Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus albus View Post
    Concerning the architecure you are absolutly right.
    But the Slovene language is definitly closer to Croatian or Serbian
    than to Czech.
    A slovenian speaker can hardly understand a full sentence of Czech or Slovakian. There are huge differences regarding the grammatical structure
    and the vocabulary.
    Slovene,just as dialects in North Croatia,does bear strong resemblence to West Slavic languages.And Slovenians spoke 5 dialects which are not all like each other at all.Their official is dialect of Ljubljana.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,420
    Given: 12,533

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    Geographically speaking, only partially while culture is similar enough to ours. My best childhood friend is a Slovene, I get along great with Slovenes and I'm typical Balkan female.
    You making it sound as if you're from mars and have achieved the unthinkable to get along with some slovenian Whats the big deal to get along with anyone? regardless sloven english american or japanese etc.

Its a joke to me if any central or western/northern european braught this up in a convesation reffering to me as "balkan breed=different" i would be tempted to slap them like some annoying clowns if they suggested or projected such lame additudes.

Last Online
    03-02-2022 @ 11:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    thracian
    Ethnicity
    bosniak
    Ancestry
    european
    Country
    Bosnia
    Taxonomy
    european
    Politics
    non
    Religion
    islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,053
    Given: 235

0 Not allowed!

I get along great with americans,does that mean we have similar culture?
    None in the heavens or on earth, except God, knows what is hidden: nor can they perceive when they shall be raised up (for Judgment).

Last Online
    12-22-2013 @ 04:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Slavo-Illyrian Serb
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 272

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loddfafner View Post
    Wikipedia does not support me on this, but I recall reading that the Slovene language is only classified as South Slavic due to its location, but it is actually closer to Czech. The few words I learned from phrasebooks reinforced that impression.

When I stopped in Ljubljana after visiting Croatia and Bosnia, I had a sense of returning to Central Europe from Elsewhere. The feel of crowds and parks and people were closer to Prague or Vienna than to Zagreb, Split, or Dubrovnik, much less Mostar. The abundance of subcultural types, kids with mohawks etc, reinforced that impression.
    Slovenian language is not very foreign to Serbian and I don't think it is closer to Czech.

Quote Originally Posted by Onur View Post
    It`s because the culture of Balkans (whether it`s orthodox or muslim) has been shaped during the Ottoman era.

It`s no coincidence that right in the border of Ottoman Balkans, the orthodoxy ends and catholicism begins, like Dalmatia coasts of Croatia or Slovenia. Despite the fact that both Slovenians and Croatians speaks similar or same language with the people in Ottoman Balkans, they gone in different route, lived under Hapsburg domain, became catholics and developed different culture. I guess even the Yugoslavian era couldn't help for them to unite.

I think it`s sad for any group of people who speaks similar language but goes to different routes in their lives. This is just like losing a relative in a family.

Probably if Slovenia and Dalmatian coasts would be part of Ottoman Balkans, then these differences wouldn't exist today, or the other way, if Balkans would be a part of Hapsburgs, then there would be no such a difference today. I am not sure if orthodoxy would continue to live in Balkans tough because catholics from Hapsburgs would burn everyone on stakes who refuses to convert to be catholic.

Few months ago, Hungarian president said that there was one but an important positive way of Ottoman empire occupation in 2/3rd of Hungary. He said that if there would no Turkish rule in Hungary for about ~200 years, then Hungarians might lose their language and distinct culture and assimilated among Germans.
    I don't think Turkey shaped this.
    Typical life on the Serbian farm, funny musical video: :icon_cheesygrin:
    [youtube]dsKp6maXoBg[/youtube]

Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 09:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Српкиња
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,176
    Given: 973

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Drawing-live View Post
    You making it sound as if you're from mars and have achieved the unthinkable to get along with some slovenian Whats the big deal to get along with anyone? regardless sloven english american or japanese etc.
    LOL! No, I'm from Venus, DL

On a more serious note: Tens of thousands of Slovenes are coming each year to Serbia just because of the trumpet festival in Gucha. It speaks on it's own.

