Human
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 25

0 Not allowed!

Default Who are Hungarians?

I'm confused. I always thought that Hungarians are Fenno-Ugric until I heard about theories that claim some Turkic origins of them.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-26-2013 @ 10:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnex View Post
    I'm confused. I always thought that Hungarians are Fenno-Ugric until I heard about theories that claim some Turkic origins of them.
    Basically, all tribes migrating along the Danube and the Roman limes ended up in the Panonian plains at some point - the Sarmatians, Iazyges, Vandals, Goths and Gepides, the Lombards. Then came the Turkic people - the Huns the Avars and the Khazras and the Kipchaks and the Slavs of course. Hungarians came last. They splinetered off the Khazar Khaganate and came from the Volga mixing and eventually assimilating most of the previous inhabitants.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    01-02-2017 @ 06:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Primate
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
    Basically, all tribes migrating along the Danube and the Roman limes ended up in the Panonian plains at some point - the Sarmatians, Iazyges, Vandals, Goths and Gepides, the Lombards. Then came the Turkic people - the Huns the Avars and the Khazras and the Kipchaks and the Slavs of course. Hungarians came last. They splinetered off the Khazar Khaganate and came from the Volga mixing and eventually assimilating most of the previous inhabitants.
    I didn't ask for genetics, but for Hungarian language and about how an average Hungarian identify himself.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I didn't ask for genetics, but for Hungarian language and about how an average Hungarian identify himself.
    Well then you gave yourself an answer. They are Ugric.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-06-2018 @ 07:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hunnic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Petrich, Ottoman Macedonia
    Country
    Turkey
    Politics
    Anti-globalist nationalism, Anti-fascist patriotism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87

0 Not allowed!

The very first Hungarians who migrated into Pannonia was consisted of 7 tribes. At least 3-4 of them was Turkic peoples. Already these tribes were part of Turkic Khazar empire living around the north of Blacksea and they separated from Khazar empire afterwards.

When they had tengrist, shamanist faith, probably they were being ruled by the leaders of Turkic tribes because from 9th century to 11th, they were being called as Turks and when they became christians, they were still getting crowned as "Kings of Tourkia" for a century. So, from 9th century to 11th, Pannonia was being known as Turkey.

There are many people in Hungarian academics who refutes Ugric theory because similarities between Turkic and Hungarian is more than the similarities between Finnish and Hungarian.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    01-02-2017 @ 06:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Primate
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Onur View Post
    The very first Hungarians who migrated into Pannonia was consisted of 7 tribes. At least 3-4 of them was Turkic peoples. Already these tribes were part of Turkic Khazar empire living around the north of Blacksea and they separated from Khazar empire afterwards.

When they had tengrist, shamanist faith, probably they were being ruled by the leaders of Turkic tribes because from 9th century to 11th, they were being called as Turks and when they became christians, they were still getting crowned as "Kings of Tourkia" for a century. So, from 9th century to 11th, Pannonia was being known as Turkey.
    But why they are consider as Fenno-Ugric, if they're descended from some Turkic tribes? That doesn't make a sense.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

But why they are consider as Fenno-Ugric, if they're descended from some Turkic tribes? That doesn't make a sense.
    They descend from them all. Hungarian language gradually replaced the others. But Hungarians have a historical dislike of Turks and I very much doubt they identify themselves with Turkic tribes (except perhaps for a few forum nutheads).

Banned
    Last Online
    11-19-2013 @ 10:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Ancestry
    Central Anatolian Turk & Crimean Tatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 54

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Onur View Post

Even the word "Hungary" derived from the "on-oghur" (ten-oghur).
    On-oghur-ia > Hungaria > Hungary
    The "Oghur" is sub-branch of the Turk, just like the Karluk, Oghuz, Kypchak etc.
    Btw this is not pan-Turanism or something, but a historical fact.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-06-2018 @ 07:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hunnic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Petrich, Ottoman Macedonia
    Country
    Turkey
    Politics
    Anti-globalist nationalism, Anti-fascist patriotism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87

0 Not allowed!

This is the holy crown of Hungary made by the Byzantines in 11th century after the kings of Hungary spread christianity in the country;

To the right there is a picture of the Hungarian King Géza I (1074–1077), with the Greek inscription: "ΓΕΩΒΙΤZΑC ΠΙΣΤΟC ΚΡΑΛΗC ΤΟΥΡΚΙΑC" (Geōvitzas pistós králēs Tourkías, meaning "Géza I, faithful kralj of the land of the Turks"). The contemporary Byzantine name for the Hungarians was "Turks", while the Hungarian branch of the Greek Orthodox Church, under Constantinople's jurisdiction, was named the "Metropolitanate of Tourkia" (Hungary), and the head of this church was the "Metropolitan of Tourkia" (Hungary).[5]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Crown_of_Hungary

This Ugric theory invented in late 19th century and it`s mostly about politics. Before that theory, both Uralic and Altaic groups was considered as in same category. You can also see that in the ethnic maps drawn by western Europeans in 19th century. In those maps, Finns, Hungarians and Turks falls under same category of "Turko-Tatar Mongols".

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
    But Hungarians have a historical dislike of Turks and I very much doubt they identify themselves with Turkic tribes (except perhaps for a few forum nutheads).
    This is wrong.

Ottoman empire did most ferocious wars against Hungarians but for more than a century, Hungary is the most friendly country in Europe for Turkey. The relations between Hungary and Turkey is excellent in all areas. If there are Hungarians who dislikes Turks, they should be just few religious freaks or nutheads. Already, it doesn't matter how they identify themselves. We are talking about history here and however people feels themselves, that doesn't change historical facts.

The relations between Hungary and Turkey is not like the Balkan countries. I cant even compare it. The only memorial park outside Turkey about the Ottoman empire is in Hungary. Hungarian parliamentarians organizes memorial visits to it every year together with our embassy.
    Last edited by Onur; 05-26-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 07:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

Sup Bakura.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information