View Poll Results: What is you y-DNA Haplogroup?

Voters
676. You may not vote on this poll
  • I1

64 9.47%
  • I2b

6 0.89%
  • I2a1

23 3.40%
  • I2a2

27 3.99%
  • N1c1

20 2.96%
  • R1a

127 18.79%
  • R1b

185 27.37%
  • G2a

25 3.70%
  • E1b1b

85 12.57%
  • J2

48 7.10%
  • J1

18 2.66%
  • T

9 1.33%
  • Other (Please Specify)

39 5.77%
Page 4 of 142 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Y-DNA Haplogroup?

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Barreldriver View Post
    M269 coming into existence right at the end of the Upper Paleolithic would perhaps result in a Mesolithic Doggerland settlement having that haplogroup, though the last I heard the Doggerlander's were I2b, so not too sure on this one.
    They will hardly ALL have been I2b. And we should also be thinking about Bell Beaker groups in the period after Doggerland had sunk away, too.

puttin' in yer windies Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2013 @ 04:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswiu View Post
    They will hardly ALL have been I2b. And we should also be thinking about Bell Beaker groups in the period after Doggerland had sunk away, too.
    I'd say that I2b would have been more common among the Bell Beaker, at least that's the impression I got from Eupedia.

Then again, Eupedia also states that my type of R1b is of an ancient Celtic stock, which contradicts my matches with people who are "Germanic".

Then SNPedia states that M269 is Mesolithic Western European, and Doggerland was a Mesolithic Northwestern settlement. Sooooo, it's still up. M269 is found among the Frisians, who are possible Doggerland descendants, but they're M269 is further down the branch, the mutations of M269 that include M405/S21/U106. I have not tested positive for any of these, nor the Irish M222/M126/L2/S139/L21/S145/M39.

Just M269 for myself, so my group is the parent group/common ancestral group for both the Irish, Scots-Irish, Frisians, Anglo-Saxon R1b's, Alpine Celts, etc...
    Last edited by Barreldriver; 07-23-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Last Online
    05-01-2019 @ 07:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Old Stock
    Ethnicity
    New Englander
    Ancestry
    Angles & Picts
    Region
    Vermont
    Y-DNA
    R1b L21
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Taxonomy
    A-S
    Politics
    Landscape
    Religion
    Nature
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

I've only had the 12 marker test so far. Curiously, with only 12 markers, I've matched up perfectly with several Lawsons from Scotland--although this is not my surname. Some of the Lawson researchers derive their surname origins to Laurence, Abbot of Achtow in Balquhidder Scotland....which, as coincidence would have it, is only 20 or so miles from the locale in Scotland where I know my Allens to have come from.

I recently ordered an upgrade to 25 markers, so we'll see where that take me next.

And, as a lesson in that mtDNA and Y chromosome tests only tell us a very small faction of our overall genetic make up, I've been sifting through the surname database at Yseach.org for the results other people have gotten who share other surnames in my tree. I've been of course finding lots of other R1bs but also, an equal amount of folks who fall into halpogroup I. I'm lucky in that many of my lines are fairly well reseached and I've come across people (Hortons, Ingersolls, Daltons to name a few) who descend from the same branches as I and I've been able to gleen that I am likely as much an "I" as I am an 'R1b"....if any of this make sence at all.

Don't phone me after 10 pm Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo Saxon
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Politics
    UKIP
    Hero
    Ironman
    Religion
    Scrap metal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 149

0 Not allowed!

Last week i looked on the web for a test but i found it too bloody expensive, if you know of a cheaper test let me know...
    Have you noticed that if you rearrange the letters in ‘illegal immigrants’, and add just a few more letters, it spells, ‘Go home you free-loading, benefit-grabbing, resource-sucking, baby-making, non-English-speaking ********* and take those other hairy-faced, sandal-wearing, bomb-making, camel-riding, goat-f*****g raghead c***s with you.?