Last Online
    11-29-2013 @ 10:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tauriscian!
    Ethnicity
    Slovénec
    Ancestry
    I hail from the shadow of Karavanke mountain range.
    Country
    Slovenia
    Region
    Bavaria
    Y-DNA
    Definetly perfect proportions!
    mtDNA
    Must be near pefect!
    Taxonomy
    Slovénſki rod
    Politics
    Gibanje z' bolši uew
    Religion
    Štiftar oz. Skakač
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 23

0 Not allowed!

Geographically a certain part is under Balkan. Linguistically we are south Slavs with some west Slavic elements and also other influences from Germans, Italians, Hungars and other. This is not made up by me but linguist and proffesor Janez Dular. Culturally maybe to some minor degree there might be altho i am not sure. So yeah little or no balkan influence in this respect.

Same goes for Croatia. Some parts are balkanic but many like Kajkavians don't apear to be very balkanic.

Quote Originally Posted by derLowe View Post
    http://www.wadsworth.com/history_d/t...s/map15_4.html

Take a look at this map, Slovenia has been a part of Austria for a long time.
    I must ofc. object. I see these days they are making a bit errorous maps so folk get's wrong picture bout it. Carniola with Wendic mark, Carinthia, Gorizia with Gradisca and Styria were not part of Austria. At least not until 1804. These lands were each respectivelly seperate lands with their own land systems.

Yes it's true however that over time Habsburgs who had center in Archiduchy of Austria aquired all these lands and were part of their heridetary crown but this is not to say we were under Austria. There was however concept of Inner Austria but it has nothing to do with being part of Austrian archeduchy but rather loose unity of Carinthia, Styria, Gorizia, Carniola for common defence policy due to Turkish threat. The term did exist due to the fact Archeduke of Austria also inherited those lands. But regardless saying that Carniola for example was part of Austria in 16th century is it's like to say Scotland is England.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlicht View Post
    Undoubetly but so has Croatia.

But many Slovenian nationalists dream of Carantania and
    claim that Southern Styria and Carinthia should be part of
    Slovenia because they were the first settlers going back to the
    7th century of this region. So thats a double edged sword.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carantania
    Well if Poland could get Pommerania and Silesia. Why not! But really i don't want to fight against Austrians however lower Carinthia should belong to Slovenia imo. No offence. It's not even huge area. In our minds this will be always Slovene area even now that minority is almost death;

Last Online
    11-29-2013 @ 10:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tauriscian!
    Ethnicity
    Slovénec
    Ancestry
    I hail from the shadow of Karavanke mountain range.
    Country
    Slovenia
    Region
    Bavaria
    Y-DNA
    Definetly perfect proportions!
    mtDNA
    Must be near pefect!
    Taxonomy
    Slovénſki rod
    Politics
    Gibanje z' bolši uew
    Religion
    Štiftar oz. Skakač
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 23

0 Not allowed!

Btw my post wasn't from anthorpological (is it correct term?) (body visual) prespectie. Altho to be honest i must correct myself. I take my word back about balkan cultural elements. What is balkan culture really?

Last Online
    09-14-2014 @ 08:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by memobekes View Post
    I can categorically state that Slovenia does not belong in the Balkans.

If the Slovenians don't feel comfortable being placed in Central Europe either, then perhaps they should carve up their own region instead.

Phenotypically, if you left a Slovenian kid in an Austrian or Bavarian preschool class, you would not be able to tell who's who.

Culturally the only Balkans country you could say is analogous is Croatia because they are Roman Catholics.

But the Balkans belongs to the Oriental part of Europe, where Orthodoxy meets Islam and where Europe meets Asia.

The Slovenians do not belong to this cultural sphere.
    This!
    I personally think that their culture is closer to Western Europe and Central Europe so would say - no.
    Last edited by Nadezhda89; 01-04-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-03-2015 @ 05:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,564
    Given: 5,232

0 Not allowed!

Geography Slovenia is a Balkan country, culturally more Central European i think

Banned
    Last Online
    08-24-2022 @ 03:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sub-Mediterranid
    Ethnicity
    Afro-Asiatic
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Balkan firmly ends at the Croatian border. Anything north of that is Central Europe. Slovenes are cool but they lack that Southern spirit true Balkanites have. I've also noticed they are a bit more industrious like Germanics. Bulgaria should have been in Yugoslavia in place of it TBH.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread Information