Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your family's progress up or down the social ladder.

puttin' in yer windies Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2013 @ 04:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Your family's progress up or down the social ladder.

I thought it would be interesting to share some tales about our family's progress up and/or down the social ladder as to lend to context pertaining to the circumstances which may have influenced our perceptions of social stratification.

The general climb and descent went as such in my case (below will be a spoiler with more specifics):

Greive/Bailiff - Yeoman farmer and churchwarden - Yeoman farmer and clerk - Thief and cross Atlantic migrant - Respectable upper yeoman farmers - Respectable lower yeoman farmers - Petty land holders but with decent earnings - Tenants with prospects of rising back up the ladder once college education is completed.

The roller coaster ride up and down the social ladder has given me an appreciation for societal perceptions from the eyes of the economically sound as well as the economically destitute. I strongly support the ideals of reimbursement for honest labor but I also strongly disagree with how labor unions are manipulated to support the lazy (examples being state departments of transportation where there will be multiple workers on a job with only one or two working while the others stand around doing nothing, all getting the same job securities).

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Barreldriver; 05-28-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Last Online
    01-30-2021 @ 01:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,131
    Given: 4,234

0 Not allowed!

My family began as villagers who then left Bosnia to start our lives in Australia where we live like kings (compared to my relatives in Ex-Yu) and as normal people (compared to other Australians).

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vojvoda View Post
    My family began as villagers who then left Bosnia to start our lives in Australia where we live like kings (compared to my relatives in Ex-Yu) and as normal people (compared to other Australians).
    How has that influenced your perceptions of social stratification, if at all?

Banned
    Last Online
    01-24-2015 @ 08:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Netherlands
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    whatever
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66

0 Not allowed!

Before, and even after the Civil War, my paternal ancestors were wealthy land owners. The Great Depression was a struggle though. They still had their land, but not much money during that time.

The land was divided up and none of them farm anymore, not on a full time basis. Today, most are middle and upper middle class.

My mother's family were also land owners, but not as much land as on my father's side. My mothers side did thrive during the depression though. My maternal grandparents had a thriving farm and restaurant business during the Great Depression, despite them giving away a lot of food and money to the poor.

This was all in southern Alabama.

Last Online
    03-13-2020 @ 11:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtiberian/Italo-Norman
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese/Italian
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid/Alpine/CM
    Politics
    Elitist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

0 Not allowed!

My maternal grandparents were poor immigrants from Portugal who came to Brazil in the 1940´s. They were born in a small village near Braga, both from humble families. They had to marry in secret because their families didn´t get along and forbade them from seeing each other. When My grandmother´s parents found out she was pregnant, they kicked her out and she had to go live with her aunt and uncle. My grandfather decided to move to Brazil so they could have a better life, but he didn´t have enough money to support a family so he had to go by himself. He opened a small grocery store in Rio and a few years later he sent for my grandmother and my uncle, who was already a toddler when he met his father for the first time. As the years passed, my grandfather´s business grew, he opened more stores and eventually he became owner of one of the biggest and most successful supermarket chains in Brazil. By the time my mother was a teenager they were already very wealthy. The stores have all been sold and now my family owns several trade/business centers.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Contra Mundum View Post
    Before, and even after the Civil War, my paternal ancestors were wealthy land owners. The Great Depression was a struggle though. They still had their land, but not much money during that time.

The land was divided up and none of them farm anymore, not on a full time bases. Today, most are middle and upper middle class.

My mother's family were also land owners, but not as much land as on my father's side. My mothers side did thrive during the depression though. My maternal grandparents had a thriving farm and restaurant business during the Great Depression, despite them giving away a lot of food and money to the poor.

This was all in southern Alabama.
    Interesting to see the perspective of a lowland family, seems y'all had similar circumstance to uplanders.

I am curious about one thing, ye also mention as I did the division of property amongst multiple heirs.

Within my kingroup we see things agnatically when it comes to culture/ethnicity, sons inheriting their ethnicity from their father, but when it comes to property we deviate from the agnatic norm by engaging in a system similar to gavelkind where the property is divided amongst any eligible males of the kingroup regardless of chronological position (to be clarified, the male doesn't have to be the eldest son, but any or all of the male siblings and sometimes male cousins with a dower or other minor allotment for the females).

Such a development is a bit puzzling to myself from a mechanical p.o.v.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-24-2015 @ 08:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Netherlands
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    whatever
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Barreldriver View Post
    Interesting to hear the perspective of a lowland family, seems y'all had similar circumstance to uplanders.

I am curious about one thing, ye also mention as I did the division of property amongst multiple heirs.

Within my kingroup we see things agnatically when it comes to culture/ethnicity, sons inheriting their ethnicity from their father, but when it comes to property we deviate from the agnatic norm by engaging in a system similar to gavelkind where the property is divided amongst any eligible males of the kingroup regardless of chronological position (to be clarified, the male doesn't have to be the eldest son, but any or all of the male siblings and sometimes male cousins with a dower or other minor allotment for the females).

Such a development is a bit puzzling to myself from a mechanical p.o.v.
    My maternal grandparents divided their land up equally among their 4 children(3 sons, 1 daughter). On the paternal side, it wasn't so equal. 2 sons got all the land, the rest received a small amount of money. The two sons had large families of their own and split the land equally. I don't think anyone owns more than 200 acres today, and most own less than 20, some own no land other than the lot their home sits on. People down there don't seem to care about land anymore. Few of them farm, or even hunt and fish.

Last Online
    01-30-2021 @ 01:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,131
    Given: 4,234

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Barreldriver View Post
    How has that influenced your perceptions of social stratification, if at all?
    I guess I've learnt that different countries have different class/social structures.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Contra Mundum View Post
    My maternal grandparents divided their land up equally among their 4 children(3 sons, 1 daughter). On the paternal side, it wasn't so equal. 2 sons got all the land, the rest received a small amount of money. The two sons had large families of their own and split the land equally. I don't think anyone owns more than 200 acres today, and most own less than 20, some own no land other than the lot their home sits on. People down there don't seem to care about land anymore. Few of them farm, or even hunt and fish.
    What do you think lead to this method of passing on inheritance?

I cannot seem to explain it on my own behalf, the practice doesn't seem to fit with the agnatic aspects of my own kingroup's culture yet we still engage in it.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vojvoda View Post
    I guess I've learnt that different countries have different class/social structures.
    Has your family's history played a role in how you perceive laborer vs. management conflicts? Do you have a loyalty to one plight or the other or some other stance?

I can only presume within the context of my own situation, but I tend to think that those who have come from families that have been on both sides of the social ladder are more suited to consider these issues with a more eclectic perspective.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information