View Poll Results: What is your religion?

Voters
599. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian - Catholic

88 14.69%
  • Christian - Protestant

57 9.52%
  • Christian - Orthodox

48 8.01%
  • Christian - Other

26 4.34%
  • Heathenism - Traditional religion

78 13.02%
  • Islam

37 6.18%
  • Buddhism

4 0.67%
  • Hinduism

5 0.83%
  • Any other - please specify

45 7.51%
  • Non-religious - Atheism and Agnosticism

211 35.23%
Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Which religion do you follow?

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

I identify with the ancient mystery religions, which are initiatic and urban. I believe in a sort of monism. In ancient times, it was normal for someone to belong to several cults (in the ancient sense) at once. One could be initiated into the mysteries of Mithras, Isis, Dea Syria, Mars and not have any sense of conflict about it. Hinduism in its most highly developed form, Advaita Vedanta unifies different ideas and reduces things to nirguna Brahman that is to say a supreme spirit without attributes, but can be attributed attributes (saguna Brahman), a sort of contradiction.

I believe that nature is at once fluid and orderly. There are established patterns, but also an infinite number of variations. In certain Hindu texts, Brahman is referred to as the Manifest and the Unmanifest... I believe Brahman is both masculine and feminine, and neither at the same time. This is contradiction I know, but that which establishes laws need not also itself be restrained by those laws. We are ultimately not capable of understanding it except perhaps through experience (meditation, entheogens etc.)

Mediterranean indigenous religion, before its being supplanted by Christianity by imperial decree, was starting to evolve toward monism, that is, a belief in many gods united under a single divine force, or numinosity. This has its cognate in Hindu Dharma (which is a misnomer, Hindu is the Persian rendering of the Sindhu river, which was transmitted to the British who had a habit of categorizing everything, and having no other word for Indian indigenous customs, beliefs, and its vast often contradictory body of philosophies, used the term 'Hindu' as a convenient umbrella.) The term used in the texts was Sanathana Dharma i.e. the eternal religion (way, custom, natural law.. compare to Greek nomos, Roman Mos maiorum) because it never occurred to them to give their beliefs a name, this was an alien phenomenon exclusive to the Abrahamic creeds.

The Vedic people had a habit of exalting a particular deity as the highest deity while they were composing poems in honour of that deity to the exclusion of all others. This was called henotheism by the German indologist Max Mueller.. i.e. the belief that while other gods existed, by the devotee they were not necessarily regarded.

This manifested itself later on in Vedanta (Sanskrit: ved-anta lit. "The end of the Vedas" or "End of Knowledge") where any personal deity could be identified with the Absolute (Brahman). In this way, my ishta devi or patron deity is the goddess Kali as to me she represents the underlying fabric of reality, i.e. the most primal manifestation of that which is, blood, death, night, frenzy, dissolution, disorder, dynamic energy.. She calls to me in my innermost being, she is very literally encoded in my being. Something that I cannot transcend, nor do I really seek to, but instead I seek to celebrate and live in accordance with it.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

i'ma educated foo w/money on my mind Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Taxonomy
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 31

2 Not allowed!

I am/was raised Catholic. I'm really not that religious, but much of my family has been Catholic for hundreds of years and well, tradition is important to me and I see no reason to break it. So, if I have children they will be baptised Catholic and go to Catholic church.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Psychoactive
    Ethnicity
    Green ;)
    Taxonomy
    Artemisia absinthium
    Religion
    Obscure
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 49

0 Not allowed!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post
    Hinduism in its most highly developed form, Advaita Vedanta unifies different ideas and reduces things to nirguna Brahman that is to say a supreme spirit without attributes, but can be attributed attributes (saguna Brahman), a sort of contradiction.
    Advaita Vedanta is the highest form of Hinduist traditions for you? Interesting...care to elaborate?

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-style American
    Ethnicity
    California dreaming
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I am a Northern European pagan. I used to be Christian, but that way just wasn't for me.

I also believe that whatever you believe in, whether it is God, Jesus, Sheva, Odin, or even the Flying Spaghetti Monster, whoever devotes spiritual and emotional energy into believing in this entity, or thought system feeds its lifeforce so to speak. I remember that really bad miniseries of Merlin from the mid 90s, and Queen Mab died when everyone stopped believing in her. I think that it's the same thing. I believe that the Jewish, Christian, Islamic God did not used to be as powerful as it is now. The more people that worship it, and devote energy to it, the stronger and powerful it becomes. Our spiritualism is energy, and we in a sense nuture our own Gods and Goddesses through our devotion.

In that same vein, I also firmly believe that what you believe happens to you after death will happen. Atheists will just cease to be, Christians go to heaven, Hindus reincarnate, and those who are Odinists or the like (like me! ) will go to one of the Halls of our Gods, or to Helheim, depending on how we live our lives. I don't believe that just because I'm a heathen that I'm going to the Christian hell. I have to believe in the Christian god, and in Satan for that to happen to me.

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-06-2022 @ 11:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    English, Scots- Irish, Cajun French
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Martin Luther, Martin Chemnitz
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,664
    Given: 10,470

0 Not allowed!

No preferred religion.I honor nature, I'm aware of many wonderful theories from the scientific community regarding the creation of the universe and I've been involved in so many religions, I've come to believe that religion is subjective.At death, I believe that parts of my personality will rub off on the people I come into contact with and my physical and psychological genes will be inherited by my children and their descendants.My body will either disintegrate or turn to cinders, to be scattered to the wind.Nothing special, I'm just like any other organism! I do try to keep an open mind, but not one so open that my brain falls out. Afterlife? Any objective recording of such a thing? Nope.Anything's possible, but as personalities can alter dramatically even from one month to the next, I don't believe in some personality suddenly static and immortal because the brain and heart ceased to function.Dead is dead, although we do live on in the minds and hearts of those closest to us.Any energy we disperse is recycled back into the earth.I can only hope that once my body's absorbed into dust, some descendant might have the common courtesy to plant some high grade marijuana or some corn to be used for moonshine in my soil.. I'd like to think my remains would be put to some constructive use.
    Last edited by Gooding; 05-01-2009 at 11:53 PM.

puttin' in yer windies Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2013 @ 04:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Frigga'sSpindle View Post
    I am a Northern European pagan. I used to be Christian, but that way just wasn't for me.

