Thread: Over the Damned Mountains - Anka's survival trip from Serbia to Algiers, 1914

Last Online
    12-22-2013 @ 04:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Slavo-Illyrian Serb
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 272

0 Not allowed!

Default Over the Damned Mountains - Anka's survival trip from Serbia to Algiers, 1914

Over ‘The Damned’ mountains, 1914

This is the story of my great grandmother and a trip she took not for pleasure, but for survival.

Born in Serbia in 1894, the only daughter of a machinist, Anka Bojović was a strong-willed and independent child. She showed an affinity for teaching and finished her studies with ease. But the beginning of the 20th century was a tumultuous time. The First World War began, sparked by a swift Serbian bullet which took the life of the Archduke of Austro-Hungary. It changed her life’s course and set her on the trip of a lifetime.

When the Austro-Hungarian army retaliated against Serbia, they hit hard and the resulting occupation forced thousands to flee, along with King Peter and his troops. My grandmother was among them. Pregnant and unmarried, she joined the retreating army as a nurse and set out through Montenegro toward the mountain passes of Albania just as the cold set in. The winter in that region is harsh, so harsh in fact that half of those who tried to cross “The Damned” mountains (Prokletije) were left in the snow. Disease was rife and hunger an ever pressing concern, driving them to eat the horses that carried them. Anka was often forced to disguise herself and her growing belly, amongst the soldiers, wearing men’s clothes and stuffing her boots with newspaper to prevent frostbite.

Many weeks later, the army and refugees reached Greece and the sparkling shores of the Mediterranean sea, greeted by locals with oranges—a sight for hungry eyes. They were quickly ushered to the island of Vido, dubbed “The Blue Tomb” for the bodies of Serbs that were thrown into the sea when graves on land became scarce.

A poem “The Blue Tomb” by Milutin Bojić (my rough translation):
    “Stop, royal galleys!
    Drop your powerful masts!
    Step silently!
    I’m reciting a proud requiem
    in the shivers of the night
    above this sacred water.
    Here on the bottom,
    where sleep overcomes tired shells
    and moss gathers on lifeless algae,
    lies the cemetery of the brave,
    lies brother next to brother,
    Prometheuses of hope, apostles of misery.

Soon after, many of the survivors were shipped to other allied countries. In Anka’s case, she sailed for Algiers. They reached the French Colony just in time for her to give birth to a boy and for the soldiers to regain strength and later return to triumph at the Macedonian Front. But Anka’s joy was short lived. The baby Aleksandar (who my father is named after) lived for only 40 days and was buried at the Serbian military cemetery in Algiers.

Some time later, Anka was joined by her child’s wealthy father. It’s a subject of much debate in the family as to why he left her to fend for herself until then. They married in Algiers in 1916.

Eventually, they moved back to Serbia and Anka gave birth to a second child, my grandmother Ivanka. Not one to succumb to societal pressures, Anka ended her unhappy marriage divorcing her husband before her daughter’s first birthday. She returned to teaching to support herself and her little girl, continuing to travel from town to town and school to school, over the next 20 years.

I can only hope that her strength is hereditary, and I’m grateful to have the chance to tell her story.

Map showing Anka’s path from Serbia to Algeria

Prokletije (meaning “Damned”) mountain range, also known as the Albanian Alps (Photograph by: V. Vujisić)

Serbian army retreating in winter (Source: unknown)

Serbian soldiers in Albania - translated from French as The latest wounded from the last combats (Source: Musée des Arts Décoratifs, National Library of Serbia, digital archives)

King Peter I in the Albanian mountains (Photograph by Bettmann/Corbis)

Topolianski bridge in Albania where the Serbian army suffered many casualties. In French: Lieu oů l'équipage militaire Serbe a éprouvé des pertes(Source: National Library of Serbia, digital archives)

Anka’s Certificate of Identity (in lieu of a passport) issued in Algiers on May 6, 1916.

Anka in Algiers (Photo by Tolédano Algiers, from the Janićijević family album)

Anka as an infant with the father Radule and mother Jelena, Belgrade May 21, 1895 (Photo by Milan Jovanović, Royal court photographer. from the Janićijević family album)
    Anka's 2nd child, Ivanka (far right) with relatives in Belgrade (Photo by Ljubiša Ćonić, from the Janićijević family album)

Anka and Milivoje Simić (left) on their wedding day. Algiers, 1916. (Photo by L. Ménard & Co. from the Janićijević family album)

Serbian Infantry in new uniforms, 1914 (Source: National Library of Serbia, digital archives)

The island of Vido near Corfu, Greece

Vido dubbed as “The Blue Tomb” (Source: unknown)

Algiers harbour, Algeria, early 20th century (Source: unknown)

Banned
    Last Online
    02-08-2019 @ 07:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    troo Europian
    Ethnicity
    Latinized dark haired NE European
    Ancestry
    75% North Romania,25% South Romania
    Country
    Romania
    Region
    Sami People
    Y-DNA
    not tested yet
    mtDNA
    not tested yet
    Taxonomy
    untermenschen with ubermenschen vibe
    Politics
    Romania uber alles
    Hero
    NoHeroesForMe
    Religion
    christian orthodox
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 711
    Given: 1,731

0 Not allowed!

Those mountains are looking harsh but so beautiful.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Taxonomy