Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Türk
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 62

0 Not allowed!

A quote from "Fourt Studies on the History of Central Asia"

It was process of huge settlements that made Asia Minor and Azerbaijan Oghuz. And this was not only during Seljuq period, but more intensified afterwards.

Last Online
    04-16-2013 @ 05:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Martian
    Ethnicity
    Ancient Polynesian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Onur View Post

I still hold my own opinion about that and i can say the same things for Azerbaijani Turks. A small minority cannot assimilate a majority without the mass education system we have today. This is impossible without massacring the locals or expel them out to reduce their numbers and we know that neither of those happened in Azerbaijan.
    I have to disagree. Assimilation of large indigenous populations by a relatively small minority of newcomers did happen several times during the history. The most notable cases are the romanization of Gauls, Iberians and other peoples in the Roman empire and the arabization of Aramaic, Coptic and (most) Berber speaking populations by Arabs. In each case without any mass education system.

For example in Egypt, there was an Arab immigration and there are still numerous place names indicating Arab tribal settlements throughout the country (and many people claiming an Arab tribal origin), but various anthropological and genetic studies indicate that the Egyptians largely descend from the pre-Islamic population.

Oral tradition and even written sources are not always 100% trustworthy when we are trying to understand the demographic history of a certain place. For example, in certain regions of southern Egypt most Muslims claim a "pure" Arab tribal origin, but their features are quite non-Arab and they actually don't differ anyhow from their Christian neighbors. That indicates that many local converts to Islam simply adopted the Arab identity, rather than a large-scale demographic shift.

Last Online
    10-29-2014 @ 07:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Türk
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Both Romans and Arabs had policies of assimilation and strong cultural roots coupled with religion which affected their subjects, you can not compare it to Oghuz Turks. Romans and Arabs were capable of cultural-assimilation, Oghuz weren't, or any other nomadic Turkic group for that matter. I already mentioned that Seljuq rulers themselves were victims of foreign assimilation, and had already forgotten their own Oghuz roots. You know yourself what was the state language of Seljuqs and all that. If we actually go by that logic, Persian areas of Iran should be Oghuz speaking now as that was where the actual central rule was, just see the post above you.

Besides, such examples are not always right. We do also know that mass-migrations of ethnic groups took place, and there were demographic changes in many regions. Oghuz tribes simple mass-migrated from Central Asia, and we do have records about such large settlements in both Anatolia and Azerbaijan.
    Last edited by Yalquzaq; 08-21-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-06-2018 @ 07:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hunnic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Petrich, Ottoman Macedonia
    Country
    Turkey
    Politics
    Anti-globalist nationalism, Anti-fascist patriotism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayazid View Post
    I have to disagree. Assimilation of large indigenous populations by a relatively small minority of newcomers did happen several times during the history.
    I think you didn't read my post properly.

Romanization in early medieval era realized with mass massacres and forcibly converting people to christianity. They also destroyed anything related with their former culture and pagan beliefs. They wanted to accelerate their assimilation by demonizing everything related with their former culture, like runic writings, druidism, herbalism, animism. All of these things has been branded as Satanism and being antichrist. They burned people alive if they catch anyone dealing with these things.

The Arabization of middle-east happened due to the new religious belief, the islam. People thought like it would be better for them to speak the language of Koran. This is also promoted by the pro-Arab Umayyad caliphate. They wanted to erase diversity in middle-east by promoting Arabism and Arabic language and people kindly accepted it by thinking like they would be better muslims with that.

BUT, the difference in Anatolia and Azerbaijan is;
    • There was never a large scale massacre upon locals, neither in Anatolia nor in Azerbaijan.

• Neither Seljuk Turkish nor Ottomans had any turkification propaganda nor they promoted Turkish language in their territories. This was same for Azerbaijan too.

• Turks didn't forcibly change people`s religion either. Instead, we allowed them to continue with their own churches, synagogs.

Both Azerbaijan and Anatolia was one the most important places in the world back then. If we would do any of these actions above [massacres, forced religion change, linguistic assimilation], some people would surely record it but we have none. Romans and Arabs really did these because we have numerous historical sources today which mentions about how Saxons, Celts, Germans, Gauls has been converted to christianity by force, how they have been mass massacred and how they have been persecuted afterwards. We also know how the various people of middle-east has been Arabized.

Find me a single piece of historical document which mentions about mass assimilation of locals in Anatolia or Azerbaijan. You cant because there is any. But i can show you numerous documents about Iranization of Azerbaijani Turks or Byzantine documents about the baptized Seljuk Turks, namely Tourkosporos, Turkopols.
    Last edited by Onur; 08-21-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Last Online
    10-29-2014 @ 07:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Türk
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

You explained much better than me. Indeed it is very wrong to compare Romans & Arabs to Oghuz.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-13-2020 @ 12:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    England
    Taxonomy
    Armenid-Mtebid mix with some Med
    Politics
    Right-wing
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 222
    Given: 453

1 Not allowed!

Turkish nazis are like black white supremacists. Idiots.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information