Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colonization/Immigration and fault (Split; Personal Bias)

Last Online
    03-23-2012 @ 01:56 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    LOLOLOLOLOLOL

You need to lurk moar.
    I'm right you know that

Last Online
    03-23-2012 @ 01:56 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    About what? You don't seem to know the first thing about myself, other British Islanders or the history we share.
    I mean you have Pakis or Indians or Africans because of your empire am I right ?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,071
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Удри уйно View Post
    I mean you have Pakis or Indians or Africans because of your empire am I right ?
    You mean to say that the reason Britain is the country of choice in Europe for African and Pakistani immigration is because the British colonized them and they are the most familiar Europeans to these people.

When non-Europeans immigrate to Europe they often go to the country that colonized them. I.e. Algerians to France, Brazilians and Cape Verdeans to Portugal etc.

Last Online
    09-23-2013 @ 06:37 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scotland
    Country
    South Africa
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Clementina View Post
    Given that I am part Cape Verdean, I have ancestors on both sides of the slave trade and colonization, so at some point yes, some of my ancestors were colonizing for personal gain. I'm not saying that we are accountable for what our ancestors did but as a people, we cannot complain about the things we go through today given that someone of our respective ethnicity was to blame, not outside sources.
    And therein lies the rub. For how many more centuries are we to be blamed for what happened long ago?

Take the matric pass rate of 2011. It wasn't great, and people still blame apartheid. All this where, and I will only give two examples:

A disabled boy who writes with his feet, refused extra time as he wanted to pass with no special privileges. He achieved university exemption.

A boy who travelled for hours to get to school and back, lives in a shack in a squatter camp and studied by candlelight got 7 or 8 distinctions. His single mother is a maid.

What's different about these boys compared to the rest who failed dismally? They had drive and determination, and despite the obstacles, did what needed doing.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,071
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    And therein lies the rub. For how many more centuries are we to be blamed for what happened long ago?

Take the matric pass rate of 2011. It wasn't great, and people still blame apartheid. All this where, and I will only give two examples:

A disabled boy who writes with his feet, refused extra time as he wanted to pass with no special privileges. He achieved university exemption.

A boy who travelled for hours to get to school and back, lives in a shack in a squatter camp and studied by candlelight got 7 or 8 distinctions. His single mother is a maid.

What's different about these boys compared to the rest who failed dismally? They had drive and determination, and despite the obstacles, did what needed doing.
    Well it all depends on context. In general I believe that the past is just that, the past. And really, none of us today are responsible for the slave trade, colonization, or anything else that our ancestors did.

HOWEVER I still do not think I have a place to bitch and complain about the millions of mixed-race Brazilians who immigrate to my town and have given everyone else a distorted view of what it means to be Portuguese (i.e. idiots thinking samba is Portuguese music and that we all look like mulattos and what have you) because I know that the reason Brazilian mulattos and triracials exist is because my ancestors (be it through force or not) reproduced indiscriminantly with their non-European ancestors. Therefore, the blame lies not with the mixed Brazilians, but with my ancestors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information