View Poll Results: What is the whitest Latin American country?

Voters
275. You may not vote on this poll
  • Argentina

120 43.64%
  • Bolivia

3 1.09%
  • Brazil

26 9.45%
  • Chile

29 10.55%
  • Colombia

6 2.18%
  • Costa Rica

9 3.27%
  • Cuba

12 4.36%
  • Dominican Republic

7 2.55%
  • Ecuador

2 0.73%
  • El Salvador

3 1.09%
  • Guatemala

3 1.09%
  • Haiti

15 5.45%
  • Honduras

2 0.73%
  • Mexico

11 4.00%
  • Nicaragua

4 1.45%
  • Panama

2 0.73%
  • Paraguay

8 2.91%
  • Peru

3 1.09%
  • Uruguay

172 62.55%
  • Venezuala

2 0.73%
  • Other, please specify

2 0.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 113 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1233

Thread: What is the whitest Latin American country?

Last Online
    05-29-2021 @ 08:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    7/8 Spanish, 1/16 Corsican, 1/16 Taino
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,206
    Given: 792

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by perikolez View Post
    Quitando el caso de Cuba, el resto de cifras me parecen bastante cercanas a la realidad. Quizás me chirría un poco que Colombia tenga una proporción de "blancos" ligeramente superior al de Chile, porque Chile recibió una inmigración europea superior a la de Colombia, y cuando se independizaron, yo creo que estarían a la par en cuanto a % de "blancos".
    One interesting thing is that Chile has more people who are 80%+ Euro and Colombia has more Castizos. This is probably the result of Chile receiving more recent migration.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by perikolez View Post
    Quitando el caso de Cuba, el resto de cifras me parecen bastante cercanas a la realidad. Quizás me chirría un poco que Colombia tenga una proporción de "blancos" ligeramente superior al de Chile, porque Chile recibió una inmigración europea superior a la de Colombia, y cuando se independizaron, yo creo que estarían a la par en cuanto a % de "blancos".
    Here is the full comparison of the two, using the definitions I came up with. The Euro ranges for each category are on the left. The pardo categories include anyone with over 10% African, the "mulato" category includes anyone over 40% African, and the "Black" category includes anyone over 70% African.

Daven

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdMan View Post
    I made this chart based on the ˜5000% ALtin American Gedmatch kits we have collected.

This is the percent of all kits from a country who are over 80% European, plus Castizos (people 70-80% European and under 10% African). In my opinion these two groups are likely to be seen as "white" in the context of most Latin American countries.

Keep in mind that these are Cuban Americans, and certain samples are more representative (Argentina, Puerto Rico).

Just wanted to point out that the majority of the Dominicans in those kits are low to working class people or descendants of such living in the USA. It's a different case compared to some countries in the list where the middle class is overepresented. Either way I'm not fully understanding this chart.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,690
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Purépecha View Post

Dudo que en España vaya a ser simplemente una moda pasajera. Tal como en Latinoamérica, el reggaetón llegó para quedarse.
    Ni de coooooña.
    No hay mal que cien años dure

El_Abominacion

0 Not allowed!

Here is the full comparison of the two, using the definitions I came up with. The Euro ranges for each category are on the left. The pardo categories include anyone with over 10% African, the "mulato" category includes anyone over 40% African, and the "Black" category includes anyone over 70% African.

Colombia 0% mulatto or black??

Banned
    Last Online
    10-14-2020 @ 02:43 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mexican
    Ethnicity
    Otomí
    Country
    Mexico
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 101

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Abominacion View Post
    Those averages from Gedmatch and other kits aren't useful for taking averages. The euro is overvalued and the NA and SSA are undervalued.

Last Online
    Today @ 04:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic Med
    Ethnicity
    Racial Tragedy
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Xenelasia
    Religion
    Chinas con Culo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18,482
    Given: 13,196

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by pompandy View Post
    Creo que me fuí a la chucha y la confundí con Actividad Paranormal, como sea Rec igual es bastante famosa en Perú, yo nunca he sido de películas de terror, peor cuando era niño, así que ni he visto las dos.
    Esa puede ser, no he visto ninguna pero acá rayaron.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Abominacion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Purépecha
    Those averages from Gedmatch and other kits aren't useful for taking averages. The euro is overvalued and the NA and SSA are undervalued.
    Well these samples are from GEDmatch, so it might over represent certain regions and social classes. I still think its a decent point of comparison because the same biases (skewed towards big cities and middle class people) are present in both the Colombian and Chilean samples. In any event, I think it's certainly more accurate than randomly guessing

Another thing to keep in mind is that these are categories I made based on genetics - there are many people who might look or be identified socially as something different than what I labelled the category. Most Colombians you would consider "mulato" are probably in my "Pardo" category because they have significant Amerindian ancestry as well.

Similarly, the average self-identified black person in Puerto Rico is ˜45% African and also has significant Amerindian ancestry. So most of them are in my Pardo or mulato genetic categories. The same applies to most Black Brazilians, at least based ont he studies I've seen.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

To build on my point about Colombia, here is a chart from the first nationwide study I found.

415 samples, "conducted in six Colombian cities from the Andean (Bogotá and Bucaramanga) and Coastal regions (Cartagena, Santa Marta and Barranquilla in the Caribbean and Cali in the Pacific)"

source: https://www.nature.com/articles/srep...genetics#Sec18

Red is European, Green is Native, Blue is African.

Now lets see how it compares to our sample using the categories I set.

People over 70%+ African (my black category) were about 1.5% of that sample. Not too different from our gedmatch kits.

If we zoom to the people 40-60% European, this is what the chart looks like:

The top line shows 10% African. About half of the 40-60% Euro people are in this category (my mestizo category).
    The bottom pink line shows 40% African. More or less the remainder of the 40-60% Euro people are in this category (my pardo category)
    Only 3 of the 40-60% Euro people are more than 40% African (my mulato category). Out of 415 samples. That's under 1% of the sample.

It seems like people who are truly "mulatos" or "black" in a genetic sense are quite rare there. I'm not saying there aren't people who are perceived socially as belonging to those groups or who self-identify that way. I'm just saying that if we're speaking from a genetic perspective that is the reality. And it makes sense due to the hundreds of years of mixing in Latin America. People who are highly African and highly Euro, with very low Native mixture are bound to be rare in Colombia.

Obviously people's self identities and social identities are more important than their genetics, but I like genetics because you can do "objective comparisons" and it's far more valuable than someone random giving their subjective opinion of what people look like.

Daven

0 Not allowed!

Well these samples are from GEDmatch, so it might over represent certain regions and social classes. I still think its a decent point of comparison because the same biases (skewed towards big cities and middle class people) are present in both the Colombian and Chilean samples. In any event, I think it's certainly more accurate than randomly guessing

Another thing to keep in mind is that these are categories I made based on genetics - there are many people who might look or be identified socially as something different than what I labelled the category. Most Colombians you would consider "mulato" are probably in my "Pardo" category because they have significant Amerindian ancestry as well.

Similarly, the average self-identified black person in Puerto Rico is ˜45% African and also has significant Amerindian ancestry. So most of them are in my Pardo or mulato genetic categories. The same applies to most Black Brazilians, at least based ont he studies I've seen.
    3% sounds more like the amount of Dominican-Americans that look fully med/Iberian here in the USA. But then you said "white" in the Latin American sense? This is the part that confuses me. Especially when I see the percentages for certain countries on that graph.

The sample for us is skewed because castizo Dominicans are simply rare. People will often score a few points more of SSA over the amerindian.

Page 113 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123 ... LastLast

Thread Information