Thread: Dutch directness

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,728
    Given: 61,129

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglojew View Post
    Outside perspective
    And they are spot on. 100 percent on the mark. I don't see many Dutch historians get even close to the bare essence.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Communism Is So Bourgeois
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 07:10 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germano-Celto-Judean
    Ethnicity
    Scythian-Jewish, Anglo-Celtic
    Ancestry
    Ashkenazi + Anglo-Celtic
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Y-DNA
    Q1b Scythian/Khazar (Indigenous Central-Asian)
    mtDNA
    U5b2a3 Mesolithic European (Indigenous European)
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    كافر
    Hero
    Charles Martel, Winston Churchill, Fjordman, Allen West & Robert Spencer
    Religion
    Jewishish
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,012
    Given: 11,416

1 Not allowed!

Schama also did an excellent documentary on Jews. His work is very good.
    Spoiler!

Banned
    Last Online
    01-19-2024 @ 01:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    The largest BBC in the TA but you can't suck it because I made a vow of celibacy. Chastity is sexy!
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    DN8, Carlito's Way, The Lawspeaker, Toppo900, Teutone and KuriousKatKommittee!
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Repentant of my former man-whoreness. But you like it if naughty?! Ooh let me spank you my sinner!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,721
    Given: 6,335

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lawspeaker View Post

Progressive
    is not the right word. I think we're more pragmatic: things need to work and if they don't ? They'll go.
    Agreed.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglojew View Post
    Schama also did an excellent documentary on Jews. His work is very good.
    I can give you one example of a Dutch historian/presenter which features regularly on Dutch TV: Hans Goedkoop. Both Andere Tijden (a history program) and De Gouden Eeuw (about the Dutch Golden Age) are heavily coloured with left-wing and pro-immigrant dogma. Something that didn't really exist in documentaries made before the 1990s.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up

4 Not allowed!

Default Dutch society and working culture

Dutch society and working culture

Are the Dutch really flexible and direct? We take a look at the Dutch attitude to work, family life and time.

How we look upon and judge the lifestyle and workplace of other cultures depends on how we view the world from our own cultural background. The Netherlands is a small country with a limited internal market, consequently the Dutch look across their borders for markets. They started out as worldwide maritime traders in the 16th century and today they are still significant players in the global economy.

"The Netherlands" means "Low Lands"; a large part of the country is situated below sea level. The Netherlands is often referred to as Holland, but Holland is actually only the northwestern part of the country.

Society
    With its 16 million inhabitants--16 728 091 (January 2012)--the Netherlands is the fourth most densely populated country in the world. Everyday life is structured down to the smallest detail. Private life and work are carefully planned and nothing is left to the unexpected. Ad hoc changes are not appreciated.

The Netherlands is a democracy with a tolerant, open society. Although 70 percent of the Dutch do not attend church anymore, Calvinism still strongly influences their values and beliefs. This Protestant Christian religion, introduced in the 16th century, dictates individual responsibility for moral salvage from the sinful world through introspection, total honesty, soberness, rejection of pleasure and the enjoyment of wealth.

Therefore, extremes are absent in society: political extremes, extreme emotions, extreme richness or extravagant lifestyles. Some money may be spent for pleasure, but frequent vacations abroad, comfortable houses and safe cars are preferred above luxury items.

The Dutch are mistakenly called stingy. But in reality they simply hate to waste everything from food to money. Maybe it is this virtue that made this small country an economic world power.

Egalitarian society
    The Netherlands has an egalitarian society. Status and respect are obtained through study and work and not through family ties or old age. Every person is equal and should be treated accordingly, which may be difficult for foreigners to understand.

As a Brazilian general manager living in the Netherlands remarked, "I am happy that my Dutch personnel did not throw me out of my office the first week I worked in Amsterdam. As top manager in Rio, I barely spoke to my lower personnel. I was used to giving orders and being served.

"In Amsterdam I learned to exchange some words daily with the cleaning lady, to discuss all the work with my managers and to kindly ask my secretary what phone calls came in for me. I am now used to making my own photocopies and coffee. Once you know the rules here it is very pleasant and productive to work in such an open society".

A visiting Japanese CEO asked, "If the CEO is pouring his own coffee, what kind of power can he hold in the company?"

Many Americans think the Dutch way of working is time-consuming as no one can be given a quick order without explaining why.
    In order to deliver good work, the Dutch like to consider the risks and consequences of everything they do, well in advance. They want to have detailed information. In the case something does go wrong, the Dutch individual will take full responsibility for the consequences. In the case of success, of course, they will take the full credit.

Who the client is
    The Dutch work hard in their 36- to 40-hour week. Work is streamlined to make the client's life easy but at a steep price because foreigners often have the impression that Dutch people are not very service-minded.