I also believe that whatever you believe in, whether it is God, Jesus, Sheva, Odin, or even the Flying Spaghetti Monster, whoever devotes spiritual and emotional energy into believing in this entity, or thought system feeds its lifeforce so to speak. I remember that really bad miniseries of Merlin from the mid 90s, and Queen Mab died when everyone stopped believing in her. I think that it's the same thing. I believe that the Jewish, Christian, Islamic God did not used to be as powerful as it is now. The more people that worship it, and devote energy to it, the stronger and powerful it becomes. Our spiritualism is energy, and we in a sense nuture our own Gods and Goddesses through our devotion.

In that same vein, I also firmly believe that what you believe happens to you after death will happen. Atheists will just cease to be, Christians go to heaven, Hindus reincarnate, and those who are Odinists or the like (like me! ) will go to one of the Halls of our Gods, or to Helheim, depending on how we live our lives. I don't believe that just because I'm a heathen that I'm going to the Christian hell. I have to believe in the Christian god, and in Satan for that to happen to me.
    That is a magnificent idea, and further illustrates the connection between man and "gods".

Given this it is beyond a doubt in my mind if we make great things of ourselves as men and women we ourselves can become Gods.

That inspires and alternate thought process in my own mind, perhaps Odin was once a man that became a god, my thoughts behind this are the Aesir vs. Vanir wars, that from what I've read seem to match pretty well with wars that occurred in ancient Europe and the heroes of that war were elevated to god like status, and the fact that Odin is mentioned as a father of men, men father men, Odin was once man, after great heroism and the quest for further wisdom he was elevated to God like status and replaced Tyr. I see Odin as the Indo European Champion, Njorth the champion of the coastal pre-Indo European sea travelers and coastline dwellers, Tyr perhaps the champion of the general pre-Indo European peoples (being replaced by Odin, champion of the Indo-Europeans), another thought is that Tyr and Odin were rival IE champions one more dedicated to the magics and great wisdom(Odin) the other dedicated to preserving justice and self discipline (Tyr).

That is just an alternate view in my head, it is not concrete, just a thought, it is to be read with a discriminatory mindset. I want to discuss it and have it criticized, to see if it can be a valid argument.

Last Online
    02-28-2013 @ 11:53 PM
    Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays, c'est l'hiver.
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Ethnicity
    Quebecois
    Country
    Quebec
    Region
    Quebec
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

The choice of Hinduism seems antithetical to a board dedicated to European preservationism. It represents a people, a culture and a mindset foreign to that of Europe and Europeans.

Just my two cents. ...

Banned
    Last Online
    01-30-2012 @ 05:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    The Cult of Odin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

0 Not allowed!

Hey Barreldriver,

Her post made me think too. You bring up very good points when it comes to being "gods"..

One of the things I think you are talking about goes with what Psychonaut said with..

Cattle die, kinsmen die
    the self must also die;
    I know one thing which never dies:
    the reputation of each dead man.
    And, with what Thomas Carlyle said in On Heroes, Hero-Worship, and the Heroic in History

Thought does not die, but only is changed. The first man that began to think in this Planet of ours, he was the beginner of all. And then the second man, and the third man;—nay, every true Thinker to this hour is a kind of Odin, teaches men his way of thought, spreads a shadow of his own likeness over sections of the History of the World.
    Odin is the god of poetry. Poets are the coiners of new ideas. With our Wyrd we create Worlds..!!

Later,
    -Lyfing

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Angantyr View Post
    The choice of Hinduism seems antithetical to a board dedicated to European preservationism. It represents a people, a culture and a mindset foreign to that of Europe and Europeans.

Just my two cents. ...
    Many of the same criticisms could be leveled against Christianity as well. Christianity certainly has the advantage of having been juxtaposed within European culture for quite some time, but Hinduism certainly shares more fundamental similarities with the old pre-Christian religions of Europe.

Veteran Member Lulletje Rozewater's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-24-2011 @ 10:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/French
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Holland/France/Germany
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Prussia
    Politics
    to preserve whiteness
    Religion
    none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    Roman Catholicism.

I probably veer towards a more traditional strain of Catholicism, though. Ever since I attended a Traditional Latin Mass almost twenty years ago, I have had a great affinity for a pre Vatican II style of Catholicism. Some of the vile practices I'd like to see supressed in the Church today: female altar servers, communion in the hand and lay people prancing all over the sanctuary, to name a few. These are trendy additions to the Mass that should be relegated to the liturgical closet of shame, along with the congregational sign of peace. Vatican II was an absolute and utter disaster, and it's really no surprise that Catholics are leaving the Church in droves.

As far as personal piety goes, others have said I'm devout, though I'd be reluctant to say so myself. I attend Mass weekly, go to Confession fairly regularly and say the Rosary daily. Nothing special, really, and I know others who are far more devout than I.
    The orthodox/Latin is possibly the best.
    The new-wave is a sell out.
    Although I am not a Catholic anymore,I would say it is the better way for expressing your inner self,through religion.

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread Information