Satan
    Religion
    without sin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,736
    Given: 8,694

0 Not allowed!

Default Bulgarian trip

My wife and I went to Bulgaria for the first time last week. We wanted to check out Golden Sands and Sunny Beach. In addition, as we dream of buying a small seaside holiday apartment at some point, we wanted to look into that. Bulgaria is supposed to mean great fun, excellent beaches, good food, cheap prices, and also good investments.

Here are some highlights from our trip:

1) At one point during the flight, I realized that someone had just been smoking in the toilet and there was a horrible smell. I kindly pointed this out to the hostess. She was extremely rude to me, and told me to mind my own business. As far as I could later gather, the responsible person was one of her colleagues.

2) We arrived in Varna airport around midnight from the UK. There were just two taxis at the airport. We took one, and we were charged 130 euros to Golden Sands. We were indeed cheated, by a driver who pretended that his meter did not work, and then added all sorts of extras for luggage, night extra, etc. We complained but he shouted and shouted, until we paid.

3) The hotel we had booked, Golden Yavor, was full. We had pre-paid it through medhotels.com, but our room was not there, due to a computer error. They were very rude to us, saying they could not help. They called a taxi for us in the end, so we could go and look for another hotel in the middle of the night.

4) Back in the UK, we saw that medhotels.com had already charged us. We complained, and they said their representative was going to find another hotel for us, and it's our fault that we did not call. I explained that at 2 am I did not feel like trying to contact them, and they may be closed too, but they still refused to refund the money. Fortunately, our credit card later intervened and refunded us.

5) On our first day, we were outside an exchange booth, queueing up to change our money ($ 300). A man approched us and asked if we wanted to change with him, he was very insistent, but we declined - as we knew the kind of tricks involved. Suddenly another man distracted us, and the first one snatched the money from my hand and ran away. I ran after him in the crowd, while a German man and a French family joined in. Meanwhile, the locals just watched, totally uncaring that a foreign tourist had just been robbed.

6) Although we did not catch the thief, we saw that he had entered a hotel, though he had presumably got out in the meantime. We talked to the hotel staff to see if they could help identify the thief, perhaps watch the video-surveillance system (which they had !), etc. They were rude, and said they could not help. We asked if they could call the police for us, and they declined. We sat in the hotel bar and ordered a soft drink, but the waiter refused to serve us without giving a reason.

7) Thanks to a British man who knew the number for the police and spoke some Bulgarian, we called the police. They came. One of them spoke a few words of English, and asked hotel staff to help with the translation. In the end they gave us a paper in Bulgarian and asked us to sign. I said I could not sign something in a language I did not understand. They said then we should go to the police station, and started to be nasty. I just signed, as I was getting quite afraid. I was being treated like I was the thief ! We asked the police if we could have some kind of report of the incident, but they said I had to find a lawyer and translator. They also declined to give me their name. As I took a pen to note down the police car's plate number, one of them said "no" and had a nasty expression on his face.

8) We tried to forget the incident and enjoy. We went to a restaurant and ordered a seafood salad. It was bad. I think even with canned ingredients, it would be hard to produce such bad food. Then a cat started to bother us, and my wife is allergic. I asked if they could move the cat away and they were rude to me.

9) On the way back home, we saw a quantity of prostitutes I had never seen anywhere else.

10) The next morning we went on a kind of sport, flyign in the sky on a kind of bit kite, while a small motor boat pulls it from the sea - I am sure there is a technical name, but I don't know it. Very nice experience. However my wife had left her purse on the beach with the boat company, and when she came the purse was there, but her mobile phone and one perfume were gone.

11) We decided suddenly to move to Sunny Beach, so we went back to the hotel and called a taxi. The hotel claimed that I had broken the television and wanted around $ 100, but I declined. While I was getting in the taxi they claimed that I had broken a window and wanted $ 20. Out of desperation, I paid.

12) We got to Sunny Beach quite late, found a hotel and went there. (This time the taxi did not cheat us, wow !)

13) After a night out as we returned to the hotel, the reception informed us that there was a mistake and we had to leave. We looked at them in disbelief. They said that people have to pay in advance. I said I had not paid because they did not ask me. So I pulled out my money and paid and the matter was solved. No big deal really, but strange attitude !

14) The next morning we were having lunch at a restaurant on the beach. A British woman who heard us speak Engish approached us crying, saying her child had been lost, and asking our help. I asked the restaurant owner if he could call the police. He said "why ?" and I explained that the woman could not find her child and was afraid he had been kidnapped. The man replied "it is not my problem".

