Politics
    All Politicians Are Bastards
    Religion
    MGTOW
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,185
    Given: 8,122

2 Not allowed!

The tram system of Riga (Rīgas Tramvajs) has had a troubled decade, to say the least. Various scandals and poor management saw the system facing quite some setbacks, but it seems as if better days have arrived. All kinds of work are happening to make this system fit for the future.

This video is the 18th episode of the series Urban Transport, with full-on descriptions of various urban public transport networks (for now in Europe).

If you would like to see the video about the tram system of Latvia's 2nd largest city (Daugavpils), click the link below:

• Trams work in small cities too! | Dau...

About me:
    My name is Rick and I am a licensed drone pilot and transport enthusiast, based in the lovely country of Lithuania.
    I started the channel dronthego in order to share my passion for towns, cities, and transportation.

Please consider subscribing to my channel

You can follow me on:
    Instagram: @realdronthego
    Facebook: dronthego

Thanks to Maptiler, Geolayers 3D for their amazing software, and Envato Elements for their loads of music, stock footage, and useful tools.

#riga #rigatram #latvia #latvija #tram #tatrat3 #skoda #skoda15t #baltic #publictransport #4k

00:00 Intro
    00:40 Route & Technical Details
    01:52 History
    04:38 Fleet
    06:13 Future
    08:17 Outro

The tram of Daugavpils is rather unique in Europe. It is located in a rather small city (80K inhabitants), but is also operated by tram types you won't typically see in other cities in the EU, such as the KTM-5. Despite that Latvia's second city is slowly losing its population, the system got quite an overhaul recently, and with smart changes it aims to increase ridership. Also some re-routings and extensions are performed.

This video is the 10th episode of the series Transport, which describes various public transport networks (for now in Europe).

About me:
    My name is Rick and I am a licensed drone pilot and transport enthusiast, based in the lovely country of Lithuania.
    I started the channel dronthego in order to share my passion for towns, cities, and transportation.

Please consider subscribing to my channel

You can follow me on:
    Instagram: @realdronthego
    Facebook: dronthego

Thanks to Maptiler, Geolayers 3D for their amazing software, and Envato Elements for their loads of music, stock footage, and useful tools.

*Sidenote: I noticed that there maybe a completely new section to Cietoksnis from the railway station, rather than the mentioned switch. I saw it in a forum, but could not get it confirmed.

#Daugavpils #Latvia #tram #streetcar #KTM #tatra #4k

00:00 Intro
    00:48 History
    02:05 Network
    04:14 Fleet
    06:35 Ridership
    07:32 Future
    08:41 Outro

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Veteran Member Your Old Comrade's Avatar
    Last Online
    02-06-2024 @ 05:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Netherlands, Northern France, Wallonia
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Utrecht
    Taxonomy
    Borreby
    Politics
    Religion
    MGTOW
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

The tram system of Liepāja (Liepājas Tramvajs) is a surprisingly good and modern system, putting many larger cities to shame. It makes use of modern, low-floor TMK 2300 trams, built by the Croatian manufacturer Končar. Various modernization works are still happening. Also, trams run in a neat 7-minute headway and have "Grassy" tracks. All-in-all a fantastic little system for a town of only 68K inhabitants.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Utrecht
    Taxonomy
    Borreby
    Politics
    Religion
    MGTOW
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

In the countryside.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Utrecht
    Taxonomy
    Borreby
    Politics
    Religion
    MGTOW
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

During the time of the USSR, Riga became a hub of industry and transport for the Baltic repubhlics. No state in the Baltic region had a Metro, but this would change as Riga's population grew. This video explores the rise and fall of the only Baltic metro system ever built in the USSR era.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Utrecht
    Taxonomy
    Borreby
    Politics
    Religion
    MGTOW
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Beautiful Riga welcomes you in 4K Ultra HD! join our city walking tour of the city and see the stunning cityscapes of the Latvian capital captured by the Panasonic GH6 camera. Riga was the first stop on our filmmaker Agnius Narkevičius` trip to France to shoot virtual city tours. He traveled from Vilnius to Riga by bus and could not find his documents on the way. A stalemate for someone who has to go to another country, isn't it? Panic, understanding that he needed to return to Vilnius, applied to the embassies, and urgently restore the passport filled all 4 hours of the trip to Riga. But in the end, already in the capital, the documents were found in a secret pocket of his backpack. Everything ended well, and our filmmaker went to explore the delightful Baltic city. Join him on his walk and discover old and serene Riga!

