Nordicism
    Religion
    fatalism is realism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Icehockey world championship - Latvia

There is Icehockey world championship running this and next week and Latvia is always a part of it for a long time!! Icehockey is the national sport of Latvia we all love our national team. We are not the best but also never the worst!!

Latvia is on a good way now. First match was against USA , we lost 2:4 but it is not bad because USA is one of the best teams!!

Second match was against Sweden and we won 3:2 after penalty!! pew lol! ^_^

Third match was against Austria and we won with 2:0 ----- eaaasy

And now we play currently the first match in qualiying round for quarter final and lead against Switzerland with 1:0 !! If the result stays we are on the best way for Quarter finals. Maybe we meet Canada as the oponent that will be a hard match?? But Latvia was winning against USA and Canada some times in the past.

Latvian Icehockey team!

Last edited by Inese; 04-30-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Latvian-German Friendship

Last Online
    07-26-2021 @ 03:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Politics
    True Pan-European
    Religion
    atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

I heard that ethnic Latvians support ice hockey team and Latvian Russians- football team...Is it true?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Ahh most excellent Inese! Another female hockey fan on board. Great to see!

Did you know that hockey is also Canada's national sport?

Three cheers for our national hockey teams! May they all enjoy success.

Last Online
    08-06-2011 @ 05:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Latvian-German
    Ancestry
    75% Latvian 25% German
    Country
    Latvia
    Taxonomy
    Baltid-Nordic
    Politics
    Nordicism
    Religion
    fatalism is realism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Wow we won the next match , the first one in qualifying round!!! 2:1 against Switzerland after penalty!

http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-wo...ash=8ce3799010

That makes 3 wins in 4 games!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmata
    I heard that ethnic Latvians support ice hockey team and Latvian Russians- football team...Is it true?
    Hm not normal because there are no or not much Russians in Latvian soccer team. Latvian Russians always support motherland Russia be it Icehockey or football you know?? But Icehockey is our national sport and i dont know much about football.

Yes Aemma i know that hockey is your national sport too!! It is no surprise ----- Canada has one of the best teams of the world and wins the champonship very often. Your team is very good they win often high , maybe our teams meet in quarter final.
    have you heard from Latvian hockey team in the past?? We are no newcomers
    Last edited by Inese; 04-30-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Inese View Post
    Wow we won the next match , the first one in qualifying round!!! 2:1 against Switzerland after penalty!

http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-wo...ash=8ce3799010

That makes 3 wins in 4 games!!
    Excellent! Congratulations!!

have you heard from Latvian hockey team in the past?? We are no newcomers
    Yes although I knew that Latvia had a team, I must admit that I tend to watch professional hockey more than I do amateur hockey--the NHL specifically (National Hockey League). Having said this however, my son will usually inform me of what's been happening in the worlds games, when he checks the sports news. I do watch hockey during the Olympics though. I find it too bad that it is full of professional players these days (well Canada's, the USA's, Sweden's and Finland's teams especially who mainly come from the NHL) and not an amateur sport anymore.

I wish Latvia well, Inese. So far so good it seems. And yes perhaps our respective teams will meet in the quarter finals.

Cheers for now Inese!...Aemma

Last Online
    04-15-2014 @ 01:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Alemanni, Suebi.
    Country
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    Borreby/Nordalpinoid + Atlantonordoid
    Politics
    Platonic NS
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Third match was against Austria and we won with 2:0 ----- eaaasy
    LOL, I watched that painful game. If you lived a little closer, I would have probably offered to watch that "endgame" with you, being the most fervent sports spectator since records began, and you would have seen me going fairly berserk at Austria's imbecility. I actually wondered whether you'd be following the game, considering the wide following of Ice Hockey in Latvia.

At least we didn't make as utter fools of ourselves as in the first two matches, but for some reason we're still too stupid to score any goals. Five-minute powerplay and not a single shot on goal within those five minutes - embarassing. You'd expect that having the fifth-best goalscorer in the NHL (Thomas Vanek) play for you should guarantee at least offensive skill. Scoring nil goals against one of the world's best countering-teams is pure suicide...

Well, good luck in the next round. We're back down into the relegation round. So, chances are - see you again in two years, Top Division. At least Germany can't be relegated due to hosting it, but since Austria probably will, it's still painful.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 05-01-2009 at 12:53 AM.

