View Poll Results: What is your religion?

Voters
599. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian - Catholic

88 14.69%
  • Christian - Protestant

57 9.52%
  • Christian - Orthodox

48 8.01%
  • Christian - Other

26 4.34%
  • Heathenism - Traditional religion

78 13.02%
  • Islam

37 6.18%
  • Buddhism

4 0.67%
  • Hinduism

5 0.83%
  • Any other - please specify

45 7.51%
  • Non-religious - Atheism and Agnosticism

211 35.23%
Page 1 of 76 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Which religion do you follow?

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,917
    Given: 44,995

2 Not allowed!

Default Which religion do you follow?

The question is straightforward. Tell us about it, and your level of devotion to it.

Let me know if you want more options in the poll.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    11-08-2012 @ 08:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

There is no god, gods, spirit of the universe, benevolent energy, ghosts, spirits, fairies, unicorns, magic, ESP, supernatural beings, life after death, etc...

There is nature.

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." [Thomas Jefferson]
    Last edited by Thorum; 05-01-2009 at 05:28 AM.

Last Online
    07-08-2012 @ 11:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ethnicity
    European Blood, American Soil
    Ancestry
    Barbarians the Romans couldn't handle
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Philadelphia
    Politics
    Tradition and improvisation
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

If there were multiple options I would have checked each of these:

Heathen (where my heart is: spirituality attuned to the rhythms of nature and guided by the imagery of Norse mythology)

Protestant (as the heritage of my family though it has been several generations since any of us has stepped foot in a church for a reason other than architectural or musical appreciation. I was also shaped by episcopalian, presbyterian,and lutheran traditions which are distinct from catholic, orthodox, evangelical, jewish, or muslim cultures)

Agnostic (as a philosophical stance)

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:39 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 20

3 Not allowed!

Roman Catholicism.

I probably veer towards a more traditional strain of Catholicism, though. Ever since I attended a Traditional Latin Mass almost twenty years ago, I have had a great affinity for a pre Vatican II style of Catholicism. Some of the vile practices I'd like to see supressed in the Church today: female altar servers, communion in the hand and lay people prancing all over the sanctuary, to name a few. These are trendy additions to the Mass that should be relegated to the liturgical closet of shame, along with the congregational sign of peace. Vatican II was an absolute and utter disaster, and it's really no surprise that Catholics are leaving the Church in droves.

As far as personal piety goes, others have said I'm devout, though I'd be reluctant to say so myself. I attend Mass weekly, go to Confession fairly regularly and say the Rosary daily. Nothing special, really, and I know others who are far more devout than I.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Sweden
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Sigtun
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

1 Not allowed!

Lutheran.

Part of it for respect towards my ancestors. Some of it for appreciation of its moral values, which has proven it’s worth through generations. A bit is faith, I believe in the core message. One reason is contempt towards atheism and secular society, which is the main cause of declining civilization and nations. Old fashion fear of God in reasonable doses is good.

I have trouble with church-going, forgiving and a lot of other Christian creeds. Spiritually, my esteem of nature and material, my appreciation of women might not be very Christian.

I do not attend Mass. I respect other Christian sects that are high church more than those that are enthusiastic and unstable. And Buddhism makes a lot of sense.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

My religiosity is a complex issue to which there is no tight one-word description. For those interested, I'll break it down into categories for some semblance of coherence:

Ontology: I do not believe that any God is ontologically primary. I suppose one could deify and worship those entities that are truly thought to be primary (i.e. being, time, process), but there is no extant tradition of this.

Metaphysics: I do not believe any mythic cosmogony or cosmology to be true in the sense that the cosmogonies and cosmologies put forth by physicists are true. I believe that Jung and Campbell were correct in that these mythic matrices tell us more about the structures of our own psyches than do they the external world around us. Also, I am a monistic materialist. I do not believe in any substance other than matter/energy (which, as General Relativity tells us, are the same substance). I do not believe that there is a "soul" which is separate from the bio-electro-chemical pattern produced by our central nervous system that we call the "mind."

Epistemology: I follow Hans Vaihinger in espousing the epistemological view of Fictionalism. This relates directly to the way in which I view religions in general. Defining Fictionalism, Vaihinger states in The Philosophy of "As If" (p. viii):

Fictionalism is as follows: An idea whose theoretical untruth or incorrectness, and therewith its falsity, is admitted, is not for that reason practically valueless and useless; for such an idea, in spite of its theoretical nullity may have great practical importance.
    Going off that, I believe that various religious paradigms (regardless of the falsity of their mythic cosmogonies and cosmologies) have a utilitarian value which has yet to be rivaled even slightly by any other system of thought. I believe that religion and only religion can successfully bind together an ethnic group. I believe that if we are to survive as a people, it will only be so if we have a spiritually in tact core to our society. The study that Wat Tyler poster elsewhere discussing the levels of religiosity in the US showed one thing: the areas with the highest levels of religiosity also have the lowest levels of miscegenation in the US. Heathenry is particularly suited to this purpose since it is, by nature, ancestrally based and ethnocentric. Christianity has served this function admirably in the past, but it's core of universalism has been lessening this effect in nearly all extant sects.

