View Poll Results: Does hair dye or eye contact change them?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 35.58%
  • No, they still look the same

37 35.58%
  • Maybe

24 23.08%
  • Other

6 5.77%
Page 5 of 139 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: hair/eye color and phenotype

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-21-2010 @ 01:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    100% swedish, 0% German, 0% Russian, 0% Turk, 0% Ape
    Ethnicity
    Göte
    Region
    Goetaland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
    I do not think there is anything in the world like "non-mixed" green eyes or pure green eyes. In fact, I am certain of it as there is no "green" pigment human eye can produce. The only one which it can takes on all shades of yellow and brown.

I bet if you took a nice, high-resulotion, close-up pic of your brother's eyes, (like that by Vargtand or Jägerzen) we would surely notice a yellow or brown pigment.

I'd stick to what Tabiti said. There are traces of light brown pigment, radiating from the pupil and the whole of iris appears dark grey. So I'd stick to dark-mixed, which is 8-9 on the Martin's scale. Most likely 9, as you can clearly see the grey-blue iris, while at 8th degree you usually get dark green eyes.
    Cool, though what you see as brown I see usually in white light not light from a light bulb (which is yellow) I see to be closer to green then brown, as I have yet to have anyone who has seen my eyes in real say there is brown in them but oh well I hate cameras they never get the colours right.

I wonder if dark grey is rare though and where that belongs.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-26-2013 @ 10:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vargtand View Post
    Cool, though what you see as brown I see usually in white light not light from a light bulb (which is yellow) I see to be closer to green then brown, as I have yet to have anyone who has seen my eyes in real say there is brown in them but oh well I hate cameras they never get the colours right.

I wonder if dark grey is rare though and where that belongs.
    It might be yellow, not brown. And because its little, it appeares somewhat green on the blue background. I have not seen such eyes among Slavs. However, I've got a friend who is Welsh and his eyes are very similar. They are relatively dark, and its really difficult to say whether they are green or grey-blue.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Psychoactive
    Ethnicity
    Green ;)
    Taxonomy
    Artemisia absinthium
    Religion
    Obscure
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 49

0 Not allowed!

I haven't really thought about it. But I have met a lot of Greeks, and quite a few Turks from the shores as well, with green eyes.

My color, that mixture of light brown/hazel/green, is probably the second most common color in Greece. Every second person I know has that.

So to answer, I don't think it's a Northern trait. Most likely a Balkan trait.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.JPG 
Views:	311 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	2214  
    Last edited by Absinthe; 07-13-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Perhaps brown-green or hazel, or dark-green. However, I doubt 50% of Greeks have that sort of light green eyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Wat Tyler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jägerzen View Post
    Coon wrote:

Over 65 percent of Greeks have pure brown eyes, and most of these are dark brown: pure lights are sporadic, but there is a 15 per cent incidence of light-mixed iris forms.
    65% - pure brown, most of these dark brown

15% - light mixed (like the light green eyes above), which leaves us with approx...

20% - dark-mixed (green-brown, hazel, dark green, blue-brown etc)
    Last edited by Jarl; 07-13-2009 at 12:29 PM.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Psychoactive
    Ethnicity
    Green ;)
    Taxonomy
    Artemisia absinthium
    Religion
    Obscure
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
    Perhaps brown-green or hazel, or dark-green. However, I doubt 50% of Greeks have that sort of light green eyes:

Coon wrote:

65% - pure brown, most of these dark brown

15% - light mixed (like the light green eyes above), which leaves us with approx...

20% - dark-mixed (green-brown, hazel, dark green etc)

I said

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe
    My color, that mixture of light brown/hazel/green
    Don't misquote me. What does that have to do with the light green/blue eyes you posted?

P.S. Coon has not visited Greece lately.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
    Don't misquote me. What does that have to do with the light green/blue eyes you posted?
    I did not misquote you. You said you've got hazel eyes, and I said that that's most likely the prevalent "green" shade among the Greeks. As for the light green eyes I posted - it means that overall, green eyes are not necessarily a Balkan thing.

As for Coon (of whom Im not the greates fan anyway), you should argue with him and the autors of the series he relied on. I simply chose to invoke some stats here. I find it difficult to rely on "common sense" individual experience when whole population means are concerned.
    Last edited by Jarl; 07-13-2009 at 12:50 PM.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Psychoactive
    Ethnicity
    Green ;)
    Taxonomy
    Artemisia absinthium
    Religion
    Obscure
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I didn't say that green eyes are *necessarily* a balkan thing. I said that I have encountered it most frequently in Balkan ethnicities.

