European-style American
    Ethnicity
    California dreaming
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Smile Hunky Broth

This is an old recipe from my grandma. It's a cheap meal that is able to stretch a half pound of hamburger into feeding a family of six (my mother's family size! ) if necessary. This was always a favorite when my brother and I would visit Grandma and Grandpa. My oldest uncle gave it it's funny name.

Hunky Broth

For every half pound of hamburger:
    1 or 2 eggs
    1/4-1/2 cup oatmeal, add less at first
    salt
    pepper
    Italian seasonings

This is your meatball mix. Put everything in a bowl, and mix well with your hands. Make them into meatballs, as large or small as you wish. These are then the "hunks".

Then, you get your broth going. You'll use tomato juice, if you do it like my Grandma, or you can use tomato sauce, or pizza sauce, and then thin it with chicken or beef broth, which is what I suggest. My Grandma would use a 4 quart saucepan, and fill it up just over halfway, but you can use more or less according to your taste. Bring to a boil, and add your meatballs. Season it some if you like. Then, you add as much small pasta as you want. But, make certain that it stays "souplike" and not "stewlike". It's supposed to be a little on the thinner side. I very strongly suggest either alphabet pasta, or orzo, but it's best with acini de pepe. Rice is also a good subsitute. Simmer gently for at least an hour, to make sure the meatballs cook through.

Serve with nice crusty bread.
    Last edited by Frigga; 05-20-2009 at 10:49 PM.

Thread Information