LOCATION: GREEK PARLIAMENT (TOMB OF THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER), SYNTAGMA SQUARE, ATHENS

IMAGE 1: VILLAGES FROM EASTERN MACEDONIA

ΠΕΤΣΟΒΟ > PETSOVO. This is the older name of the modern town Pehcevo in the Republic of Macedonia. Today it is spelled Пехчево in Macedonian, but on 19th century documents the name is spelled Печово (Pechovo).

ΝΕΥΡΟΚΟΠΙ > NEVROKOPI. This is the older name of the modern town "Nevrokop" in Pirin Macedonia, which was renamed to "Goce Delchev" in 1951.

ΜΠΑΝΙΤΣΑ > BANITSA. I think this is the name of Banitsa in the Serres region in Aegean Macedonia, not the village near Lerin (Vevi). Banitsa, Serres is the village where Goce Delchev was killed. It was renamed by the Greeks to "Καρυαί - Karié".

IMAGE 2: VILLAGES FROM WESTERN MACEDONIA

ΚΛΕΙΣΟΥΡΑ > KLEISOURA. This is the Vlach village in the Kostur region of Aegean Macedonia. This village was famous because it sided with VMRO and participated in the Ilinden Uprising in 1903. This village still has the same name today. Kleisoura comes from the Slavic word Klisura meaning canyon or gorge.

ΟΣΤΡΟΒΙΤΣΑ > OSTROVITSA. I believe this is the village of Ostrovo in the Voden region in Aegean Macedonia, but I could be wrong, because "Ostrovica" is a common Slavic village name also found in Bulgaria, Croatia, Serbia, and Bosnia (Ostrov means "island" in Macedonian). Ostrovo in Aegean Macedonia was renamed to " Άρνισσα - Arnissa"

ΠΟΓΡΑΔΕΤΣ > POGRADETS. This one is obvious, it is the Macedonian town of Pogradec in Mala Prespa (Albania). Pogradec means "under the town" in Macedonian.