Video from: #Riga, Latvia
    Video title: Exploring the Capital On Latvia Beauty of Riga
    Time of filming: Spring 2022
    Equipment used: Panasonic GH6
    Video type: City #Walking #Tour
    Video resolution: 4K UHD
    Producer: Roman Khomlyak, Pro Art Inc
    Cinematographer: Agnius Narkevičius
    Editor and colorist: Volodymyr Kosar
    Supervising editor: Oleksandr Diakov

What can we say about the capital of Latvia? Riga is one of the oldest and most comfortable cities on the Baltic coast. Narrow streets lined with paving stones. A huge number of flowers. Facades of buildings in the Art Nouveau style and of course the architecture of the Old Town that is included in the UNESCO heritage list. The flair of modernity could well overshadow the breath of antiquity. Walking along these streets you seem to be transported in time!

This amazing 4K city walking tour is made for that. to give you the opportunity to travel without leaving your home. The real sounds of the city, high-quality images, and the leisurely pace of the walk allow you to see Riga in all its splendor. This video will easily distract you from disturbing thoughts and leave only positive impressions of a virtual trip!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Utrecht
    Taxonomy
    Borreby
    Politics
    Religion
    MGTOW
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

The ferry over the Gauja river is the only crossing of this type in the Baltic States. The ferry is made of 2 boats fastened together, on which there is a plank layer. A steel cable stretched across the river does not allow the ferry to tide downstream, and it moves from one bank to the other by the force of stream. Once there were 3 bridges over the Gauja. After the Second World War, when bridges were destroyed, Ligatne Paper Mill created Ligatne ferry crossing to let workers of the Paper Mill to come to work from Pargauja.

We unexpectedly found missing footage of two more scenes from the building process - moss collection in the local swamp and finishing of the frame. So we decided to make another version - extended edition (2 mins longer) to add those scenes to the movie and share them with you all.

This is a documentary movie uncovering the process of building a wooden house with mostly hand tools from (as much as possible) local natural materials starting from forest till the living space.

"I built my house from trees that I felled in winter time (-20C) with an axe and two man crosscut saw in my own forest. I did it following the research of old carpenter's calendar that coniferous trees should be felled in January's first days when the new moon rises and the deciduous trees should be felled in the winter time during the old moon. In winter time trees are sleeping and the juice and moisture content is very low in them. As time passes timber felled in winter becomes light and strong.

In the building process I used mostly traditional carpenters hand tools - axes, hand saws, timber framing chisels and slicks, old Stanley planes, augers, draw knives and mostly human energy. All the ground work for fundaments and the basement earth digging was done by hand with shovels. The foundation consists mostly of bigger and smaller rocks and boulders. Lime, sand and concrete mixture are using only in small amounts - to hold the boulders together. The visible part over the ground level - boulder mosaic has been masoned with hand split local granite.

The House has been built based on the western part of Latvia - Kurland/Kurzeme (German influence) historical wooden architecture typical technique - Timber Frame construction with sliding log walls between the posts. House is two carpentry technique union - Timber Frame (that is typical in France, Germany, Great Britain, North America and other countries) and traditional Latvian log building technique, between the logs using moss from the local swamp.
    In the walls, timber frame and roof construction there I used only wood joints and wooden pegs to hold the main construction together - no nails, screws or steel plates. Walls are insulated with 250mm thick dry pine and larch shaving layer (leftover from the local cabinet makers workshop). Overall exterior wall thickness is 50cm. In the walls (except wind vapour breathable membrane over the roof) has not been used any plastic or modern synthetic materials.

To preserve the wood from the spoiling, fame posts, sills, top beams and final cladding boards are treated with fire and pine tar mixed with Tung oil. This wood preservation technique was adapted from the Japanese traditional wood preservation technique Shou Sugi Ban (焼杉板).
    Exterior cladding boards recoating each 10-15 years with Tung oil and pine or birch tar mixture, the house can last more than 500 years. As an example is taken Norwegian stave churches that stands more than 500 years until nowadays.