Last Online
    07-26-2021 @ 03:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Politics
    True Pan-European
    Religion
    atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

It will be fun when Latvia will met Russian team

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Latvian-German
    Ancestry
    75% Latvian 25% German
    Country
    Latvia
    Taxonomy
    Baltid-Nordic
    Politics
    Nordicism
    Religion
    fatalism is realism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    Yes although I knew that Latvia had a team, I must admit that I tend to watch professional hockey more than I do amateur hockey--the NHL specifically (National Hockey League).
    Hm i dont know NHL we Latvians love icehockey when our National team is playing somewhere!! Leagues i dont find them interesting. But many profis are at world championship ----- do Canada send only amateurs in to the national team??? Because famous players are in the American teams also , Canada and USA.
    I do watch hockey during the Olympics though. I find it too bad that it is full of professional players these days (well Canada's, the USA's, Sweden's and Finland's teams especially who mainly come from the NHL) and not an amateur sport anymore.
    Why do you think it is bad??? More profis means better matches!!? In Europe it is normal that the best player of a country go to the national team because it must be creme of the creme

I wish Latvia well, Inese. So far so good it seems. And yes perhaps our respective teams will meet in the quarter finals.
    Thaaaanks you too!! But the Canada team is a monster they won against Czechia 5:1 yesterday , they win high so often.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    LOL, I watched that painful game. If you lived a little closer, I would have probably offered to watch that "endgame" with you, being the most fervent sports spectator since records began, and you would have seen me going fairly berserk at Austria's imbecility. I actually wondered whether you'd be following the game, considering the wide following of Ice Hockey in Latvia.
    Hey dont be sad that you lost you will have new chances!! I watch only when our team plays in important cometitions and world championships are very important for my country.
    You'd expect that having the fifth-best goalscorer in the NHL (Thomas Vanek) play for you should guarantee at least offensive skill. Scoring nil goals against one of the world's best countering-teams is pure suicide...
    We have Edgars Masalskis , a super goalkeeper!! Latvian team is not very offensive but the team waits for good chances and attacks like a panther!! In game yesterday the team let the Switzerlanders come and at the right moment we bite!! ^_^

Funny was that the flag of Austria and Latvia are extreme smiliar!! When the match result was blended in it was like one country team A plays against the same country team B --- lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmata View Post
    It will be fun when Latvia will met Russian team
    Last edited by Inese; 05-01-2009 at 11:06 AM.

Last Online
    04-15-2014 @ 01:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Alemanni, Suebi.
    Country
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    Borreby/Nordalpinoid + Atlantonordoid
    Politics
    Platonic NS
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Hey dont be sad that you lost you will have new chances!!
    Well, the relegation round starts against Hungary this evening. We definitely have to win that on, and the one against Denmark. Germany is probably too good for us to beat.

I watch only when our team plays in important cometitions and world championships are very important for my country.
    In Ice Hockey, mostly the same here. Though I did go to the hockey stadium last year when we played Russia in a "friendly" and managed to get them to the edge of defeat, closely missing out in the final third and losing 7:9.

With my local team voluntarily relegated to the second highest league for financial reasons, there's not much choice really; and even though our local football team is also in the second highest league (shame really, as the third most successful team in Austria with 10 championships we don't really deserve to be down there), I'll have to stick with football on club level.

We have Edgars Masalskis , a super goalkeeper!! Latvian team is not very offensive but the team waits for good chances and attacks like a panther!! In game yesterday the team let the Switzerlanders come and at the right moment we bite!! ^_^
    Exactly, and that's the big point. If you play against Latvia and fail to score goals, then you conceive them in return. Perhaps not the most attractive style of play, but very effective. Let's hope you can beat the Russians, too, on Sunday! Go and kick their Soviet butts!

Funny was that the flag of Austria and Latvia are extreme smiliar!! When the match result was blended in it was like one country team A plays against the same country team B --- lol
    Yea, I know, your white stripe is a little thinner and the red's a bit darker, but other than that the same pattern . When I was a little, unknowing 9-year-old boy watching the Winter Olympics in 1998, I accidentally cheered for the Latvian lugers, too, LOL.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Latvian-German
    Ancestry
    75% Latvian 25% German
    Country
    Latvia
    Taxonomy
    Baltid-Nordic
    Politics
    Nordicism
    Religion
    fatalism is realism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

On saturday we won against France with 7:1!! But the match against Russia was shit , we lost. No comment needed!! USA lost against russia also.

But chances for quarter final are not lost we have a good rank in qualifying round.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information