View Poll Results: Do you have Asperger's Syndrome?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

29 35.37%
  • No.

53 64.63%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here has Asperger's Syndrome?

NO! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

This is me:

Your Aspie score: 67 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 141 of 200
    You are very likely neurotypical
    And yeah, I was diagnosed when I was 15. Later in life I was diagnosed with C-PTSD, which makes more sense with my quirks and weirdness.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-06-2012 @ 06:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Region
    City of London
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48

0 Not allowed!

Suffering from stress,anxiety...hate your job....theres a club for that its called everybody and they have group meetings at the bar every evening.

Professional Racial anthropologist
    Last Online
    01-16-2014 @ 03:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433

0 Not allowed!

I'm diagnosed with Asperger syndrome. But I have the ability to read peoples faces and emotions, so I'm not really sure I have Asperger in the true sense.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Stefan; "meta-ethnicity" is a spook and I don't mean the slur.
    Ethnicity
    Stefan; "ethnicity" is a spook and I don't mean the slur.
    Ancestry
    Britain, Germany, Iberia, France, West Africa, Carribean natives, etc, etc.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U4b1b
    Taxonomy
    Pseudoscience
    Politics
    Individualist Anarchist - influenced by Tucker/Stirner/Proudhon/Warren
    Religion
    Agnostic athiest
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 728
    Given: 118

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    so if your socially awkward, and pre occupied with your own interests you have a condition?
    It isn't as simple as that.

The Complete Guide to Aspeger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood

Chapter 1,pages 11-12 What is Asperger's Syndrome?

The door bell rang, heralding the arrival of another guest for Alicia's birthday party. Her mother opened the door and looked down to see Jack, the last guest to arrive. It was her daughter's ninth birthday and the invitation list had been for ten girls and one boy, Alicia's mother had been surprised at this inclusion, thinking that girls her daughter's age usually consider boys to be smelly and stupid, and not worthy of an invitation to a girl's birthday party. But Alicia had said that Jack was different. His family had recently moved to Birmingham and Jack had been in her class for only a few weeks. Although he tried to join in with the other children, he hadn't made any friends. The other boys teased him and wouldn't let him join in any of their games. Last week he had sat next to Alicia while she was eating her lunch, and she listened to him, she thought he was a kind and lonely boy who seemed bewildered by the noise and hectic activity of the playground. He looked cute, a younger Harry Potter, and he knew so much about so many things. Her heart went out to him and, despite the perplexed looks of her friends when she said he was invited to her party, she was determined he should come.

And here he was, a solitary figure clutching a birthday card and present which he immediately gave to Alicia's mother. She noticed he had written Alicia's name on the envelope, but the writing was strangely illegible for an eight-year-old , ' You must be Jack,' she said and he simply replied with a blank face, 'Yes'. She smiled at him, and was let about to suggest he went into the garden to join Alicia and her friends when he said, 'Alicia's birthday present is one of those special dolls that my mum says every girl wants, and she chose it, but what I really wanted to get her was some batteries. Do you like batteries? I do, I have a hundred and ninety-seven batteries. Batteries are really useful. What batteries do you have in your remote controllers?' Without waiting for a reply, he continued, ' I have a special battery from Russia. My dad's an engineer and he was working on an oil pipeline in Russia and he came home with six triple-A batteries for me with Russian writing on them. They are my favourite. When I go to bed I like to look at my box of batteries and sort them in alphabetical order before I go to sleep. I always hold one of my Russian batteries as I fall asleep. My mum says I should hug my teddy bear but I prefer a battery. How many batteries do you have?

Eventually she said, 'Jack, you must go into the garden to say hi to Alicia and you must go now.' Her facial expression clearly indicated there was no alternative. He gazed at her face for a few seconds, as if trying to read the expression, and then off he went. She looked out of the kitchen window and watched him run across the grass towards Alicia. As he ran through a group of four girls, she noticed one of them deliberately put out her foot to trip him up. As he fell awkwardly to the ground, the girls all laughed. But Alicia had seen what happened and went over to help him get to his feet.

This fictitious scene is typical of an encounter with a child with Asperger's syndrome. A lack of understanding, limited ability to have a reciprocal conversation and an intense interest in a particular subject are the core features of this syndrome. Perhaps the simplest way to understand Asperger's syndrome is to think of it as describing someone who perceives and thinks about the world differently to other people.

Althought clinicians have only recently described these differences, the unusual profile of abilities that we define as Asperger's syndrome has probably been an important and valuable characteristic of our species throughout evolution. It was not until the late twentieth century that we had a name to describe such individuals. We currently use the diagnostic term Asperger's syndrome, based on the remarkably perceptive descriptions of Dr Hans Asperger, a Viennese paediatrician, who, in 1944, noticed that some of the children referred to his clinic had very similar personality characteristics and behaviour. By the mid-1940s, the psychological study of childhood in Europe and America had become a recognized and growing area of science with significant advances in descriptions, theoretical models and assessment instruments, but Asperger could not find a description and explanation for the small group of similar and unusual children that he found intriguing. He suggested the term Autistische Psychopathen im Kindesalter. A modern translation of the original German psychological term 'psychopathy' into current English terminology would be personality disorder -- that is, a description of someone's personality rather than a mental illness such as schizophrenia.

