Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,590
    Given: 16,990

0 Not allowed!

What is the story behind the white 'fin' on the head in the women's dress?

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic / Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Taxonomy
    West Baltid
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

10 Not allowed!

Default Blue Iceland: Stunning Photos Of Icelandic Landscapes Taken With Infrared Technique

Blue Iceland: Stunning Photos Of Icelandic Landscapes Taken With Infrared Technique

As amazing as Iceland’s natural sights are, the sheer amount of photographers that visit there means that a lot of their photos end up looking fairly similar. UK-based photographer Andy Lee, however, has used an interesting technique to ensure that his photographs of Iceland’s stark and proud landscape are especially dramatic and atmospheric.

Lee’s stunning photos, which are from “Blue Iceland” and several other Iceland-focused series, resemble Romantic-era paintings because of their moody atmosphere and dramatic lighting. They were created by shooting with a camera that can pick up infrared light and/or a filter that filters out some or all visible light (emphasizing infrared wavelengths). Digital SLR cameras react to IR light, but many have blockers installed to minimize it. This means that one would either have to remove the blocker or use a darkening IR filter (for more tips on how to use this technique, check out this article).

This technique can produce very interesting effects, blocking light from some visible wavelengths, emphasizing light from others, and picking up light from some wavelengths invisible to the naked eye. The natural features in Lee’s painting-like photographs stand under a black sky and are eerily illuminated by a seemingly faint and distant sun.

Iceland, a country rich with roaring volcanoes, monolithic glaciers, icy mountains and deep fjords, has become a mecca for photographers looking to capture the raw, mystical power of its natural northern beauty. The ruggedness of and stark contrasts present in Iceland’s landscapes makes them irresistible to photographers like Lee.

Source: http://www.snowaddiction.org/2014/05...technique.html

Last Online
    02-22-2018 @ 10:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Country
    England
    Taxonomy
    Saxon
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,147
    Given: 1,229

2 Not allowed!

Absolutely incredible photographs. Wow.

Last Online
    06-10-2014 @ 02:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Mercia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 37

1 Not allowed!

The pictures look animated for the most part. I'd love to travel there and through the Northern reaches of Europe in general someday.

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic / Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Taxonomy
    West Baltid
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
    The pictures look animated for the most part. I'd love to travel there and through the Northern reaches of Europe in general someday.
    "Blue Iceland: Stunning Photos Of Icelandic Landscapes Taken With Infrared Technique"

Last Online
    06-10-2014 @ 02:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Mercia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 37

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimiera View Post
    "Blue Iceland: Stunning Photos Of Icelandic Landscapes Taken With Infrared Technique"
    Yes, and? I noticed the title and read the text before viewing the pics. My statement "animated for the most part" was meant to reinforce the surrealist nature of the photos, in that they incorporate animation and reality to create something extraordinary, just as the photographer intended. No need to be so pedantic and semantical!

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic / Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Taxonomy
    West Baltid
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Default The Laufįs Turf Houses in Eyjafjöršur

The Laufįs Turf Houses in Eyjafjöršur

The Laufįs turf houses in Eyjafjöršur are a must visit while travelling in North-Iceland.

I love these old turf-houses, they are so typical Icelandic. It has been said that the turf-houses are Iceland“s contribution to the world“s architecture My grandmother was born in a turf-house, so it is not so long ago that turf-houses were lived in here in Iceland. Times have changed, for sure.

Laufįs is bigger than the normal turf-houses though. Up to 20-30 people were living here at Laufįs, including domestics. The furnishing inside is from ca 1900 and shows how Icelanders were living at that time.

Laufįs was mentioned in the records from the Settlement of Iceland way back in 874-930. It was rebuilt when Rev. Björn Halldórsson resided at Laufįs in 1853-1882.

Laufįs was a wealthy farm by Icelandic standards. The last minister lived at Laufįs until 1936 when he moved into a newer vicarage.

When I last visited Laufįs a tourist had stopped his car in the middle of the road above Laufįs, and ran out and took photos left and right. What he didn't know was that if he had driven just a a short distance ahead there he would find a parking lot and the entrance to Laufįs. I guess he was just so excited about seeing such old turf-houses from the road

There has been a church at Laufįs since early Christianity in Iceland. The present church at Laufįs was built in 1865 and was dedicated to the Apostle Paul in Catholicism.

In the church you will see a very decorative pulpit from 1698. And I love the christening font, it was all lit up in the sunlight when I visited the church, ever so lovely.

The church is open and you can go inside and have a look around.

Laufįs is open in the summer months from 9-17.

Laufįs is close to the village Grenivķk on road 83, 30 km away from Akureyri. Coming from Akureyri get off ring-road 1 before you drive up on the mountain to Vķkurskarš.

Source: http://www.guidetoiceland.is/talk-to...as-turf-houses

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic / Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Taxonomy
    West Baltid
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

5 Not allowed!

Default Breathtaking Landscapes Convey the Dazzling Beauty of Iceland [PHOTOS]

Breathtaking Landscapes Convey the Dazzling Beauty of Iceland

When nature photographer Erez Marom recently reached out to us to share his Iceland photographs, we were in complete awe of the breathtaking places—including Godafoss, one of the most spectacular waterfalls in the whole world—that the artist captures through his adventurous explorations. Each magical landscape conveys the silent and dazzling beauty that Iceland has to offer.

Born and based in Israel, Marom says he is drawn to the cold climate of Iceland because it is so unlike the warmer climate of his home country. Every year, he spends a full month traveling throughout Iceland to capture the golden sunsets, Northern lights, frozen waterfalls, and wintery atmosphere, occasionally using long exposures to maximize the alluring elegance of the place.

Marom says, "I think more people should be exposed to these so-called 'harsh' landscapes. Often times, they're much more exciting and spectacular than tropical beaches or green meadows. I'd like to allow people to understand that these, seemingly, alien places are right there and that you can visit them and enjoy what our world has to offer, in a different way." With that in mind, Marom offers three annual photography workshops where he leads people on a photographic journey throughout the mesmerizing country.

Source: http://www.snowaddiction.org/2014/07...f-iceland.html

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-23-2020 @ 04:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Whirlpool
    Country
    Canada
    Taxonomy
    Ethereal
    Politics
    Apathetic
    Religion
    Apathy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,436
    Given: 1,629

0 Not allowed!

Stunning. Proof that Northern countries can also be beautiful.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information