View Poll Results: Are you pro or anti-NATO?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • My native country is a NATO country and I'm against NATO

74 45.12%
  • My native country is not a NATO country and I'm against NATO

32 19.51%
  • My native country is a NATO country and I'm pro-NATO

29 17.68%
  • My native country is not NATO country and I'm pro-NATO

16 9.76%
  • My native country is a NATO country and I dont have a particular opinion about it

10 6.10%
  • My native country is not NATO country and I dont have a particular opinion about it

3 1.83%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro-Nato or Against-Nato?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Stefan; "meta-ethnicity" is a spook and I don't mean the slur.
    Ethnicity
    Stefan; "ethnicity" is a spook and I don't mean the slur.
    Ancestry
    Britain, Germany, Iberia, France, West Africa, Carribean natives, etc, etc.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U4b1b
    Taxonomy
    Pseudoscience
    Politics
    Individualist Anarchist - influenced by Tucker/Stirner/Proudhon/Warren
    Religion
    Agnostic athiest
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 728
    Given: 118

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Illyrian View Post
    U.S. is the largest consumer of oil in the world. In long-term needs USA necessarily will depend on the oil of Middle East. A mere thirty years ago, 28% of the oil consumed in the United States was imported. Today nearly 60% of the oil utilized and consumed in the United States is imported from other countries.

The United States consumed a total of 6.87 billion barrels (18.83 million barrels per day) in 2011.

The largest reserves of oil in the world:

Middle East - 727 billion barrels
    Central and South America - 99 billion barrels
    Africa - 87 billion barrels
    Nations of the former Soviet Union - 78 billion barrels
    Western Europe and China - 18 billion barrels
    Mexico - 16 billion barrels
    India - 5 billion barrels

U.S. has no reason to feel comfortable regarding the fulfillment of its oil needs.
    In the long-term we better not be thinking about oil. It's far too devastating on the environment, and it's still limited. However; you might just be right that most will go that way, unfortunately.

I am aware about the concerns of American taxpayers, but I also think that the existence of NATO is in the good of your country and nation.
    Strength of its influence in the world is vital for your existence.

I also think that U.S. foreign policy is the same, regardless of who is president.
    Not necessarily. We have 270 million guns in our country, the most powerful military in the world with the most money in it, and various militias. It's good for the government though, yeah. Unfortunately the government has not always been working ,or at least hasn't in 100 years, in the best interest of the people. I am a noninterventionalist, but also believe that permanent treaties conflict with the sovereignty of the people and their ability to allocate power. Hence, it is an external conflict which damages the internal dynamics of our country at the expense of helping other countries and enabling their own complacency. If we were to cut NATO it would essentially force the EU constituents to actually put money into their militaries at the expense of their own people. Why is it the job of the United States to secure this oil and to fight these wars? No thank you! We have internal matters to think about.

'Tis our true policy to steer clear of permanent Alliances, with any portion of the foreign world.

George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796
    Last edited by Stefan; 12-28-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Last Online
    11-02-2023 @ 10:27 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    illyrian
    Ethnicity
    albanian
    Ancestry
    Dardania
    Country
    Kosovo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    In the long-term we better not be thinking about oil. It's far too devastating on the environment, and it's still limited. However; you might just be right that most will go that way, unfortunately.
    In the future the needs for oil will be even greater. As long as greater oil resources are in the Middle East, the eyes of the customers will be concentrated there. Sometimes arrangements with those countries are made with the understanding and mutual economic interest, and sometimes through violence. This is the reason of the current existence of NATO.

Let's be clear in one thing. I am taking oil as an example.
    Sometimes aims are opium, uranium, diamonds, etc.

Not necessarily. We have 270 million guns in our country, the most powerful military in the world with the most money in it, and various militias. It's good for the government though, yeah. Unfortunately the government has not always been working ,or at least hasn't in 100 years, in the best interest of the people. I am a noninterventionalist, but also believe that permanent treaties conflict with the sovereignty of the people and their ability to allocate power.
    Hence, it is an external conflict which damages the internal dynamics of our country at the expense of helping other countries and enabling their own complacency. If we were to cut NATO it would essentially force the EU constituents to actually put money into their militaries at the expense of their own people. Why is it the job of the United States to secure this oil and to fight these wars? No thank you! We have internal matters to think about.
    NATO is financed based on the participation of its members. All members of NATO share a certain % of GDP proportionally. U.S. pays more, since its GDP is higher, but this does not mean that other countries remain at the expense of the U.S.

The way you have understood the role of NATO and its interventions in different countries is much different from the way how an European citizen understands that. Usually they are Europeans who oppose the idea to follow each U.S. initiative, when it comes to the military interventions. Not the opposite.
    There are cases when European countries have not shown interest to participate in any mission/war, and in some other cases, certain European countries have left in the half of the mission. This is because they think that the US is exploiting them through NATO.