Roofing is three layer white oak shingles (each 10mm thick, 120mm wide and 720mm long) laid in two directional technique. Overall amount of shingles used is 15 000 pieces. Roof walls are insulated with ecological wood fibre wool and wood fibre panels. Over the wood fibre panels are plastered natural plaster - mixture of sand, clay powder, lime, linen fibre, salt, wheat flour. Overall thickness of the plaster is 20mm and over all amount of plaster used on the walls are 5000 kilos. It works also as thermal mass and improves energy performance.

Exterior measurements of the house is 6.5 x 13 meters. Living space in both floors are 120sq/m. The house is being heated with clay plastered brick bread oven and smaller oven made of clay tiles in the kitchen. To heat up both floors of the house, when outside it is minus 10 degrees (Celsium) only small oven is heated once a day. When freeze gets below -15, -20 C, we heat up the bread oven. Once it is heated, because of it’s thermal mass of 5 tons, it keeps the warmth 2-3 days. To heat up all the house (120 sq/m) in the winter time we use not more than 4 m3 (1.1 cord) of dry firewood. This is 2nd winter we are living there and we still heat up the house with the leftovers of lumber from the building process. And it will be enough for 3 more years.

I have fulfilled my vision to a build natural, ecological house with high thermal efficiency, low energy consumption, sustainable, using local materials such as - wood, stone, old and new clay bricks, moss, linen fibre, clay, water, lime, wheat flour, salt and wood shavings."

Jacob, carpenter, craftsman and founder of Northmen ( ex John Neeman Tools).

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Utrecht
    Taxonomy
    Borreby
    Politics
    Religion
    MGTOW
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Utrecht
    Taxonomy
    Borreby
    Politics
    Religion
    MGTOW
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Along the Gauja River.

Ķūķu klintis ir devona iežu atsegums Gaujas labajā krastā, pie Raiskuma un Amatas pagasta robežas. Klintis ir aizsargājams ģeoloģisks dabas piemineklis. Iezis savu nosaukumu ieguvis no tuvējām Ķūķu mājām. Šis ir Latvijā augstākais devona iežu atsegums.
    Pie klintīm atrodas tā dēvētās Ķūķu krāces kur laivotājiem jābūt īpaši uzmanīgiem, šeit jūs varat redzēt ieskatu no augšas, kā tas izskatās un redzēt, ka realitāte ir daudz vienkāršāka nekā izklausās. Šādu vizuālu informāciju arī es pats mekleju pirms devāmies laivot uz Gauju, jo gribeju saprast vai ir prāta darbs tur braukt cauri laivotājiem bez nekādas laivošanas pieredzes.

Ķūķu cliffs are a Devonian rock outcrop on the right bank of the Gauja river, on the border of Raiskums and Amata parishes. The cliffs are a protected geological natural monument. It got his name from the nearby Ķūķi houses. This is the highest Devonian rock outcrop in Latvia.
    Next to the cliffs is the so-called Ķūķu rapids, where boaters need to be especially careful. Here you can see the view from above, what it looks like and see that the reality is much simpler than it sounds. I was looking myself for such visual information before we went boating to the Gauja river, because I wanted to understand is it a reasonable to go through those rapids without any boating experience.

Gauja National Park, the largest and oldest national park in Latvia. It was established in 1973, in order to preserve the unique ancient valley of the river Gauja, with its tributaries, Devonian sandstone outcrops, rich flora and fauna, as well as important cultural and historical monuments. The winding River Gauja flows almost 94 kilometres through the national park (its total length is 460 km).

Client: Nature Conservation Agency of Latvia (Dabas aizsardzības pārvalde)

www.eaglewood.pictures
    www.daba.gov.lv
    © Eaglewood Pictures. All rights reserved.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Utrecht
    Taxonomy
    Borreby
    Politics
    Religion
    MGTOW
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Utrecht
    Taxonomy
    Borreby
    Politics
    Religion
    MGTOW
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Jacob's story about his wooden house in local TV broadcast "Kingdom" (Karaliste) by VFS Films.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread Information