As for hazel, it is an intermediate of light brown and green, and I said that is really, really common in Greece. Which I can testify to, because I've lived here all my life. And Coon's studies from the 60s mean nothing to me, as I've been living here for the last 30 years and I know what I see around me.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I didn't say that green eyes are *necessarily* a balkan thing. I said that I have encountered it most frequently in Balkan ethnicities.

As for hazel, it is an intermediate of light brown and green, and I said that is really, really common in Greece. Which I can testify to, because I've lived here all my life. And Coon's studies from the 60s mean nothing to me, as I've been living here for the last 30 years and I know what I see around me.
    Like I said in the beginning, brown-green and hazel eyes seem to be pretty common throughout the Mediterranean. I do not know what series Coon relied on, however most Greeks I met seemed to have brown eyes rather than green. Definitely his data is not flawless, but I personally doubt the 50:50 brown-to-hazel/green ratio among Greeks. I reckon 15-20% would be the true statistic, with majority falling into the green-brown and hazel categories. If you do not have access to some anthro database, look it up on any Greek dating service.

Try this one:

http://eligiblegreeks.com/searchResu...en-Singles.htm

On the first page you've got about 6 Greeks with brown eyes versus one with hazel and one with green. And a few with blue - most likely of mixed Greek-American ancestry.
    Last edited by Jarl; 07-13-2009 at 12:48 PM.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Psychoactive
    Ethnicity
    Green ;)
    Taxonomy
    Artemisia absinthium
    Religion
    Obscure
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Oh, so by dating sites, and the number Greeks you've met in your life (how many, really?) you somehow have a better idea than me, right?

Have you ever visited Greece? Why are you so stubborn about it? Would you rather stick to net-nazi stereotypes than listen to someone coming from the source?

I didn't say it was 50/50, by the way. I said it is really common. How on earth did you estimate that 15-20%, by looking at dating sites?

Yes, brown eyes are the most common, hazel/green/light mixed eyes are the second most common (I'd say 30-35%) and I would also roughly estimate a 15-20% with light eyes.

I am not one of those advocating racial purity or nordicness of Greeks or what not, but I don't swallow those "all greeks are swarthy" stereotypes either. Keep them in the States, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl
    And a few with blue - most likely of mixed Greek-American ancestry.
    You'd be surprised at how much more blue-eyed Greeks you would encounter in Greece, compared to your expectations. And they're not mixed with almighty Americans.
    Last edited by Absinthe; 07-13-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Oh, so by dating sites, and the number Greeks you've met in your life (how many, really?) you somehow have a better idea than me, right?
    Look, I just want to introduce some maths here, aaaaaight???

Have you ever visited Greece? Why are you so stubborn about it? Would you rather stick to net-nazi stereotypes than listen to someone coming from the source?
    Yes. I visited it four times. And no - I do not want to stick to nazi stereotypes

I didn't say it was 50/50, by the way. I said it is really common. How on earth did you estimate that 15-20%, by looking at dating sites?
    No I done it like this:

1. I subtracted 65% from 100% - for the pure brown eyes

2. Then I subtracter 5% for the "sporadic" pure blue eyes

3. Then, the remaining 30%, hides our greens (all shades), but also other shades of blue-mixed eyes.

Yes, brown eyes are the most common, hazel/green/light mixed eyes are the second most common (I'd say 30-35%) and I would also roughly estimate a 15-20% with light eyes.

I am not one of those advocating racial purity or nordicness of Greeks or what not, but I don't swallow those "all greeks are swarthy" stereotypes either. Keep them in the States, please.
    Whoa! Baby! Where did I say "all Greeks are swarthy"??? You must have mistaken me for Inese

But lets see what I found in Greece. I conducted a search. Eligible Greek women, aged 28-55... ^^ ...and from Greece. Checked first 50 and I got:

32x browns/blacks

14x greens/hazels

4x blues

And that's still quite high! 28% greens in Greece.

P.S.

Btw... are you by any chance logged on that dating website, Absinthe???
    Last edited by Jarl; 07-13-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Page 5 of 139 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread Information