Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 0

3 Not allowed!

Default Death Penalty...for or against?

what do folks here think of the death penalty?
    i am for a return of it. yes, i know that innocent people might die in among the guilty, and did in the past.
    but i look around at the system that stands today and see it blatantly not working. here in scotland one can commit murder, admit it, and be out of jail in less than five years with good behaviour. truth.
    there are obviously no deterrants for many young folks who go off the rails and run riot. i see pensioner-bashing, rape and theft where someone who breaks into an elderly persons home and steals, if accosted, can actually petition the system for trauma and compensation and WIN...i cannot be the only one who sees the injustice in that?

for any against the death penalty, can they say why please, and offer alternatives that may actually work?
    thoughts, anyone...?

Just Myself Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-22-2023 @ 02:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    igneous
    Ancestry
    Lewisian gneiss
    Country
    Denmark
    Taxonomy
    Pebble
    Politics
    it's MY rock
    Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 1

1 Not allowed!

I'm for it, there would be a list of crimes that carried that penalty and it would be well publicised, but I would also bring back many forms of capital punnishment and punishment by social ridicule. So the first thing to go in my world is the human rights act!

Last Online
    08-12-2009 @ 12:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celt
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Luimneach, Chiarraí
    Country
    Ireland
    Taxonomy
    Gael
    Politics
    Nationalist, anti-Capitalist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

3 Not allowed!

Personally I'm against it. The government is there to set an example to the people, criminals are societies problem and I don't think killing them is the answer. Is there any proof it actually acts as a deterrent? Look at the amount of people who commit murders in the USA where the death penalty is legal. If there's no proof it acts as a deterrent then what's the point?
    I think there needs to be way tougher sentences and I think the prison system needs to be completely overhauled. Out with Playstations, TVs, drugs and drama classes. Let them serve out their sentences in silence and isolation in single man concrete cells where there's no place to hide anything. If they want entertainment they can read a book. Drugs are in every prison these days and you often hear Irish prison officers quoted in the papers saying that if half the inmates weren't whacked out of their brains the whole time they'd all be rioting. Instead of tolerating drug use to keep violent thugs pacified their should just be a rule that if you misbehave you don't get let out of your cell. Prison needs to be made an unbearable place to be. I don't mean torture or anything but bad enough for you to never want to go back.
    Glaine ár gcroí - Neart ár ngéag - Beart de réir ár mbriathar

Senior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scotland, Ireland, Sweden.
    Taxonomy
    Baltid
    Politics
    SNP
    Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

maybe it isn`t a deterrent, but isnt there something to be said for the fact that especially for serious crimes, those committing them would not be freed to commit them again?
    it is a recurring and tragic theme in the uk now, that many rapists and murderers are set free to reoffend.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Baltid
    Politics
    SNP
    Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

meant to add, yes, i do agree that prison needs overhauling. i knew a young lad who glassed a man`s throat in a pub brawl and bragged about prison..he went to an `open` prison and was let out to do community gardening...an excuse to pub crawl and shop!

Just Myself Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-22-2023 @ 02:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    igneous
    Ancestry
    Lewisian gneiss
    Country
    Denmark
    Taxonomy
    Pebble
    Politics
    it's MY rock
    Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

whether it is a deterrant or not it certainly stops all possibilities of re offending

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celt
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Luimneach, Chiarraí
    Country
    Ireland
    Taxonomy
    Gael
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oresai View Post
    maybe it isn`t a deterrent, but isnt there something to be said for the fact that especially for serious crimes, those committing them would not be freed to commit them again?
    it is a recurring and tragic theme in the uk now, that many rapists and murderers are set free to reoffend.
    Same over here. As it is a life sentence means nothing of the sort and that needs to be addressed. The same with sex offenders. Without wanting to sound like a bleeding heart we're all products of our society in a way and the situation we have at the present time is caused by a complete moral vacuum, governments past and present have to take their share of the responsibility for that. If some 18/19 year old young lad has had a crap upbringing and has turned into a thug and ends up getting in a fight and knifing someone does he deserve a second chance after serving say 25 years, let him out with really strict conditions, first whiff of trouble and he's back in for the rest of his life, or should he just be done away with?
    Last edited by Oisín; 11-22-2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Baltid
    Politics
    SNP
    Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

objectively, i can agree with your viewpoint...especially as, in minor ways, haven`t most of us been given second chances at one time or another in life?
    but.....there`s the `harsh woman` in me that says, once someone has killed, does that make them more inclined to do so again? even if they originally killed in defense? and so would not that make them more dangerous on the whole?
    simplistic, i know, but still....
    i`ve been on the receiving end of violent crime so KNOW that colours my viewpoint, in making me more inclined to be unforgiving. perhaps that is why i support the death penalty, who knows...
    i do think that for convicted killers, (myra hindley types, etc), death is the best solution...

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celt
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Luimneach, Chiarraí
    Country
    Ireland
    Taxonomy
    Gael
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oresai View Post
    objectively, i can agree with your viewpoint...especially as, in minor ways, haven`t most of us been given second chances at one time or another in life?
    True.
    but.....there`s the `harsh woman` in me that says, once someone has killed, does that make them more inclined to do so again? even if they originally killed in defense? and so would not that make them more dangerous on the whole?
    simplistic, i know, but still....
    I suppose it depends on the person in question. I mean there's psychopaths out there who just kill people for fun and they're going to do it whether there's a death penalty or not. I think anyone convicted of pre-meditated murder should be banged up for life and never again be allowed walk the streets. But sometimes things happen in the heat of the moment and non-violent people do things they wouldn't normally dream about. In cases such as these I think if they admit their guilt, co-operate with the police and show genuine remorse then after a lengthy sentence they should be given another chance.
    i`ve been on the receiving end of violent crime so KNOW that colours my viewpoint, in making me more inclined to be unforgiving. perhaps that is why i support the death penalty, who knows...
    I think everything that happens to us in life colours our viewpoint so that's completely understandable. Our house was burgled last year while we were out and I know that when I came home I was more angry than I've ever been in my life and I think that had I walked in while it was happening then I probably would have had no problem in smashing their faces in with a hammer, that's what I mean about things that happen in the heat of the moment.
    i do think that for convicted killers, (myra hindley types, etc), death is the best solution...
    Genuine psychopaths like Hindley or the Wests are beyond all rehabilitation so I can see the merits of the argument there.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-17-2009 @ 10:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain (Some by way of Ulster) & Germany
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Osteuropid-NorthAlpinid
    Politics
    Ultra-Conservative/anti-Obama
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
    Is there any proof it actually acts as a deterrent? Look at the amount of people who commit murders in the USA where the death penalty is legal. If there's no proof it acts as a deterrent then what's the point?
    The US has not had an effective death penalty for nearly 50-years. It use to be an excellent deterrent. But then there started to be countless court challenges to the dealth penalty for all sorts of frivolous reasons. If someone is given the dealth penalty you can count of endless appeals that will take years to work their ways through the courts. In reality the appeals have nothing to do with guilt or innocence but are simply attacks on the death penalty, the same appeals process would not take place in cases of life-without-parole.

The majority of murder victims in the US are of persons-of-color, usually committed by the same. Many of these cases are simply not solved because there are no witnesses or witnesses will not come forward.

I am in favor of the death penalty for murder, treason & certain cases of rape & child rape.

Page 1 of 56 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread Information