Ancestry
    Netherlands
    Country
    Netherlands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Sex between early humans and Neanderthals improved our immune system

A study published this online this week in Science suggests that ancient matings that occurred between early humans and Neanderthals and Denisovans greatly boosted the our species’ immune system. Specifically, Europeans and Asians were the groups to benefit most from this ancient swapping of DNA, which has left current humans with a valuable set of genes.

According to the study, as a result of our ancestors mating with our evolutionary cousins the Neanderthals and the Denisovans (an only recently discovered hominin) we gained unique genes that help protect us against viruses to this day.

Earlier studies had suggested that only 1-4% of the modern human genome had been acquired through such matings with other hominins. However, the new research has further identified genes in our genome that we acquired from our cousins.

Within our species’ immune system, the human leukocyte antigen (HLA) group of genes are incredibly important for fighting off invading pathogens like viruses. The study says that some of the HLA class 1 genes belonged to Neanderthals and Denisovans originally. These two hominins evolved these genes and we received them as a result of interbreeding events.

These genes have been discovered to be more prevalent in Europeans and West Asians, as both Neanderthals and Denisovans inhabited these regions. Whereas, in Africans the HLA genes are much rarer.

The researchers suggest that these differences could be attributed to humans first leaving Africa around 65 000 years ago. Only after leaving did they meet up with their human cousins and then receive the genes, and those who remained in Africa missed out. Though Africans would receive some of the genes from other humans who returned to Africa more recently.

“The HLA genes that the Neanderthals and Denisovans had, had been adapted to life in Europe and Asia for several hundred thousand years, whereas the recent migrants from Africa wouldn’t have had these genes,” said study leader Peter Parham from Stanford University School of Medicine in California.

“So getting these genes by mating would have given an advantage to populations that acquired them.”

So who knows what other portions of our DNA we owe to Neanderthals and Denisovans. Perhaps we wouldn’t be here today if it hadn’t have been for our early ancestors getting jiggy with their cousins.
    Source http://thecaudallure.com/2011/08/27/...immune-system/

Sexual relations between ancient humans and their evolutionary cousins are critical for our modern immune systems, researchers report in Science journal.

Mating with Neanderthals and another ancient group called Denisovans introduced genes that help us cope with viruses to this day, they conclude.

Previous research had indicated that prehistoric interbreeding led to up to 4% of the modern human genome.

The new work identifies stretches of DNA derived from our distant relatives.

In the human immune system, the HLA (human leucocyte antigen) family of genes plays an important role in defending against foreign invaders such as viruses.

The authors say that the origins of some HLA class 1 genes are proof that our ancient relatives interbred with Neanderthals and Denisovans for a period.
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

Getting these genes by mating would have given an advantage to populations that acquired them”

Peter Parham

At least one variety of HLA gene occurs frequently in present day populations from West Asia, but is rare in Africans.

The researchers say that is because after ancient humans left Africa some 65,000 years ago, they started breeding with their more primitive relations in Europe, while those who stayed in Africa did not.

"The HLA genes that the Neanderthals and Denisovans had, had been adapted to life in Europe and Asia for several hundred thousand years, whereas the recent migrants from Africa wouldn't have had these genes," said study leader Peter Parham from Stanford University School of Medicine in California.

"So getting these genes by mating would have given an advantage to populations that acquired them."

When the team looked at a variant of HLA called HLA-B*73 found in modern humans, they found evidence that it came from cross-breeding with Denisovans.

canty remains

While Neanderthal remains have been found in many sites across Europe and Asia, Denisovans are known from only a finger and a tooth unearthed at a single site in Russia, though genetic evidence suggests they ranged further afield.

"Our analysis is all done from one individual, and what's remarkable is how informative that has been and how our data looking at these selected genes is very consistent and complementary with the whole genome-wide analysis that was previously published," said Professor Parham.

A similar scenario was found with HLA gene types in the Neanderthal genome.

"We are finding frequencies in Asia and Europe that are far greater than the whole genome estimates of archaic DNA in modern humans, which is 1-6%," said Professor Parham.

The scientists estimate that Europeans owe more than half their variants of one class of HLA gene to interbreeding with Neanderthals and Denisovans.

Asians owe up to 80%, and Papua New Guineans up to 95%.
    Uneven exchange

Other scientists, while agreeing that humans and other ancients interbred, are less certain about the evidence of impacts on our immune system.

"I'm cautious about the conclusions because the HLA system is so variable in living people," commented John Hawks, assistant professor of anthropology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, US.

"It is difficult to align ancient genes in this part of the genome.

"Also, we don't know what the value of these genes really was, although we can hypothesise that they are related to the disease environment in some way."

While the genes we received might be helping us stay a step ahead of viruses to this day, the Neanderthals did not do so well out of their encounters with modern human ancestors, disappearing completely some 30,000 years ago.

Peter Parham suggested a parallel could be drawn between the events of this period and the European conquest of the Americas.

"Initially you have small bands of Europeans exploring, having a difficult time and making friends with the natives; but as they establish themselves, they become less friendly and more likely to take over their resources and eliminate them.

"Modern experiences reflect the past, and vice versa."
    Source http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14673047

Favored by those with impeccable taste Supreme American's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-27-2012 @ 04:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German & Colonial American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Colorado
    Taxonomy
    Kraut
    Politics
    Plenty
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    A white dude kissing an ape? Antebellum Southern American history?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ethnicity
    Diets
    Ancestry
    Netherlands
    Country
    Netherlands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lagergeld View Post
    A white dude kissing an ape? Antebellum Southern American history?
    Yes, i know it´s disgusting, but it was hard to resisting my provocative Manner, so people have to use their Brains to get an image of how it could be.

I found the picture very literally for this kind of Topic.

~ WHITE LIVES MATTER ~ SilverKnight's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-14-2024 @ 12:39 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Iberian & Sene-Gambian
    Ethnicity
    Dominican American
    Ancestry
    Northern Spain, Canarian, Andaluz, W. África & Taino (Amerind)
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Region
    Florida
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med + Congolid
    Politics
    Right-wing, ultra nationalism and anti-commie scum.
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, Dad, R. Trujillo, Andrew Tate, Vladimir Putin & Donald J. Trump, Loki & ♥Lily
    Religion
    Baptist - Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,682
    Given: 9,065

0 Not allowed!

according to 23andme, I'm 1.8% Neanderthal, so no wonder why my immune system is mint
    Silverknight
    "..And the angle of the sun changed it all .."

lI

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by amerinese View Post
    Yeah, exactly right. Blank Slate is exactly 50/50 so she is getting some additive effect of similarity from both of her parents, where separate similar genes from both groups are combining in her genome to create a slightly higher similarity, rather than the average of both that one would expect. Probably the same type of effect that makes me 3.2% Neanderthal.
    I checked the Ancestry Composition and it seems that half of your HLA comes from your Japanese side - that explains why you and I score so low for histocompatibility (74.78%) while the other guy (mixed West Euro) with a similarly high Neanderthal % as yours & mine matches me better than any one of my close relatives even - 96.69%.

~50 percent of the HLA Class I alleles in Europeans derive from Neandertals, ~70-80 percent of HLA Class I alleles in East Asians derive from Denisovans, and that and ~90-95 percent of HLA Class I alleles in Papuans derive from Denisovans.
    (...)
    The fast that East Asians have much more detectable Neandertal ancestry (~2.5%) than Denisovan (~0.0%), but the Denisovan HLA Class I allele is much more prominent in these populations, indicates that
    Neandertal and Deninsovan variants were adaptive for different pathogens endemic to their regions of Eurasia!
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn.../#.UR4nSKU4v8l

Thread Information