15) The small child was later found. He had not been kidnapped, but some teenage locals were in fact talking to him in a way that the mother and us did not like. Not sure what they were trying to do, but it was strange.

16) We left the next day by taxi to Sofia, as we had enough. The driver wanted to smoke, which we refused, so he kept stopping and smoking outside. At one point he just dropped us in the middle of the road and let us to continue with a passing bus. He said he could not drive without smoking.

17) At the airport, the police watched our passports like I had never experienced before. They said my photo did not look like me, and wanted a more recent document. Fortunately I had other documents with photos.

As I want to be objective, I can tell you that we flew from Bulgaria to Athens, and we had a great time in Greece.
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...readID=1409723

Tschusch-Cefur-Shkja-Vlah Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-05-2013 @ 06:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Yugoslav
    Ethnicity
    Turbo-Serb
    Ancestry
    Herzegovina-Vasojevici-Kuci
    Country
    Austria
    Region
    Republika Srpska
    Taxonomy
    Pontid-Baltid CM
    Politics
    Sicily is Malta
    Religion
    St.Turko
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Why the f did they delete this last time? Was it a butthurt bulgarian mod?

So it goes

Last Online
    04-06-2022 @ 04:23 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    Virginia
    Politics
    Anarchism
    Hero
    Kropotkin
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,989
    Given: 3,806

0 Not allowed!

The unfortunate events of one man and his wife, doesn't describe a whole country and all of its people. 9 million tourists wouldn't have visited Bulgaria and returned if their experiences were bad.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    scumbag
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a
    Taxonomy
    North atlantid
    Hero
    Satan
    Religion
    without sin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,736
    Given: 8,694

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alb0zfinest View Post
    The unfortunate events of one man and his wife, doesn't describe a whole country and all of its people. 9 million tourists wouldn't have visited Bulgaria and returned if their experiences were bad.
    Get lost, if this was about Serbia you'd be praising it. Fucking albo hypocrites.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-16-2024 @ 09:25 PM
    South land of the Holy Spirit (Australia)
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian Slav
    Ancestry
    Lerin and Bitola region
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    mtDNA
    U4c1
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, Saint Paul, Saint Peter, Saint John, Ignatius of Antioch, Polycarp, Justin Martyr
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,437
    Given: 5,645

0 Not allowed!

I think this type of thing applies to most of the Balkans and not exclusively to Bulgaria. The people had a bad time, although you can't judge a country on the opinion of a few people alone.

Ascended into a higher realm
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,201
    Given: 58,972

0 Not allowed!

Montenegro and Greece are much better then Bulgaria. Would never dream of going to Bulgaria for vacation, the real Country of Graf Dracula.
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Last Online
    03-26-2017 @ 07:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    !
    Ethnicity
    !
    Country
    Estonia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 22

0 Not allowed!

I had my wallet stolen from my bag in Varna I didnt go to the police, I was told the Bulgarian police and completely useless and most likely working together with the criminals.

Also, Ive never experienced such slow service in restaurants in my entire life. You ask for water, they bring it after 10 minutes, you ask for the check and they bring it 15 minutes later. Not to mention peoples poor English skills.

Ascended into a higher realm
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,201
    Given: 58,972

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
    I had my wallet stolen from my bag in Varna I didnt go to the police, I was told the Bulgarian police and completely useless and most likely working together with the criminals.

Also, Ive never experienced such slow service in restaurants in my entire life. You ask for water, they bring it after 10 minutes, you ask for the check and they bring it 15 minutes later. Not to mention peoples poor English skills.
    in turkey its better, you get better service
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Tschusch-Cefur-Shkja-Vlah Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-05-2013 @ 06:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Yugoslav
    Ethnicity
    Turbo-Serb
    Ancestry
    Herzegovina-Vasojevici-Kuci
    Country
    Austria
    Region
    Republika Srpska
    Taxonomy
    Pontid-Baltid CM
    Politics
    Sicily is Malta
    Religion
    St.Turko
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Man I really wanted to go to Bulgaria this summer, looks like Turkey instead!

So it goes

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-16-2024 @ 09:25 PM
    South land of the Holy Spirit (Australia)
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian Slav
    Ancestry
    Lerin and Bitola region
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    mtDNA
    U4c1
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, Saint Paul, Saint Peter, Saint John, Ignatius of Antioch, Polycarp, Justin Martyr
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,437
    Given: 5,645

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
    Silly that you didn't report it. In the case of petty theft as you have experienced, it would be quite hard for authorities to find the person regardless of the country.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information