Old
    Hero
    José Antonio Primo de Rivera
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 222
    Given: 63

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Treffie View Post
    For the last 20 years or so I've been agnostic, but over the last few months, I've become much more spiritual and very recently, I've found myself `slipping` back into Christianity, but a definite inclination towards Catholicism. I've never practised Catholicism in the past (only Anglicanism and Evangelism), and I'm not sure why I'm veering towards this direction. The only reason why I can think this is happening is because last year was a very difficult one, and realised that there must be much more to life than just the normal run of the mill. In fact, last year was so bad that I found myself praying without thinking about it. Whether or not this process is just some kind of coping mechanism, I'm not sure, but I'm finding life a lot easier now than in the last six months or so. Suddenly, my critical judgement of people who have professed a faith seems to have evaporated.
    I grew up in a Catholic school, and when I became a teenager, I let that fund of tradition go sclerotic inside me; I mean I turned into one of many monotonous, lifeless Catholics that-withouth apostatizing from the faith- are nothing but a bland salt free-diet. A few years ago, like... 4 or 5, I started to lean towards my elders' faith again -with a curious interest: at first, I was intrigued by the fact that the Church was the most popular target by the so-called intellectuals' invectives; then like many of my ancestors, I internalized my faith with my tradition history. Delving into all this was a joy for me and still is. And decided to stay here, knowing perfectly well that the only unforgivable heresy in our times is orthodoxy. My fear was that the religious faith strangled or stifled my freedom; but soon I discovered that once you have entered the Church, you feel it is much more spacious inside than outside. The most remarkable thing is however that I have never felt better and stronger and with a bigger sense of something. Faith is certainly a house with 100 doors and nobody comes in exactly through the same one.

Like some here, I have felt, seen things that you can't explain if you don't have faith and that at the same time such things make it very unlikely that I ever leave this again.

Favored by those with impeccable taste Supreme American's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-27-2012 @ 04:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German & Colonial American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Colorado
    Taxonomy
    Kraut
    Politics
    Plenty
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by orangepulp View Post
    I think your home was possessed by ''jinns'', the same creatures that used to serve prophet Soloman but somehow Christianity lost information about them. In the Islamic world, we very well know of their existance, some people even get possesed by them. We recite specific verses from the Quran and they leave us alone. Some of them are good and some are demonds.
    Yeah, we gotta recite some scriptures to protect us from those dreaded toilet devils.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Colorado
    Taxonomy
    Kraut
    Politics
    Plenty
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fresa Salvaje View Post
    I grew up in a Catholic school, and when I became a teenager, I let that fund of tradition go sclerotic inside me; I mean I turned into one of many monotonous, lifeless Catholics that-withouth apostatizing from the faith- are nothing but a bland salt free-diet. A few years ago, like... 4 or 5, I started to lean towards my elders' faith again -with a curious interest: at first, I was intrigued by the fact that the Church was the most popular target by the so-called intellectuals' invectives; then like many of my ancestors, I internalized my faith with my tradition history. Delving into all this was a joy for me and still is. And decided to stay here, knowing perfectly well that the only unforgivable heresy in our times is orthodoxy. My fear was that the religious faith strangled or stifled my freedom; but soon I discovered that once you have entered the Church, you feel it is much more spacious inside than outside. The most remarkable thing is however that I have never felt better and stronger and with a bigger sense of something. Faith is certainly a house with 100 doors and nobody comes in exactly through the same one.

Like some here, I have felt, seen things that you can't explain if you don't have faith and that at the same time such things make it very unlikely that I ever leave this again.
    The issue I have first and foremost with modern Christianity of nearly every stripe is that they all condemn racial preservation. So many of these Christian churches have conformed to the modern liberal zeitgeist that I feel these institutions are merely an amen chorus for social conformists. They scarcely stand for anything anymore. One thing I do NOT want is political liberalism wrapped as theology.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-25-2012 @ 12:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Politics
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lagergeld View Post
    The issue I have first and foremost with modern Christianity of nearly every stripe is that they all condemn racial preservation. So many of these Christian churches have conformed to the modern liberal zeitgeist that I feel these institutions are merely an amen chorus for social conformists. They scarcely stand for anything anymore. One thing I do NOT want is political liberalism wrapped as theology.
    yeah they often cite scripture to the effect that before god there is only the human race, blah blah blah

but I think I remember reading about a church in Kansas that kicked out a interracial couple, maybe you could go there

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Colorado
    Taxonomy
    Kraut
    Politics
    Plenty
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by European Loyalist View Post
    yeah they often cite scripture to the effect that before god there is only the human race, blah blah blah

but I think I remember reading about a church in Kansas that kicked out a interracial couple, maybe you could go there
    It was Kentucky. The white female involved gathered a lynch mob through the media and as far as I know the church caved.

They selectively cite scriptures to promote a lot of things. They say, "thou shall not kill" while ignoring tons of verses that say not to shed innocent blood. They think ripping single verses out of any meaningful context proves a point.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-08-2012 @ 06:50 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Wog
    Ethnicity
    Georgian
    Country
    Georgia
    Politics
    Liberal Conservatism
    Religion
    Agnostic child of Orthodox Church
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42

0 Not allowed!

I've always wondered how strong is rationality and "consciousness" in modern humans. Are we really that much above our ancestors that would worship surrounding material objects and natural phenomena?