Regarding the internal problems of U.S.
    I think that the withdrawal of your country from the current position (military presence in different countries of the world) would cause more/and grater internal problems in U.S. than any other problem.
    We can discuss this more widely.

Benevolent Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-17-2018 @ 02:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Pan-Germania and Spanish Gypsies (Gitanos)
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    sub-nordic
    Politics
    Co-operative Economics, Direct Democracy
    Hero
    The Absolute
    Religion
    Advaita Vedānta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,469
    Given: 8,126

1 Not allowed!

NATO perpetuates the endless Orwellian war of the rich against the poor, and so support for this supranational body, which is surely the military expression of the policies of other entities such as the World Trade Organisation, implies a lack of social conscience in addition to a disregard for national sovereignty.

NATO = Bending Over
    Last edited by Fortis in Arduis; 12-30-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Lettuce, Gruyere, Bacon and Tomato Pride, WorldWide!!

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U4b1b
    Taxonomy
    Pseudoscience
    Politics
    Religion
    Agnostic athiest
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

In the future the needs for oil will be even greater. As long as greater oil resources are in the Middle East, the eyes of the customers will be concentrated there. Sometimes arrangements with those countries are made with the understanding and mutual economic interest, and sometimes through violence. This is the reason of the current existence of NATO.

Let's be clear in one thing. I am taking oil as an example.
    Sometimes aims are opium, uranium, diamonds, etc.
    My point was that even these reserves are limited. We need to look at other options than fossil fuels.

NATO is financed based on the participation of its members. All members of NATO share a certain % of GDP proportionally. U.S. pays more, since its GDP is higher, but this does not mean that other countries remain at the expense of the U.S.

The way you have understood the role of NATO and its interventions in different countries is much different from the way how an European citizen understands that. Usually they are Europeans who oppose the idea to follow each U.S. initiative, when it comes to the military interventions. Not the opposite.
    There are cases when European countries have not shown interest to participate in any mission/war, and in some other cases, certain European countries have left in the half of the mission. This is because they think that the US is exploiting them through NATO.

Regarding the internal problems of U.S.
    I think that the withdrawal of your country from the current position (military presence in different countries of the world) would cause more/and grater internal problems in U.S. than any other problem.
    We can discuss this more widely.
    The issue is, by having NATO we [Americans] have an obligation to protect these Europeans. Europeans are by far more vulnerable than Americans. Furthermore, NATO enables my government to utilize it as an excuse to not derive its power from the people of the United States. No matter how you put it, it's parasitical to expect Americans to put in the only effort to maintain these resources, when the largest consumers of these resources are Europeans and Asians. And no, the internal problems of the U.S would be immensely better if we didn't spend as much on the military as we do and our government didn't have a means to crush our individual rights in the name of "terrorism." Of course, it would be devastating for Europe if the U.S left.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-08-2019 @ 07:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    troo Europian
    Ethnicity
    Latinized dark haired NE European
    Ancestry
    75% North Romania,25% South Romania
    Country
    Romania
    Region
    Sami People
    Y-DNA
    not tested yet
    mtDNA
    not tested yet
    Taxonomy
    untermenschen with ubermenschen vibe
    Politics
    Romania uber alles
    Hero
    NoHeroesForMe
    Religion
    christian orthodox
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 711
    Given: 1,731

0 Not allowed!

Lol how people voted here is really comforting my heart.

Last Online
    11-02-2023 @ 10:27 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    illyrian
    Ethnicity
    albanian
    Ancestry
    Dardania
    Country
    Kosovo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    My point was that even these reserves are limited. We need to look at other options than fossil fuels.
    This is how we wish to be. The reality is that fossil oil can not be substituted for a very long time.

The issue is, by having NATO we [Americans] have an obligation to protect these Europeans. Europeans are by far more vulnerable than Americans. Furthermore, NATO enables my government to utilize it as an excuse to not derive its power from the people of the United States. No matter how you put it, it's parasitical to expect Americans to put in the only effort to maintain these resources, when the largest consumers of these resources are Europeans and Asians. And no, the internal problems of the U.S would be immensely better if we didn't spend as much on the military as we do and our government didn't have a means to crush our individual rights in the name of "terrorism." Of course, it would be devastating for Europe if the U.S left.
    We are talking about Europe and USA, not Asia. Except Turkey, which is Eurasian country, there's not any other Asian country in NATO. And if we talk about consumption, not Europe but the U.S. is the largest consumer in the world -
    United States 19,150,000 bbl/day
    European Union 13,680,000 bbl/day

Stefan, after the end of the Cold War, the external threat for Europe is significantly lower. I think the last ten years of military interventions have not occurred because of any external threat against Europe, but due to the removal of dictatorships on some countries.

