View Poll Results: Do You Believe in the Fey?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 35.29%
  • No

23 45.10%
  • Not Sure

8 15.69%
  • Some

2 3.92%
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe in the Fey?

Banned
    Last Online
    01-05-2013 @ 10:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Do You Believe in the Fey?

Simple: Do you believe in the existence of faeries, the faerie realm/plane of existence, etc?

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-15-2013 @ 02:06 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    New Worlder
    Ethnicity
    American Colonial
    Ancestry
    French, Irish.
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Monarchist
    Religion
    Myself
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

0 Not allowed!

I saw a mysterious white, bright orb once, around this time last year. The anomaly took place in a parking lot around this time as well, just as it started to get dark and before they turned the parking lot lights on. This unidentified flying object zoomed in and out, in between and under cars at a rapid speed. The thing was about the size of a medium sized bird and projected a constant light at about the power of a flashlight. So it definitely couldn't have been a lightning bug or anything along those lines. Eventually, it flew into the sky and disappeared into oblivion in a blink of an eye. Not exactly sure what it is to this day, but one possibly scientific explanation is swamp gas. At the time I immediately gave it the nickname of fairy, since it reminded me of this:

Pyramidologist

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    Simple: Do you believe in the existence of faeries, the faerie realm/plane of existence, etc?
    Fairies are rooted in real people who were short of stature, particularly the Picts of Britain but obviously exaggerated overtime. Therefore i consider them my ancestors. Scholars and folklorists such as John Francis Campbell, David MacRitchie, Edward Burnett Tylor and Walter Scott all believed in the ethnological basis of fairies. Likewise i regard all myths or fairytales as having a rational historical (euhemerist) basis. To quote Haddon: ''fairy tales were stories told by men of the Iron Age of events which happened to men of the Bronze Age in their conflicts with men of the Neolithic Age''.

Pyramidologist

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I saw a mysterious white, bright orb once, around this time last year. The anomaly took place in a parking lot around this time as well, just as it started to get dark and before they turned the parking lot lights on. This unidentified flying object zoomed in and out, in between and under cars at a rapid speed. The thing was about the size of a medium sized bird and projected a constant light at about the power of a flashlight. So it definitely couldn't have been a lightning bug or anything along those lines. Eventually, it flew into the sky and disappeared into oblivion in a blink of an eye. Not exactly sure what it is to this day, but one possibly scientific explanation is swamp gas. At the time I immediately gave it the nickname of fairy, since it reminded me of this:

could have been an eye floater -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

^ These are actually on your eye itself, but make it look as if they are not. Most people who claim to see UFO's are actually just looking at floaters on their own eye. They affect 70% of people. I have loads of them.

Man, husband, cat keeper, brewer, cook, writer... Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-20-2023 @ 06:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pan-European
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    US: Canada (Mohawk, Huron and Cree) Lithuania Belarus Ukraine Moldova Germany Denmark England Wales
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Maryland
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1c1
    mtDNA
    H5
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranid between Atlantomediterranid and Gracilmediterranid with Cromagno-Alpinoid.
    Politics
    Now a center feather on the right shoulder, not on a wing, but being pushed there.
    Hero
    My Dad, Mom and Wife
    Religion
    American Heathen
    Relationship Status
    Married since June 1982
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 28

0 Not allowed!

In my understanding, the Fey folk would be akin to the Alfar, Tomte and Fetches within the Northern Tradition.

Having had encounters with such (I firmly believe), I am definitely in the camp of those who "know" of other beings than those which are usually acknowledged.
    - Stefn Piparskeggr Ullarskjaldberi

Dramedy occurs when serious and silly collide

mDNA H5 - yDNA E1b1b1c
    97.9% European, 1.6% Mohawk, 0.4% Cree, 0.1% Malian
    (also, 2.4 % Neanderthal and .6% Denisovan in there)

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyramidologist View Post
    Fairies are rooted in real people who were short of stature, particularly the Picts of Britain but obviously exaggerated overtime. Therefore i consider them my ancestors. Scholars and folklorists such as John Francis Campbell, David MacRitchie, Edward Burnett Tylor and Walter Scott all believed in the ethnological basis of fairies. Likewise i regard all myths or fairytales as having a rational historical (euhemerist) basis. To quote Haddon: ''fairy tales were stories told by men of the Iron Age of events which happened to men of the Bronze Age in their conflicts with men of the Neolithic Age''.
    Not all Faeries are short and small in stature. You have faeries from all shapes an sizes. From the tiniest sprites, to smallish piskies, to the medium nymphs, gancanaghs, and elves, to the giant trolls and giants.

This whole "Picts were pygmies" is ridiculoius. Sorry.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

The way you described it, it does not sound like swamp gas at ALL. Science cannot prove everything, remember that.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-12-2012 @ 12:50 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

0 Not allowed!

I voted no but I am a rationalist. If one can show proof one day then I will accept their existence. Don't have a problem with others believing in them though.

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

Was it a flashlight?

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapple View Post
    I voted no but I am a rationalist. If one can show proof one day then I will accept their existence. Don't have a problem with others believing in them though.
    You can't expect them to just come up and show them to yourselves. They just aren't like that. They show themselves to us when they want to.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information