Last Online
    05-01-2019 @ 07:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Old Stock
    Ethnicity
    New Englander
    Ancestry
    Angles & Picts
    Region
    Vermont
    Y-DNA
    R1b L21
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Taxonomy
    A-S
    Politics
    Landscape
    Religion
    Nature
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

On another note and one which might be an example of dispelling either myths of Native Americans in the woodpile or those fanciful PC types who aren't satisfied with their own heritage and try to latch onto the groovy vibes of being a Cherokee, I have this little tale to offer:

On my father's side, I descend from some colonial Newberrys (likely from Dorset in England) who settled near by to Boston way back around 1640. There is one researcher out there that is convinced that somehow, this family was actually Wampanaog Indian. Well, as it turns out, several Y-chromosome bearing Newberry men who can trace their ancestry back to this early settling family have all come out R1b. So there you have it.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I'm a bit annoyed about the wait to receive my results from Family Tree DNA that will shed more light on my R1b1b2 background.

FTDNA states that it takes 3-5 weeks for the tests to be done, however according to my account page, my results were sent to lab on the 12 of August, and my pending results state that my first 12 markers will be ready on Sept 25th, 44 days, so the first 12 markers are going to be nearly 2 weeks later than their claim, then the other two panels (I ordered a 37 marker test), won't be ready until October 9th, so that definitely exceeds the 3-5 week claim.

So 59 days total, a bit over 8 weeks. Total bull.
    Last edited by Barreldriver; 08-18-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Last Online
    04-11-2022 @ 03:03 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    German, Italian, Irish
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Angantyr View Post
    I am probably one of the palest people on the board and yet I belong to yDNA haplogroup G2*, a Caucasian haplogroup. Sadly, you cannot guess a haplogroup by comparing phenotypes.

On the other hand, my mtDNA is U5a2c, a very typically Saami haplogroup and geographically very distantly located from the Caucasus.
    I noticed that you are Quebecois, and I know that Alans (the linguistic ancestors of the Ossetians, apparently the modern population with the highest frequency of haplogroup G2) were settled in several areas of France during the late Roman period.

As for U5a mtDNA, I suspect that it was always found in low frequencies throughout Europe, but became common among the Saami and other Uralic ethnic groups because of a founder effect. People from that haplogroup were among the folks that moved north as the ice sheets retreated.

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

1 Not allowed!

Mine is R1b, which is the most common male haplogroup in the British Isles, however my particular allele sequence is also very rare and has no sub-clade. It doesn't exist in any of the Irish records, and apparently all R1b clades do, the only other match to mine comes from the Orkney Islands.

My maternal marker is J and, again, pretty rare, with three matches from the Scottish Highlands, East Anglia and Germany.

Last Online
    05-01-2010 @ 08:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    African
    Ethnicity
    Yoruba
    Ancestry
    Savannah
    Taxonomy
    Congoid
    Politics
    Yoruban supremacy
    Religion
    trolltheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

Haven't tested myself so far. Nor do I trust much the reliability of such tests. Maybe I do it some day, out of pure curiosity.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Liffrea View Post
    Mine is R1b, which is the most common male haplogroup in the British Isles, however my particular allele sequence is also very rare and has no sub-clade.

Mine had a similar situation, I did not fit into any of the modal haplotypes for R1b, my strongest matches were from England, Scotland, and a few from Belgium, there was one Irish lineage I had a close match with. (these matches following the rule of being off by no more than 4 markers out of 37).

The closest modal I was compared to was one of Ysearch called N.Britain/Ireland haplotype, though I was not a perfect fit for it. The owner of that page pointed out the peculiarities of my haplotype, but stated it is nonetheless R1b1b2, just a very peculiar YSTR sequence, I'm hoping FTDNA can get into a deeper clade, but that will not be complete until October 9th.
    Last edited by Barreldriver; 08-21-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Page 4 of 142 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread Information