Pennsylvania Dutch
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Perhaps get a laser sight for the handgun. Start at the chest level, and zip your way up towards the head. Empty your magazine. It should work.

Many people overestimate how big of a difference 1-2 millimeter makes. It is easier to conceal many of the 9mm handguns. For some people, capacity is also an issue.(8-10 rounds versus say 15-19)
    This is the gun I carry. It holds 6+1 rounds of .45 acp. If I have to shoot at someone more than my mag capacity, maybe I should consider using a bat instead. The nice thing with my .45 is I do not need to aim for the head for effective stopping power, even for larger individuals.

IMO, there is no advantage to having a larger mag capacity for conceal carry/self-defense. More often you are better off with a good knife.

Last Online
    11-28-2018 @ 02:19 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NW Europe
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Blue Collar
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

0 Not allowed!

Most service rounds will not work quickly unless you hit the CNS, the head, or the heart.

The reason for the high capacity is that trouble frequently does not come alone, but in packs.

One could make a low capacity system work if they carried 3 or 4 extra magazines.

Knives usually look worse in court, but could be an effective backup with training.
    If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
    – James Madison
    Money Masters
    European Y DNA Haplogroups
    US Debt
    http://www.zasucks.com/?p=6151
    War Is A Racket

Man, husband, cat keeper, brewer, cook, writer... Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-20-2023 @ 06:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pan-European
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    US: Canada (Mohawk, Huron and Cree) Lithuania Belarus Ukraine Moldova Germany Denmark England Wales
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Maryland
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1c1
    mtDNA
    H5
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranid between Atlantomediterranid and Gracilmediterranid with Cromagno-Alpinoid.
    Politics
    Now a center feather on the right shoulder, not on a wing, but being pushed there.
    Hero
    My Dad, Mom and Wife
    Religion
    American Heathen
    Relationship Status
    Married since June 1982
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 28

0 Not allowed!

Shooting center of mass is best...but to defeat body armor on a perp, the inner thigh; femoral artery. I haven't seen too many civilians cover this, vast majority think of torso, groin and head.

Similar principle for riot baton; center of mass (solar plexus) and then the back or side of the knee instead of the head and shoulders.

Idea either way is to make sure the trouble maker is the one on the ground and not you.

Pip
    Last edited by Piparskeggr; 08-16-2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: format

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Most service rounds will not work quickly unless you hit the CNS, the head, or the heart.
    The center mass is the desired target. It's easiest to hit and with a good round will disable anyone.

The reason for the high capacity is that trouble frequently does not come alone, but in packs.
    This is where you make an example of one of them, even with a gun you still need to retreat and never turn your back. People are hesitant to attack someone brandishing a gun.

One could make a low capacity system work if they carried 3 or 4 extra magazines.
    Again, if I need to shoot three or four magazines, then I think I'd be a bit over my head at that point. After shooting my first magazine I would have retreated if the threat was still real.

Knives usually look worse in court, but could be an effective backup with training.
    In a close range confrontation I would opt for my knife before my gun. My gun is a visual deterrent and effective stopping tool. It does me no good if, within a close range struggle, I can not draw it and bring it up quickly enough to be effective. My knife can be taken out much quicker and can be used to buy time to draw my gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

A common test of handgun skill was to start with one’s hands at shoulder level with a holstered gun and place two shots on a target 7 yards (6.4 m) away within 1.5 seconds. Typically, those trained with handguns can complete the drill in 1.3–1.4 seconds, although some have managed the task in less than one second.

Tueller wondered how quickly an attacker with a knife could cover those same 21 feet (6.4 m). So he measured as volunteers raced to stab the target. He determined that it could be done in 1.5 seconds. These results were first published as an article in SWAT magazine in 1983 and in a police training video by the same title, “How Close is Too Close?”

A defender with a gun has a dilemma. If he shoots too early, he risks being charged with murder. If he waits until the attacker is definitely within striking range so there is no question about motives, he risks injury and even death. The Tueller experiments quantified a “danger zone” where an attacker presented a clear threat.
    We have the same idea, just different sides of the coin. up

Last Online
    11-28-2018 @ 02:19 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NW Europe
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Blue Collar
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

0 Not allowed!

The center mass is the desired target. It's easiest to hit and with a good round will disable anyone.
    There have been example of "perps" that have taken a 50 cal 12 gauge slug to the torso, and turned themselves in a week later. There were many people in Viet Nam that took multiple 50 cal FMJs to the torso, and are still walking around today. Either the round hits something such as an artery or organ, or it does not.
    I remember one comment from a LEO that people in his department didn't have to take any more backup shots on "perps" with a 12 gauge once they moved their target from center of mass, to the upper center of mass near the neck. To each their own.

This is where you make an example of one of them, even with a gun you still need to retreat and never turn your back. People are hesitant to attack someone brandishing a gun.
    It is possible that they will run away, but not necessarily.
    Example where they did not run away.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/14/ny...t.html?_r=3&hp

Again, if I need to shoot three or four magazines, then I think I'd be a bit over my head at that point. After shooting my first magazine I would have retreated if the threat was still real.
    There is an example from South America where it feels good while blasting away with a revolver, but when the gun is empty and the "bad guys" are still in pursuit, then a lump forms in the throat.