I myself grew up in not a very religious family. My mother was a quasi-believer and Dad was more into Tolstoy's teachings. Despite this I still had a strong exposure to Orthodox Christianity. And even more I grew up reading Bible adaption for children. So since my childhood I had strong sense of morale andmy "sins" have been a cause of stress for me many times in my younger ages. My transition to agnosticism/atheism was rather painful as I was clinging on to whatever shreds of Faith I had left and the whole idea of life without divine purpose, close people destinied to leave us forever and myself being a mere episode of species evolution was revolting and disturbing. Despite this I still was not able to maintain strong stance in my former beliefs as religious texts and rituals are too painfully anthropomorphic to make one believe that they have celestial origins. My scinetific worldview is an aditional factor that does not allow me to revert to any religion.
    I still honour my Orthodox Christian heritage though but on a cultural level.

Last Online
    02-24-2022 @ 10:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    earthling
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    alpinid/med/dinarid
    Politics
    Center-Right
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 185

0 Not allowed!

lol i often get sleep paralysis, in many different cultures it is connected with evil spirits/demons, i don't want to go too much into details, overall it was a really fucked up/intense experience, damn it feels so real, it's kind of a mix of being asleep and being awake, you can't speak or move at all, you're just able to move your eyes, i experienced it roughly 7 times this year, in one night it happened 3 or 4 times in succession, while i was expericing SP i managed to jump out of my bed(but in reality i was still sleeping), after that i saw a person in my room who told me in serbian"sam si kriv kad pusis cigare"the basic translation of that is"it's your own fault if you smoke cigarettes"hhahaha
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
    Last edited by Alano; 03-10-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-07-2014 @ 05:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    HispanoRoman-IberoAquitanian-Suevian
    Country
    Spain
    Politics
    Autocrat and Antiglobalization Traditionalist
    Religion
    Roman-Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 29

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lagergeld View Post
    The issue I have first and foremost with modern Christianity of nearly every stripe is that they all condemn racial preservation.
    There're two main types of (occidental) Christianity, a Nordic one (rooted on Luteranism) and a Mediterranean (Catholicism) one. First one (by relying on predestination) yields to a strict observance of Biblic core rules and is less well attached with external Politic/Social views. Second one, besides a first-look impression of centralized organization and ideology spreading down Pope of Rome, is more versatile in the practice and BTW more compatible with the free-thought you're talking about

Banned
    Last Online
    05-12-2014 @ 11:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Country
    Norway
    Region
    Agder
    Politics
    Feelgood Nationalism
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CircassianWine View Post
    I can never be an atheist due to the fact, I don't feel comfortable that there is no higher power to takecare of us,
    Fair enough, but not everyone feels this way.

and the world is complex so it probably had a creator.
    That's only an assumption. We can't know this for sure, so we have no way of saying it was this or that.

Atheism to me is dead block and has no sane rationality.
    Admitting that you don't know something or don't believe in something is irrational, while believing in something without evidence is rational? I find it perfectly rational to not believe in something if I don't have sufficient reason to do so. Is it irrational to be skeptical of someone who claims that every time your keys go missing, it's because a red-bearded magic goblin steals them? It would be irrational to simply take such a claim "on faith", rather than to question its soundness.

The evidence is all around us to show , that there was indeed a creator.
    No, the universe is evidence of the universe, not of anything we don't know about, can't prove or measure in any way, shape or form. Your line of reasoning is like saying "Gravity exists, which proves that invisible pixies are holding us up by magic". You're jumping to conclusions.

We humans can never understand God, because he is beyond that. The feeling and sense is just there.
    It's the second time you mention feeling. You feel that God exists and so forth. Feelings are great for a lot of things, but being a tool to differ fact from fiction sadly isn't one of them.

Denying God is like denying reality.
    That sentence is wrong in so many ways. First of all, a lack of a belief in a god is not a denial of a god. Denial implies you know something exists yet still deny its existence. I don't deny any god, I simply do not believe in one. Second of all, as I've mentioned, nobody can measure or in any other way prove that a god exists, so how can a lack of a belief in a god equal "denying reality"?

Banned
    Last Online
    05-12-2014 @ 11:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Country
    Norway
    Region
    Agder
    Politics
    Feelgood Nationalism
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    For me, being a radical Atheist rejecting even a Pantheist view of Universe is a bizarre mixture of foolness and arrogance. Specially when it comes to other people's believes bashing. Unfortunatelly that kind of mentality are in-full motion lately, worse, it's considered cool by the fools probably because is asociated with having a high degree of scientifical skills .

On the case under discussion, Id never experienced such experiences with Spirits but I seriously ear about them and take them as a kind of sign to think about things a different way, as, for example, a LSD experience which, BTW, should be taken as a ticket to get outside the brain box, not to stick on it an it's ultimate cinical schemas. So I think Sigur Ros (finaly name come to my mind ) take experience the correct way. Congratulations.
    How is it radical to be skeptical and why does it make you a "radical Atheist" if you choose not to believe in any god claims? I'm trying to picture these "radical Atheists", who are no doubt flying jets into buildings because they don't believe in a god and they simply want to be left alone to not believe as they choose.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information