Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the negative attitude towards Slavs/Poles?

Last Online
    08-27-2012 @ 03:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Finnuit
    Ancestry
    Finno-Ugers and Germano-Slavics
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    (Atlanto-)Nordid with Borealised Borreby Influences (A.K.A. Masterrace)
    Politics
    Isänmaallinen kansanliike
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
    Are you sure? Are you sure? It does not look on the polish work ...

As far as I know, a lot of these countries have a lot of Polish immigrants.

It was even the Polish ambassador who stated this, not some random German.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-24-2015 @ 08:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Netherlands
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    whatever
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66

0 Not allowed!

Never met someone from Poland, but knew a few Americans of Polish descent and liked them all.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-06-2012 @ 06:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Region
    City of London
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony View Post
    I'd never spoken a word to the guy before or since.
    Your honour....members of the jury.......may i put it this way to you.

Liar...liar....your bums on fire.

Last Online
    10-04-2013 @ 08:34 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ottoman
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Ancestry
    TURAN!!!
    Country
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Politics
    Ottomanism
    Religion
    Eternal Jihad
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 9

0 Not allowed!

It's just jealousy of lesser races

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-23-2016 @ 05:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48

0 Not allowed!

Can't speak for other european states, but I know poles are relatively well seen here. I think one of the bigger 'stereotypes' of polish people is that they are rather eccentric but very smart (Marie Curie, Coppernicus, Chopin, etc.). They are also perceived as being very attractive (women especially).

I know there have been some poles who have played very significant roles in american history, and most americans of polish background have been very well integrated so as far as I know, they are seen as anyone else.

Where Poland may have had a bad rep with most of its neighbours, I know France has generally had good relations with Poland (both historically and contemporarily) and as far as I know, Poles are well liked in France.

As someone who is half polish, I have never encountered any real negativity towards Poles, except maybe once when I was talking with a friend of mine who is an english policeman, who was saying many spousal abuse cases in England (where a drunk husband beats his wife) were done by Poles. Outside of that case, I can't say I have ever heard negative things about Poles anywhere else.

Last Online
    01-08-2014 @ 07:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    słowaińskie
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Politics
    moderate conservatism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    As far as I know, a lot of these countries have a lot of Polish immigrants.

It was even the Polish ambassador who stated this, not some random German.
    As far as I know a lot of Poles in Great Britain, Ireland, Germany and the Netherlands. Of these countries only the United Kingdom is in the forefront - highlighted on the map

Last Online
    09-08-2013 @ 01:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Swiss
    Ancestry
    Swiss/Luxembourgish/French
    Country
    Estonia
    Region
    Goetaland
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Swiss psalm
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

0 Not allowed!

Germans/Nazis - killed 30 millions of slavs during WW2 but lost 6 millions of their own ppl.

Nazis during WW2 was calling slavs "sub-humans that are worse then animals and only jews are worse then them"

I seen many germans they hate slavs - especially they hate polish and eastern slavs. But i dont think other western ppl hate slavs - i dont think that celtic countrys like Belgium,France,Ireland,UK,Canada have many ppl that hate slavs.

I also seen russians that hate their slavic brothers poles and ukrainians more then any one else.

I also heard that finnish and estonian people hate russians but im not sure.

Last Online
    08-27-2012 @ 03:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Finnuit
    Ancestry
    Finno-Ugers and Germano-Slavics
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    (Atlanto-)Nordid with Borealised Borreby Influences (A.K.A. Masterrace)
    Politics
    Isänmaallinen kansanliike
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
    As far as I know a lot of Poles in Great Britain, Ireland, Germany and the Netherlands. Of these countries only the United Kingdom is in the forefront - highlighted on the map
    Norway and Sweden are starting to have an increasing number of Poles as well.

Magnificent bastard Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-08-2014 @ 02:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, French, Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Ubermensch
    Ancestry
    Germany Austria France Croatia
    Country
    Croatia
    Taxonomy
    Mixed
    Politics
    Freedom.......
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Contra Mundum View Post
    Never met someone from Poland, but knew a few Americans of Polish descent and liked them all.
    Most of the Polish people I know in South Africa are nice, well educated and very rich, however some of my friends in the UK have commented that the British immigrant Poles they met are very coarse and crude.

Other Slavs that I met had very crude behavior.
    Fortune favors the bold.

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.
    Buddha

Banned
    Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 09:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    German-Irish-Scot 1/8th Italian
    Ancestry
    Co. Mayo, Baden, Hessen Darmstadt, Rhine-Hessen, Berliner, Co Monaghan, Lower Saxony, and Co. Cork
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Master Morality/Prussianism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257

0 Not allowed!

I think a lot of it might have a combination to do with more recent events in the modern era, and the history between these people going back to the Middle of the Middle Ages. Its a very complex ordeal, and I don't think all Westerners are negative towards Poles and Slavs. I have seen and met some very nice Polish people, but they just seemed foreign and different to me, and there was nothing wrong with it. I just did not agree with their degree of a foreign feeling and difference, and I found them to be a bit simplistic and naive.

This might be a misperception of my own, and I definitely do not hate any other European peoples. I try not to generalize or make broad assumptions about specific groups of people, but certainly I think some are partially true or some semblance of truth attached to them. My dad's family came from an area of many Southern and Eastern Europeans, but there were also many British Islander and German descended people.

The German descended people especially saw the Southerners and Eastern Europeans as being rather lowly, drunken, slovenly, unkempt, and loud. There are many Polish festivities in the area, and many of the German descended people would criticize the lowliness of the whole affair, but oddly enough they attend their festivities for the sake of it.

I have even heard instances of the German descended people in my dad's area criticizing and poking fun at Southern and Eastern European peoples for being inferior, and not having good German blood like them. I have never read or seen much anti-Polish/Slavic rhetoric amongst British people until more recently with all the most recent immigrants, although there were certainly some negative comments that I have seen historically from this side of the aisle.

Slavs and Polish people in general have always seen as barbarian peasants, who did not have a proper understanding of true and authentic culture. There has been anti-Slavic/anti-Polish feelings going back to the time of the Teutonic knights, and it would escalate later on in the Middle Ages. A lot of it was political and territorial in nature, but there were also descriptions that the Polish were lazy and uncultured peasant barbarians, who were ignorant and simplistic.

When Prussia would come to dominate, although their were even some mixing among the aristocracy with Polish nobility, their generally was some negative sentiment towards Slavs, but it was not as marked or distinct as it would become later. The Poles were basically the serfs for the German Burghers, and they of course saw themselves as more disciplined, cultured, and politically structured than the Polish.

German and Austrian historians would blame the fall of the Polish-Lithuanian government on the Slavic/Polish peoples, because they were too disorganized and unstructured in a cultural sense. Now anti-Slavic/Polish behavior would really ramp up during the time of the Romantics, and Ernst Mortiz Arndt would claim that the Polish/Wends have not offered a single notable accomplishments or achievement to culture or the intellect.

There was also plenty of other negative rhetoric from German nationalists and intellectuals during this time period, and clearly German had transcended Polish/Slavic cultures to the nth degree when it came to quality of intellectual and cultural datum distilled.

There are many different causes and reasons behind anti-Slavic/anti-Polish behavior due to historical reasons going back to the Middle Medieval period and in more recent times. Anti-Slavic behavior in the U.S. tends to be refined to a few German communities, and people of German descent, such as in the Midwest and parts of Pennsylvania Dutch country.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information