In a close range confrontation I would opt for my knife before my gun. My gun is a visual deterrent and effective stopping tool. It does me no good if, within a close range struggle, I can not draw it and bring it up quickly enough to be effective. My knife can be taken out much quicker and can be used to buy time to draw my gun.
    Some people carry "clinch picks" to aid gun retention. They should be razor sharp.

We have the same idea, just different sides of the coin.
    It is just conversation like at a gun store, while not trying to be a gun store commando.
    If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
    – James Madison
    Money Masters
    European Y DNA Haplogroups
    US Debt
    http://www.zasucks.com/?p=6151
    War Is A Racket

Individualist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-13-2019 @ 02:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian & Yankee
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway Paternal: Massachusetts
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Connecticut
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Marcus Tullius Cicero and Nikola Tesla
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,884
    Given: 1,005

0 Not allowed!

Default The Taurus "Judge" 3" Magnum

This is the pistol I have chosen for home defense. The "Judge" can fire either .45 cal. Long Colt cartridges or .410 3" shotshells, preferably loaded with either 00 or 000 buckshot. It will also accomodate 2½" shotshells, of course. Being a 5-shot revolver, it can accomodate mixed loads of Long Colt cartridges and .410 shotshells, if desired.

The 3" .410 shotshell holds either 3 #000 or 4 #00 pellets. The #00 pellet is 0.32" (8mm.) in diameter, and the #000 pellet is ~0.35" (~9mm.) in diameter. I suspect that these loads have more stopping power than a .45 Long Colt.

The Judge 3" Magnum is available with either a 3" or a 6" barrel . With the 6" barrel, it is about 13" long, which I consider very unwieldy. I bought the one with the 3" barrel. Remember that the chambers of the cylinder are 3" deep.
    Therefore, when shooting the .45 Long Colt cartridge one has an effective barrel length, counting the chamber, of nearly 5½ inches.

Of course, the important question is "How is it to shoot ?" When shooting .45 Long Colt, it must be held with both hands or God only knows what you'll hit.
    At 30 feet, I got everything within the 7-ring and two rounds within the 9-ring
    This is less a reflection on the pistol than on me. I don't claim to be a very good pistol shot.

With the 3" .410 shotshells, the recoil is fierce. At around 25 feet, I got most of the pellets inside the paper. A younger and stronger man could probably do much better. Surely, even with me at the trigger, an intruder would find the number of perforations in his epidermis most disconcerting !

Like all Taurus pistols, this one is made in Brazil. It sells for about $530.

Numinous Theurgist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    French & German
    Ancestry
    Aquitània (Maternal), Vörpommern (Paternal)
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid/Nordomediterranid + Minor Dinaroid (Agrippa)
    Politics
    Neo-Feudalist; Neu-Ordenstaat / Aristocratist
    Religion
    Esoteric Traditionalism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Svipdag View Post
    When shooting .45 Long Colt, it must be held with both hands or God only knows what you'll hit.
    Now that's my idea of Gun Control.

BTW, update:

I went with the Glock.
    "Free, do you call yourself? Then I would hear your ruling thought, and not merely that you have escaped from a yoke. Are you one of those who had the right to escape from a yoke? Many a one has cast away his last worth when he has cast away his servitude. Free from what? What does that matter to Zarathustra! But your fiery eyes should tell me: free for what?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Man, husband, cat keeper, brewer, cook, writer... Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-20-2023 @ 06:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pan-European
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    US: Canada (Mohawk, Huron and Cree) Lithuania Belarus Ukraine Moldova Germany Denmark England Wales
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Maryland
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1c1
    mtDNA
    H5
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranid between Atlantomediterranid and Gracilmediterranid with Cromagno-Alpinoid.
    Politics
    Now a center feather on the right shoulder, not on a wing, but being pushed there.
    Hero
    My Dad, Mom and Wife
    Religion
    American Heathen
    Relationship Status
    Married since June 1982
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 28

0 Not allowed!

Here's a new manufactured version of my "Old Warhorse," which was made in March, 1919. The man I bought her from carried her in combat in WW II, Korea and Viet Nam.

At pistol combat distances she still shoots tight enough that I can put 2-magazines (plus 1 in the chamber) into the 9 - 10 ring of a man-size silhouette target.

Pair it up with one of these as they take the same magazines. Unfortunately Marlin discontinued making this rifle.
    - Stefn Piparskeggr Ullarskjaldberi

Dramedy occurs when serious and silly collide

mDNA H5 - yDNA E1b1b1c
    97.9% European, 1.6% Mohawk, 0.4% Cree, 0.1% Malian
    (also, 2.4 % Neanderthal and .6% Denisovan in there)

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

The Judge for home defence? Since you're not concealing or carrying why not just have an actual shotgun and an actual .45.

Mossberg and a 1911 are the way to go for HD. The Judge would be something great to have under the seat of your car.

Individualist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-13-2019 @ 02:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian & Yankee
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway Paternal: Massachusetts
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Connecticut
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Marcus Tullius Cicero and Nikola Tesla
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,884
    Given: 1,005

0 Not allowed!

Default Choosing Gun

I have a Mossberg 500 also, but it's much more awkward to handle than the Judge. I keep it loaded with 00 buckshot: 12 pellets in a 12-gauge shotshell.
    It's downstairs in a gun rack whereas the Judge is in the nightstand by my bed.

I have a concealed carry permit and could carry the Judge if I had a holster for it. I'm hoping that Santa Claus will leave one under my tree.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information