Aesthetics: For me, utilitarianism aside, religion is a principally aesthetic phenomena. When I step outside, I know from my education in the physical sciences that the sun is a flaming ball of gas; I know that the night sky is simple emptiness; I know that the moon is a hunk of rock; I know that the colors of the dawn are a trick of the sunlight. However, my knowledge of the mechanics of these is not replaced by my religion. Rather, my religion allows me to determine the way in which my mind interacts with these phenomena. For me, one of the most valuable things religion (and I'm primarily speaking of pagan religions here) can give us is a sense that Nature is sacred. Religion can allow us to be filled with senses of wonder, awe and numinosity as we gaze at the majesty of Nature.

Theology: Now, adding on to everything that's been said previously, I do believe that the Gods and Goddesses of all pantheons exist. I do not believe that they have any physical existence though. I believe that they exist in us and, just like our ancestors, are kept alive by us remembering them, telling tales about them, and celebrating their holy days. I believe that were we to die, our Gods would die with us. I believe that Jung was right in this area too, that the Gods exist within the Collective Unconscious of the peoples who created them. Myths are the dreams of a race.

Postmortem States: I do not believe in an afterlife. I believe that once your brain ceases to function, you are dead. My beliefs are est expressed by a verse from the Hávamál:

Cattle die, kinsmen die
    the self must also die;
    I know one thing which never dies:
    the reputation of each dead man.
    I believe in two types of immortality, the genetic type that we achieve through having children, and the type that men who do great deeds achieve.

I'm sure I left out a whole bunch. If you got any further questions about my beliefs, feel free to ask. It's always a work in progress and I'm always open to intelligent debate about any aspect of my thought.

Numinous Theurgist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    French & German
    Ancestry
    Aquitània (Maternal), Vörpommern (Paternal)
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid/Nordomediterranid + Minor Dinaroid (Agrippa)
    Politics
    Neo-Feudalist; Neu-Ordenstaat / Aristocratist
    Religion
    Esoteric Traditionalism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorum View Post
    benevolent energy, ghosts, spirits
    I tend to believe that benevolent energy, ghosts, and spirits of the land, family and kin are all part of nature, our homes and the environment we inhabit which is why I think they should be respected, honoured, and never spoken ill of. I believe people can be tormented, or influenced by their actions by a Dæmon, Furies, Landwights or whatever you like to call them, leading people to depression, suicide, or even murder(s). Most often it is invited, but not to say it couldn't be beaten. I could go on but I won't. ^_^
    "Free, do you call yourself? Then I would hear your ruling thought, and not merely that you have escaped from a yoke. Are you one of those who had the right to escape from a yoke? Many a one has cast away his last worth when he has cast away his servitude. Free from what? What does that matter to Zarathustra! But your fiery eyes should tell me: free for what?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Banned
    Last Online
    03-13-2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Suomalainen
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Itämerensuomalainen/Baltic Finn
    Politics
    Send in the jack-booted thugs
    Religion
    That which does not kill us makes us stranger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69

0 Not allowed!

I think of myself as an indifferent agnostic. I do respect (and in some cases, admire) people with more clearly defined religious convictions than mine, but I go to some lenghts in order to not number myself among them.
    Last edited by Eldritch; 05-01-2009 at 10:18 AM.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    Flanders
    Region
    Picardie
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

I follow Roman Catholicism since I was baptised in 1994. Though I rarely attend the mass, even less pray at home, both of my grandma do it though. Young people have lost their faith maybe. Except for young Muslims. In that sense, I can admire them and islam.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,917
    Given: 44,995

1 Not allowed!

I came to be a practicing Christian when I was 13 years old. I stayed with the faith until I was 27, then the doubts kicked in, and I became a realist. I am still an atheist, and now in my mid-thirties.

I can see the value of a practical tradition, as expressed in the heathenism of indigenous religions and beliefs. We have evolved along with our cultures, although the latter is far more recent and therefore more superficial. Nevertheless I am interested in exploring the wisdom of old, accumulated by trial and error, and philosophy of many generations. However neopaganism is not exactly an uninterrupted base of knowledge. It will have to be built up again, truths rediscovered. What I am unwilling to case aside though, is the knowledge of scientific research which has opened up many secrets of life, previously only understood through religious mysticism. In many ways we are past that stage. Reverting back to a previous state of ignorance is not exactly wise. I'm talking too much.

For me, I am first and foremost a realist. I don't believe in the physical existence of any god. A god or gods may exist in our minds, thoughts and desires. But they cannot exist without us, as they do not exist as independent entities.

Page 1 of 76 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread Information