This may seem so because in most countries, the client has a preferential position above the sales person and therefore in that particular situation, a higher status. In the Netherlands, however, goods and services are exchanged on an equal basis. Sales persons feel free to openly disagree and criticise their clients.

Consensus
    The Dutch are famous in the Western world for the many hours a week they spend in meetings. Decision-making processes are complex.
    Everyone involved needs to be heard. In the end a compromise will be reached in which every one agrees. Once agreed upon the work can progress steadily. Therefore, changes are usually lengthy processes.

The global traveler
    The contrary takes place when Dutch businessmen and women travel. They usually have the individual authority to close deals on the spot without consulting the home office.
    Dutch global traders are much more flexible abroad than at their home office.

Directness
    The Dutch directness in the communication with foreigners regularly causes misunderstandings. Unable to make things understood through context and unable to read context, the Dutch express themselves verbally.

They speak in a friendly tone in rather short, clear, sober sentences lacking any form of politeness or courtesy. The Dutch are distrustful of very polite conversations, afraid that an unpleasant message may be hidden which they are unable to detect. Being very nice may awaken the suspicion that one is in need of a special favor. Politeness may also cause irritation as it is considered a waste of time.

Loss of face
    The Dutch expect others to be open and direct like them. They will tell you what they think of you and criticise your work indifferent of your status if you are a superior or a subordinate.
    They expect you to criticise their work in return, honestly and directly. If you detect mistakes in their work and you do not inform them about these mistakes, they will be extremely disappointed with you.

The Dutch do not feel ashamed when you inform them of a mistake. On the contrary, they feel that you give them the opportunity to correct and thus improve themselves. The Dutch feel that in the end, one learns from his mistakes.

Loss of face is a rather unknown concept in Dutch society when compared to other cultures.

Time off
    The Dutch love time off to spend with their partner, kids and friends, for vacation or to study. Therefore they will prefer to reduce working hours instead of having an increase in salary.
    Vacation days, depending on the labour contract, run from 21 to as many as 35 working days a year.

Expatriates on foreign work-contracts in the Netherlands often complain they are always in the office while the Dutch are on vacation.
    Working hours may run from 9am to 5pm. Those who are unable to handle their job within the office hours may not be fit for the job.
    As work is very well structured within organisations, much work is done during regular working hours. Except for those at management level, employees are reluctant to work overtime.

Concept of time
    Being very organised and time conscious, one has to plan business appointments at least four weeks ahead, with bosses, clients and colleagues.
    As for your private agenda you may be expected to plan an evening at the cinema with your best friend six weeks from today.
    Of course there is no such thing as just "dropping by to say hello".

The family
    Despite having a very open and individualistic society, when it comes to the family nucleus, it is a hermetically closed circle. The family nucleus is detached from the extended family.
    Adult brothers and sisters usually see each other only on birthday celebrations, weddings and funerals. There is no moral obligation to take care of extended family members or elderly parents.

Contradictions
    With all this planning and structuring, little is left to the unexpected. Therefore Dutch people do not excel in improvising. However, they have an adventurous mind and dare to take risks in business, which requests flexibility.

Despite the strong Calvinist background and a disapproval of extremes, homosexual marriages, sex on TV and legalised soft drugs are part of daily life.
    The Dutch may have great work relationships with their colleagues, but they rarely invite them to their homes. Work and private life are strictly separated.

Also, Dutch businessmen do not feel obligated to entertain foreign business visitors after business hours.
    Being an egalitarian society, personal and academic titles are not used on business cards. Only corporate Holland will print the academic titles of their managers on their business cards.
    People retire between 50 and 65 years old. The elderly are not respected in the corporate world.

Elderly people may never be consulted for their wisdom but they are well taken care of in comfortable old-age houses once they are unable to live on their own. If you are wealthy or not, everyone gets equal treatment.

The Dutch are open and will enjoy lengthy discussions over a beer in a bar with mostly anybody. This relationship ends when you say goodbye at the door.

However, once you do have a Dutchman (or woman) as a friend, you have a friend for life.

Last Online
    08-20-2015 @ 07:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Qwerty
    Country
    Bhutan
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 771
    Given: 1,758

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lawspeaker View Post
    [B][SIZE=4][U
    Egalitarian society
    The Netherlands has an egalitarian society. Status and respect are obtained through study and work and not through family ties or old age. Every person is equal and should be treated accordingly, which may be difficult for foreigners to understand.
    I found this when I was in Netherlands, I was impressed that a bus driver or a cab driver or a ticket seller dresses, talks, acts, looks the same as a wealthy businessman. I guess of course there are some differences in how they live, but it is not "2 countries" like in South America or even in the UK (which in some ways has a "third world" social structure which you don't find in the rest of Europe).

Also I think while in Germany they are more "meritocratic", they are not so humble like the Dutch, who are more relaxed and open.

I think like you say, big powerful countries, look inwards, but small countries have to look outwards.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information