Thread: The NES games appreciation thread!

Banned
    Last Online
    10-22-2020 @ 10:01 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Other
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 119

0 Not allowed!

Default The NES games appreciation thread!

I don't know about you guys, but my entire childhood was one big ride with these fantastic games!

Some of my favorites :
    1.Contra

By Konami | Released: 1988

Perhaps the best example of the NES's capability at adapting and even improving on arcade games of its era, Contra offers the best shooting action on the NES and is also the console's definitive multiplayer experience. Contra deftly captures the spirit of the testosterone-fueled '80s summer blockbusters, with obvious nods to the Alien and Rambo series. Alternating both horizontal and vertical scrolling levels with cool 3D-imitating third-person view stages, Contra was designed with short attention spans in mind. Although the game offers a fairly decent challenge, the experience of kicking serious alien ass can be had by less talented players, thanks to the legendary Konami Code, which, in its most famous implementation, gives you 30 lives to burn through as you please. And if you somehow run out of those, you can always steal one from your unsuspecting partner. Any discussion of Contra wouldn't be complete without a nod to its iconic 8-bit soundtrack. After a few minutes with Contra's militant anthems you'll want to put your controller down and headbang along.
    Our Fondest Memories

I'd always have the 30 man code active in the beginning, but eventually stopped using it as I got better over the years. Still, dying needlessly was satisfying. If you have 120 lives, killing yourself was fun.

2. Duck Hunt

By Nintendo | Released: 1985
    What Top 100 NES Games list would be complete without Duck Hunt? A game no one bought, but everyone had. Duck Hunt is the game that immortalized forever Nintendo's light gun called the Zapper, and was certainly the game that used the underused peripheral more than any other. But it was this release combined with Super Mario Bros. (and sometimes World Class Track Meet or Gyromite) as a bundled-in offering with the NES made it one of the most proliferated games on the console. Sure, Duck Hunt's gameplay was as simple as pointing-and-shooting, and one could easily cheat by standing an inch from the television. Unfortunately, virtually all televisions today render the game unplayable, so a new generation of gamer has yet to be exposed to the wonder of duck hunting and skeet shooting. Perhaps the most interesting tidbit of all about Duck Hunt, however, was the stand-alone product's incredibly small size. The entire game fit on an infinitesimally small cartridge sized at 192 kilobits.
    Our Fondest Memories

Even as a young'un, I felt some injustice every time a guest brought the Zapper up against the television's bubble screen. You can't do that! Though the dog, mocking me with laughter, encouraged delinquency. I'll show you, dog...

3. Duck Tales
    By Capcom | Released: 1989

Out of all of the games built on Capcom's famous Mega Man architecture (that wasn't a Mega Man game, that is), Duck Tales is perhaps the best of the bunch. With Mega Man veterans like Keiji Inafune and Yoshihiro Sakaguchi getting the most out of the technology, Duck Tales proved to be an amazing game in its own right. Sure, it borrowed from Mega Man apart from the engine – selecting stage orders, for instance – but standing on its own, Duck Tales is one of the must-have games in any NES aficionado's library. The gameplay is of the classic action-platforming variety. Gamers take the role of Scrooge McDuck, who goes through various stages to collect wealth, defeating enemies with his pogo stick attack. When one stage is cleared, Scrooge can pick from any of the remaining stages to undertake his next quest. When the game culminates on the sixth and final stage, Scrooge is a force to be reckoned with. And if the gamer managed to finish with $10 million in funds and has two special hidden treasures, a unique ending can be unlocked, as well.
    Our Fondest Memories

DuckTales was probably my favorite show on television when the game hit, yet I could hardly sit through an entire after-school episode before powering on my NES to play it. Most memorable of all is Tales' peerless soundtrack, particularly the tunes for Transylvania, African Mines, and the Moon. It should come as no surprise that the man behind the rock is Yoshihiro Sakaguchi, a composer that worked on the Mega Man series, also distinguished for its 8-bit anthems.

4. Legend of Zelda
    Embark on a quest to find the Triforce, slay Ganon and save Princess Zelda in the timeless adventure game from Shigeru Miyamoto that invented the genre. Originally released for the Famicom Disk System in Japan, the game arrived in the US on cartridge in 1987. In an ingenious marketing ploy, Nintendo released the game on a gold cartridge, so if you hadn't heard about the glory of Zelda, the shiny cart would definitely catch your attention. And since Zelda originated on the Disk System, the US version also included the ability to save your game status via battery back-up -- a first for the NES. The game's release heralded the end of the days when console games were all about linear quests and never-ending twitch gameplay with small level variations or increasing speed settings.
    Release Date: July 1987
    Genre: Action
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Developer: Nintendo R&D4

Last Online
    04-07-2013 @ 07:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Barbarian
    Ethnicity
    Türk
    Ancestry
    Ottomans
    Country
    Turkey
    Region
    Bedfordshire
    mtDNA
    H29
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine + possible East Med and Turanid influences
    Religion
    Islam / Sunni Muslim
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Tetris and street fight
    Quote Originally Posted by Pallantides View Post
    East Alpine
    Quote Originally Posted by exceeder View Post
    Either way, Alpino-East Meditteranid is predominant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solin View Post
    Alpine with minor East Med. I would agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrhbosnian Vanguard View Post
    You are an East Alpinid, with a liberal splish splash of Turkic blood
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospodine View Post
    Pyknomorphic Eastern Alpine with Turanid influence

"Men don't protect You anymore" Kalitas's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 05:18 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latino
    Ethnicity
    Who knows?
    Ancestry
    El Pueblo
    Taxonomy
    Cabecita Negra
    Politics
    Peronismo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 162

0 Not allowed!

Oh the memories! Nothing can top those 8 bit midi sounds
    I used to spend a lot of hours having fun with the old 'n bloody NES

These were among my favorite games
    Jurassic Park

Mario Pizza Pop!

TMNT III

Excite-bike
    "Guard your Thoughts. You never know who might wish to take them from You"

ain'T goT no how waTchamacalliT

Last Online
    02-07-2013 @ 10:00 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    romance
    Ethnicity
    natural beauty
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

This is a crawl video game a player control Oz and a young man that has a power of a magic eye and capable of sealing demons and this game also has a split between venturing into dungeons and spending time at the inn where players can build a good relationship.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-15-2013 @ 12:21 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47

0 Not allowed!

Street Fighter and Punch Out were my favorite games. I still play them with an emulator

Thread Information