Asperger was clearly entranced by children with autistic personality disorder and he wrote a remarkably perceptive description of the children's difficulties and abilities (Asperger 1944). He observed that the children's social maturity and social reasoning were delayed and some aspects of their social abilities were quite unusual at any stage of development. The children's use of language was pedantic, and some children had an unusual prosody that affected the tone, pitch, and rhythm of speech. The grammar and vocabulary may have been relatively advanced but, at the end of the conversation, one had the impression that there was something unusual about the ability to have the typical conversation that would be expected with children of that age. Asperger also observed and described conspicuous impairments in the communication and control of emotions, and a tendency to intellectualize feelings. Empathy was not as mature as one would expect, considering the children's intellectual abilities. The children also had an egocentric preoccupation with a specific topic of interest that would dominate their thoughts and time. Some of the children had difficulty maintaining attention in class and had specific learning problems. Asperger noted that they often needed more assistance with self-help and organizational skills from their mothers than one would expect. He described conspicuous clumsiness win terms of gait and coordination. He also noted that some children were extremely sensitive to particular sounds, aromas, textures and touch.

Asperger considered that the characteristics could be identified in some children as young as two or three years, although for most children, the characteristics only became conspicuous some years later. He also noticed that some of the parents, especially the fathers of such children, appeared to share some of the personality characteristics of their child. He wrote that the condition was probably due to genetic or neurological rather than psychological or environmental, factors. In his initial and subsequent publications and a recent analysis of his patient records for children he saw over three decades, it is apparent that he considered autistic personality disorder as part of a natural continuum of abilities that merges into the normal range (Asperger 1944, 1952, 1979; Hippler and Klicpera 2004). He conceptualized the disorder as a life-long and stable personality type, and did not observe the disintegration and fragmentation that occurs in schizophrenia. He also noted that some of the children had specific talents that could lead to successful employment and some could develop life-long relationships.
    Table 2.1 The Gillberg diagnostic criteria for Asperger's Syndrome (Gillberg 1991)

1. Social impairment (extreme egocentricity) (at least two of the following):

- difficulties interacting with peers

- indifference to peer contacts

- difficulties interpreting social cues

- socially and emotionally inappropriate behaviour.

2. Narrow interest (at least one of the following)

- exclusion of other activities.

- repetitive adherenece

- more rote than meaning

3. Compulsive need for introducing routines and interests (at least one of the following).

- which affect the individual's every aspect of everyday life

- which affect others

4. Speech and language peculiarities (at least three of the following).

- delayed speech development

- superficially perfect expressive language

- formal pedantic language

- odd prosody, peculiar voice characteristics

- impairment of comprehension including misinterpretations of literal/implied meanings.

5. Non-verbal communication problems (at least one of the following):

- limited use of gestures

- clumsy/gauche body language

- limited facial expression

- inappropriate facial expression

- peculiar, stiff gaze.

6. Motor clumsiness:

- poor performance in neurodevelopment test.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-29-2019 @ 11:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Czech Republic, Germany, French Huguenot, Ireland
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    apolitical
    Religion
    agnostic, born Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55

0 Not allowed!

Asperger's is one of the more hideous diagnoses used by our overlords. As a concept, its designed to make introverts feel ashamed of themselves. As if there's something wrong with not being a consumerist, party-maniac who's so socialized they can't think straight.

P.S.: For the record, I was *NOT* diagnosed with Asperger's.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Your Aspie score: 162 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 58 of 200
    You are very likely an Aspie

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Stefan; "meta-ethnicity" is a spook and I don't mean the slur.
    Ethnicity
    Stefan; "ethnicity" is a spook and I don't mean the slur.
    Ancestry
    Britain, Germany, Iberia, France, West Africa, Carribean natives, etc, etc.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U4b1b
    Taxonomy
    Pseudoscience
    Politics
    Individualist Anarchist - influenced by Tucker/Stirner/Proudhon/Warren
    Religion
    Agnostic athiest
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 728
    Given: 118

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis24 View Post
    Asperger's is one of the more hideous diagnoses used by our overlords. As a concept, its designed to make introverts feel ashamed of themselves. As if there's something wrong with not being a consumerist, party-maniac who's so socialized they can't think straight.

I don't agree with this at all. Maybe for some who are misdiagnosed, but for the textbook case, that individual is recognizably within the autistic spectrum. It's pointless to argue though. In a year there won't be an "Asperger's" diagnosis, instead there will be Autistic Spectrum Disorder to cover the whole autistic spectrum.

Last Online
    03-08-2017 @ 12:18 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dinaric
    Country
    Serbia
    Region
    Mississippi
    Politics
    Conservative/Classical Liberal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,199
    Given: 1,401

0 Not allowed!

Your Aspie score: 65 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 142 of 200
    You are very likely neurotypical

Anglicised Continental Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    06-30-2014 @ 07:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi
    Ancestry
    France, Romania, Austria, Poland.
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    Sub-Nordid + Pontid
    Politics
    Conservative-leaning moderate.
    Religion
    Earth-based spiritualist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 59

0 Not allowed!

If you live with Aspergers or know someone who has it, you can't deny its existence. It can be debilitating. Misanthropy, bitterness, and introversion are completely different.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” -Tyrion Lannister, A Game Of Thrones

Professional Racial anthropologist
    Last Online
    01-16-2014 @ 03:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis24 View Post

My brother thinks my Asperger diagnosis is bogus, but he don't trust any psychiatrists so I think he'd say that about any label they'd put on me.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information