronder (G25)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,047
    Given: 840

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixajo View Post
    How we behave in a forum, I doubt it is entirely how we would behave in person.

Here we can behave very bravely and aggressively, because there are hardly any consequences for doing such a thing.

I always perceive aggressiveness and arrogance as a sign of weakness, misunderstanding of the environment and insecurity rather than strength, dominance or control of the situation.

In a forum and in person.
    Yes, I agree, especially to what I made bold; this is for sure mostly true, but probably not in this special case.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Kashubian
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,116
    Given: 1,196

1 Not allowed!

Among the rational and often selfish majority of Czechs/Moravians, one can find a great deal of diamond individuals.
    I must mention two cases of noble and altruistic behavior.

Once our car was so damaged that no car repair shop undertook to help in a reasonable time.
    A professor of the technical school in Brno, who was passing by, became interested in what had happened. During the weekend, his students prepared the appropriate element in the school workshops and we were able to continue the journey. What is more, the honorable professor refused to accept the payment.

Another case is a family with whom we have become friends. After a few months, they pressed us to accept the gift- part of their collection of paintings, which was very embarrassing because we didn't deserve it in any way. It is worth noting that they had a very seriously ill only child, which probably caused their empathetic and overprotective character.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:07 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    Sephardic Jewish
    Country
    Israel
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Ignosticism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 828
    Given: 657

2 Not allowed!

Thank you for posting incredible pics Florstadt!!!

Feel free to post any from Prague you like in here.

I guess you missed little entry on church side (if I recall) where you can buy tickets to climb on the Cathedral Tower via stairs.
    We discovered it accidentaly! You must do it next time you are in Prague, it's absolutely worth it and you see bell construction inside too.

I hope to post more pics soon, Daki has much better ones.
    Your discovery of the hidden stairway to the tower sounds like a scene straight out of a medieval treasure hunt! I must have missed that entry perhaps I was too focused on avoiding a gargoyles gaze or deciphering the stained glass stories. Next time, Ill be sure to channel my inner Indiana Jones and climb those stairs to see the bell construction inside. The view from the top must be simply divine!

I'm eagerly awaiting more of your amazing photos! It seems you have a knack for capturing intriguing angles and compositions (a field Im trying to improve in recently with, ahem, mixed results). I'm currently waiting for my friends to share their trip photos with me. In the meantime, I'll be sharing my photos from St. George's Cathedral (Czech: Bazilika sv. Jiř).

During my brief visit to St. George's Cathedral, I was mesmerized by the intricate details and the sheer scale of the architecture. The soaring ceilings and the echo of footsteps on ancient stone floors made me feel like Id stepped into another era. I even had a moment of contemplation in front of the majestic altar, feeling the weight of centuries of history around me. I heard from historians that this basilica is recognized as the second oldest church in the city. Over the centuries, many members of the Czech Royal Dynasty were buried in the Prague Castle basilica.

However, the human bones displayed in the altar of St. John of Nepomuk, located in the chapel of St. George's Basilica, belong to someone who lived long before the Bohemian kingdom was established, St. Theodora. Very little is known about this early Christian saint. She probably lived around 120 AD in Rome and was martyred together with her brother, St. Hermes, whom she had cared for when he was imprisoned. They were both buried on the Salarian road outside of Rome, and later, the bones of St. Theodora were gifted to St. George's Basilica in Prague.

Keep those photos coming, and who knows, maybe one day I'll surprise you with some of my own photo 'masterpieces' (or at least something that vaguely resembles one)!

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,738
    Given: 6,633

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    Among the rational and often selfish majority of Czechs/Moravians, one can find a great deal of diamond individuals.
    I must mention two cases of noble and altruistic behavior.

Once our car was so damaged that no car repair shop undertook to help in a reasonable time.
    A professor of the technical school in Brno, who was passing by, became interested in what had happened. During the weekend, his students prepared the appropriate element in the school workshops and we were able to continue the journey. What is more, the honorable professor refused to accept the payment.

Another case is a family with whom we have become friends. After a few months, they pressed us to accept the gift- part of their collection of paintings, which was very embarrassing because we didn't deserve it in any way. It is worth noting that they had a very seriously ill only child, which probably caused their empathetic and overprotective character.
    That's wonderful. You had great luck to encounter good people. Thanks for sharing cass.

My dad has similar. His Czech family were good and caring people. They were on road to Adriatic summer vacation and accidentaly got lost in central Croatia. My dad was playing on ste street and they asked if he can help them with direction. He called my grandpa who helped them.

Family said they had boy of similar age in Prag and that they can exchange contact and asked if my dad would like to write to him as pen friend.

It was different times.

Dad wrote and they invited him to Prag every summer plus that Czech boy would come to Croatia every summer too. He learned to swimm here and my dad perfected ice skating in there. Now that boy is retired psychiatrist in Prague and still in contact with my dad who loved Czechia and Czechs.

This family was half German tho, but politically entirely Czech.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,738
    Given: 6,633

1 Not allowed!

Lovely pics Florstadt, thank you for posting! I will come back and explain you how to reach that Tower too!

Have a lovely day

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    Sephardic Jewish
    Country
    Israel
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Ignosticism
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Lovely pics Florstadt, thank you for posting! I will come back and explain you how to reach that Tower too!

Have a lovely day
    Thank you, Feiichy! Ill be eagerly awaiting your Tower-reaching directions no GPS required! Wishing you a day as lovely as your compliments.

By the way, has your throat infection taken a vacation? I bet the heat scared those bacteria away!

Stay healthy and fabulous!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    Sephardic Jewish
    Country
    Israel
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Ignosticism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    Cheers guys, will be back with more pics when catch time, I have to move out from my rented flat today so I will be busy

Trivia: our city main Cathedral is also called St. Vitus.

Hope you've finally unpacked and that the moving madness has settled like the calm after a Sunday "mess"! When you've got a moment, could you enlighten us with some divine details about your city's Cathedral of St. Vitus? I stumbled upon a fascinating tidbit about a gothic crucifix from the 13th century. Legend has it that in 1296, someone had a less-than-saintly moment and hurled a stone at it, causing it to bleed, and the blood is still kept in the church!

I promise not to "altar" your words too much, but with your blessing, I'd love to "pillar" your insights into an article for the Hebrew Wikipedia. You'd be surprised, our article on Rijeka is already quite a monumental read, but we can always make it even more divine.

Looking forward to your saintly stories!

Page 155 of 155 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155

Thread Information