Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Women in the workforce: feminist victory or economic necessity?

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,722
    Given: 17,037

0 Not allowed!

Default Women in the workforce: feminist victory or economic necessity?

To what degree are the concessions afforded women today in the workplace the result of?

Hard-fought victories by the feminist movement over the past 40 years or due to economic necessity, such as a rising cost of living and that the average household in the western world is not longer able to function on a single salary?

We know that the feminist movement made large steps in making jobs more available to women, as well as better salaries. Some countries are still fighting on equal salaries. So are jobs available to women because of feminism?

OR

Life becomes more expensive. In years gone by people could raise families on one salary. But now both husband and wife hold jobs. So is it just because of an economic nessecity?
    Last edited by Kazimiera; 04-09-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling; additional info

Banned
    Last Online
    04-22-2012 @ 12:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Norman, Corsican
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Fascist
    Religion
    State-sponsored Totalitarianism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Cut down on thousands of dollars of designer dresses, make-up and yoga classes. Also, don't look to purchase that fabulous 2,000 square ft. apartment you clearly can't afford as an administrative assistant. The cost of living will significantly decrease when you save your money for necessities instead of spending it on your ego.

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Intelligent answers that actually focus on the question please.

Last Online
    09-01-2020 @ 08:04 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Romania
    Taxonomy
    Sexy chick
    Politics
    Race ladder
    Hero
    Quagmire
    Religion
    Rumanian Orthodox
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,487
    Given: 1,282

0 Not allowed!

Spoiler!

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

bump

Last Online
    04-12-2012 @ 11:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nordic/Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    Norway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

I think feminism is very wrong to women actually and to our society. The sacred role of women to take care of the home and family isn't meant to be seen as inferior like feminism means it is. But the system has definitely a role to play in the fact women have to work more, and be more away from home. By creating a financial need too big to be only carried by men alone. Of course your lifestyle says a lot as well, we can save money on many things if as a woman you wish to be a housewife. This modern world teaches women to care more for fashion, make up, all those superficial things that have no importance in life. Instead of caring for family and a good husband, they'd rather think they are free because they make their own money and are allowed by society to be with one different man every week end.
    I have much more respect for those few women who still wish to be housewives, care of their home and family and who remain natural.

Todo aquél que ama es un guerrero. Feral's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-13-2023 @ 01:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feral warrior caste.
    Ethnicity
    Latinoamericano Argentino.
    Ancestry
    HAR1F
    Country
    Argentina
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med + Amerindio + CM?.
    Politics
    Corpus Callosum.
    Religion
    Non-dogmatic virtue ethicist.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,105
    Given: 2,036

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Runahild View Post
    I think feminism is very wrong to women actually and to our society. The sacred role of women to take care of the home and family isn't meant to be seen as inferior like feminism means it is. But the system has definitely a role to play in the fact women have to work more, and be more away from home. By creating a financial need too big to be only carried by men alone. Of course your lifestyle says a lot as well, we can save money on many things if as a woman you wish to be a housewife. This modern world teaches women to care more for fashion, make up, all those superficial things that have no importance in life. Instead of caring for family and a good husband, they'd rather think they are free because they make their own money and are allowed by society to be with one different man every week end.
    I have much more respect for those few women who still wish to be housewives, care of their home and family and who remain natural.
    This a good POV about being traditional. I despice the globalized stereotype of a working-class woman trying to fit in a moderm social model (if it's frivolous) as well as you do. No human that worship money is free.
    However, isn't that simple. First at all, most women in the history of human kind were seen as inferior to men and they were obligated to follow a role because of it. And any living being that is chained to do things that doesn't want to do, won't feel free and won't be free. Noone can define freedom, and everyone is free to be. The problem, of course, if when freedom is defined and set into a canonical rule which "should be" follow.
    ___

And to answer the topic. Yes to both question. I don't think that just feminist had fight for women and their rights of freedom. But women do
    now are more free than before. And, on the other hand, it has become a economical necessity for lower and some middle-class couples to hold jobs both of them. It's possibly that this economical problem had affected the political decision, but I don't think it had too much influence.
    Last edited by Feral; 04-12-2012 at 03:51 AM.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Send me $ and I'll place an ad of your choice here 2Cool's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-23-2013 @ 09:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romanticized Celtic-Germanic-Aryan master race
    Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Runahild View Post
    Good luck sustaining a economy when half of your citizens are home. You are also forcing people into gender roles which is wrong as gender roles change all the time and change depending on the culture. There are matriarchal societies you know.

But what if a woman wants to become a Doctor? Oh she can't now? But why? Oh I see, her role is to stay home to take care of kids while the father works and provides for the family. And what if a man wants to be a stay at home dad? Oops too bad you can't. Besides, if women are always home why do they need to vote? It's not like they'll be affected by it government since they are always home. I guess we could remove their right to vote as well then? Going to school would also be useless. You don't need to know calculus to know how to cook a meal and breast feed.

This is pretty closes minded way of seeing the world. I honestly think such thinking stems from insecurity. Insecurity that a woman can be more successful than you and can make more money than you etc. Personality I would rather a more confident woman that knows what she wants and is independent. I don't want to spineless woman with no back bone who's only worth is to do house chores. That wouldn't set a good example for my kids.

btw I'm not a feminist. In fact I hate most of them since I feel they are not concerned with gender equality and are more only concerned with pushing female rights. A lot of the serious ones also don't shave their arm pits and smell weird.
    Fernando Pessoa
    "O mar com fim será grego ou romano: O mar sem fim é português."

Favored by those with impeccable taste Supreme American's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-27-2012 @ 04:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German & Colonial American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Colorado
    Taxonomy
    Kraut
    Politics
    Plenty
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

Economic necessity. No woman with kids wants to work, give me a break.

Tough on Violent Crime
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    Mongrelized NW Euromutt
    Ancestry
    Northwestern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alaska
    Taxonomy
    CM
    Politics
    Suck
    Religion
    You follow yours...I follow none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,676
    Given: 12,354

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lagergeld View Post
    Economic necessity. No woman with kids wants to work, give me a break.
    Some do.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information