View Poll Results: Who are the Pontic Greeks?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Descendants of Greek colonizers

39 46.43%
  • Hellenized Anatolians

31 36.90%
  • Other (elaborate)

14 16.67%
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are the Pontic Greeks?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-06-2018 @ 07:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hunnic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Petrich, Ottoman Macedonia
    Country
    Turkey
    Politics
    Anti-globalist nationalism, Anti-fascist patriotism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I found this in related videos. It says, they are Pontiac and video recorded in Salonika. They sing in half Turkish half Greek;

[YOUTUBE]JiRpr0tm90I[/YOUTUBE]

i really have no idea how they can still sing in Turkish after 2-3 generations since 1924. I guess some people in Greece refuses to accept assimilation and hate propaganda.

I watched several documentaries about Anatolian immigrants of Greece and Turkish media interviewed the ones who came to Turkey. They were saying that after they arrived to Greece, Greeks namecalled them as "Tourkosporos" for a long time. Their elderly people stayed inside their homes `till they die and they couldn't integrated to the society because they couldn't speak Greek. Also whenever they go out, even Greek kids chased them by yelling and threw stones at them.

I know, even today Greeks uses the term "Tourkosporo" towards these immigrants as an humiliation. Also, there are several football clubs formed by Anatolian immigrants like "AEK" and when they do their own league games, opponent side`s supporters uses same terms to humiliate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastos View Post
    If I remember my history correctly, Turks came by force and forced Trebizond Greeks to submit to Turkish rule or be exterminated. Turkish customs = Greek customs and traditions. up
    Greeks also came with force as anyone in the history at some point but Turks never exterminated anyone in Anatolia when they first gone there in 11th century.

Btw Sebastos, you became Greek today? Who you gonna be tomorrow? Your identity crisis becoming quite boring day by day.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-09-2023 @ 07:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Country
    Greece
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,179
    Given: 12,243

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Onur View Post
    Brunette, it`s not about convincing someone for something, it`s about the truth. Are you trying to tell me that these people are not mixed?;
    What customs have to do with ancestry?
    Most of customs in Ionian islands are Venetian, but yet, you NEVER ONCE claims about modern Greeks being ''also'' a mix of Italians.

Btw, she has nothing to do with Brunette.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-19-2013 @ 10:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Ancestry
    Central Anatolian Turk & Crimean Tatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 54

0 Not allowed!

Absolutely Hellenized North East anatolians. They aren't different than Laz people of north east anatolia.

Last Online
    01-07-2018 @ 05:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ancient
    Ethnicity
    Dorian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,096
    Given: 2,740

0 Not allowed!

Well and also...Who forced them say they are Greeks? What you say would apply if Greeks had Pontics under their rule... but no, Turks did and these people 3.000 years now say proudly we are Greeks.... and no they wouldnt mix with Turks...

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-06-2018 @ 07:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hunnic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Petrich, Ottoman Macedonia
    Country
    Turkey
    Politics
    Anti-globalist nationalism, Anti-fascist patriotism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dandelion View Post
    What customs have to do with ancestry?
    Ofc your customs are an indication of your ancestry but you are so deluded and brainwashed, you might also deny this fact too.

Most of customs in Ionian islands are Venetian, but yet, you NEVER ONCE claims about modern Greeks being ''also'' a mix of Italians.
    Your or their opinion is irrelevant because you are brainwashed into pseudo-hellenic identity and yes, western Greeks, some islanders like Corfu and some Aegean islanders clearly have Venetian and Italian influences both in customs and genetics.

Whether they express this or not, it`s irrelevant to the truth. The truth doesn't change when it`s unspoken by people.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-19-2013 @ 10:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Ancestry
    Central Anatolian Turk & Crimean Tatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 54

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Linet View Post
    Well and also...Who forced them say they are Greeks? What you say would apply if Greeks had Pontics under their rule... but no, Turks did and these people 3.000 years now say proudly we are Greeks.... and no they wouldnt mix with Turks...
    I know, you think that you never mixed since the dark ages.
    But interestingly, although greece is a small country, the northern greeks and southern greeks are genetically&physically very different.
    The so-called pontic greeks are simply hellenized north east anatolians.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastos View Post
    If I remember my history correctly, Turks came by force and forced Trebizond Greeks to submit to Turkish rule or be exterminated. Turkish customs = Greek customs and traditions. up
    yes, according to your history teachers from primary school.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-09-2023 @ 07:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Country
    Greece
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,179
    Given: 12,243

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Onur View Post
    Whether they express this or not, it`s irrelevant to the truth. The truth doesn't change when it`s unspoken by people.
    I am talking about YOU know.
    You are posting in every single of your posts that Greeks blabla bla are in fact Bulgarians, Turks, Albanians, blablablah, and NOT EVEN ONE TIME you mention Italians/Venetians.

Quote Originally Posted by Pecheneg View Post
    We did mix. But its different to be mixed, than to say Greeks are Anatolians, Albanians, Vlachs, etc.

But it depends the area and the ''customs''.
    1) Greeks never willingly mixed with Muslims.
    So, if a Greek in Greece was mixed with an Ottoman the offspring was considered a Muslim not Greek anymore.
    2) Greeks in diaspora, were more hard to mix, especially with Muslims (again), compared to Greeks within Greek borders.
    3) It also depends of how Greeks ''view'' the ones that they mixed. For example, in Ionian Islands there were many mixings with Venetians, but this was between Noble (Nobili) Ionians, and not with ''common'' (Popolaroi) Ionians.

Last Online
    01-07-2018 @ 05:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ancient
    Ethnicity
    Dorian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,096
    Given: 2,740

0 Not allowed!

There were Greek colonies there, you cant deny history... Greek colonies means cities built by pure blooded Greeks. I didnt say that later also Turks came to the area, also Turkey has borders with Georgia and Georgia also has shores to pontus as well as Russia...so what? You are mixed Georgian- Russians? Greeks cant be Greeks? They had to mix? Sorry but we never really liked mixing... I dont say that is good or bad but we just never did and we consider it as something really bad and low....
    As Aristotelis said "Anyone who is not Greek is a barbarian"... Do you consider people with such ideas would mix?
    the Macedonian rulers in Egypt... ruled for 300+ years and never accepted or learn to speak anythign but Greek although they ruled Egypt... I dotn say others are inferiors..is not a matter of who is better or worse but this is the Greek mindset that we should not mix.

But interestingly, although greece is a small country, the northern greeks and southern greeks are genetically&physically very different.
    The so-called pontic greeks are simply hellenized north east anatolians.
    Greeks are consisted of many different tribes. All Hellenic but yet each one special.
    Doric people were fairer than Ionians and Aeolians were considered big headed... now count Epirotans, Minoans, Arcadians etc...

i'ma educated foo w/money on my mind Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Taxonomy
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 31

0 Not allowed!

They're descendants of Greeks, but I definitely think many are somewhat mixed, even if at a minor level.

I'm only basing this off what I see with my eyes though. Many look quite exotic to me for European standards and look quite different from the average mainland Greek.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Taxonomy
    Pontid-CM
    Hero
    Julius Evola
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,157
    Given: 6,705

0 Not allowed!

I couldn't care less about their origins. I just know there are far too many of them in Aegean Macedonia. They claim they are decendants of ancient Macedonians when in fact they arrived in Aegean Macedonia in the 1920s

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information