Removal of dictatorships was necessary because they were more likely to cooperate with Russia and China than with U.S. or EU.

Regarding expenses, the U.S. has different ways to cover the costs of military missions. U.S. is the biggest arms exporter of the world with 30%. Russia is second with 24%.

In case of withdrawal or changes in foreign policy, the U.S. will lose the primacy in arms export.
    Thanks to 'Arab Spring', the U.S. has achieved to get some new customers. Before the intervention, they were Russia's traditional customers
    So, the enemies have become consumer.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U4b1b
    Taxonomy
    Pseudoscience
    Politics
    Religion
    Agnostic athiest
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

This is how we wish to be. The reality is that fossil oil can not be substituted for a very long time.

We are talking about Europe and USA, not Asia. Except Turkey, which is Eurasian country, there's not any other Asian country in NATO. And if we talk about consumption, not Europe but the U.S. is the largest consumer in the world -
    United States 19,150,000 bbl/day
    European Union 13,680,000 bbl/day
    Europe (along with Asian countries) benefit more from oil that is in the Middle East, was my point. The United States does not.

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/11/150444...y-be-surprised

Only 12.9% of U.S oil comes from the Persian Gulf.

Meanwhile the top buyers of say, Iran's oil, include Italy, Spain, Greece and France, but no United States.

http://www.kippreport.com/2012/01/to...-of-irans-oil/

Furthermore, while we're the top consumer we're also the top producer of oil, besting Saudi Arabia. Europe is dependent on the Middle East and Russia to offer oil. The U.S has 88% of its oil gained elsewhere and we have a lot of potential to cut back.

If we went to war with Iran who would it be for? Certainly not Americans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/wo...ions.html?_r=0

Stefan, after the end of the Cold War, the external threat for Europe is significantly lower. I think the last ten years of military interventions have not occurred because of any external threat against Europe, but due to the removal of dictatorships on some countries.
    Then what's the point of NATO?

Removal of dictatorships was necessary because they were more likely to cooperate with Russia and China than with U.S. or EU.
    Why must we {Americans} be enemies of Russia and China? They can do their stuff and we can do our own. They're nowhere near as bad as they were, and like I said we just can't afford these military activities as a population anymore. I'm not even worried about it. As soon as these countries become totalitarian they always collapse internally. It happened during the cold war, and they've learned their lesson.

Regarding expenses, the U.S. has different ways to cover the costs of military missions. U.S. is the biggest arms exporter of the world with 30%. Russia is second with 24%.

In case of withdrawal or changes in foreign policy, the U.S. will lose the primacy in arms export.
    Why is that? We'll still be economically active. Russia sells weapons fine without the need to inhabit other countries, so can we. And costs are much more than just money. There are causalities and emotional damage as well.

Thanks to 'Arab Spring', the U.S. has achieved to get some new customers. Before the intervention, they were Russia's traditional customers
    So, the enemies have become consumer.
    Yes, this is good for the government, but bad for the people. Our economy is 80% a service economy and much (if not the the vast majority) of the weapons produce go to Americans. We'll survive any lost potential costumers, but we wouldn't survive a Permanent War Economy.

Just so you get an idea how much we spend on our military, AND we're in debt.

Now let's compare this with Britain, which is the most likely European country to have a larger military.

Now imagine if we cut the budget and we started to make our economy more independent, akin to the American school of economics. We'd be able to sustain ourselves and we'd be on the path to greatness as we were. When we rely on war, there's no good out of it. The infrastructure of the U.S is decaying while the government puts more and more money into war and weapons research. How is that a good thing for Americans?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Divine Nerdic superiority
    Ethnicity
    Northsea Germanic
    Ancestry
    Chauk
    Country
    Netherlands
    Taxonomy
    Nordid with borrbey
    Politics
    Me
    Religion
    Wisdom and perfecting myself
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,537
    Given: 3,021

0 Not allowed!

tbh, fuckem!
    Germany should rule this world alone

Last Online
    08-22-2015 @ 08:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Slavic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Swiss-German, Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Anti America, Anti Islam, Anti EU, Sovereign democracy, Globalism, Russian Patriotism
    Religion
    Russia
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,683
    Given: 4,085

0 Not allowed!

Yeah, in football and Eurovision.
    youre not even a country and you never will so forget about eu or anything europe lol

Banned
    Last Online
    05-08-2020 @ 02:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slav
    Ethnicity
    Yugoslavian
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b (M423)
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med with Dinarid influence
    Politics
    Whatever you want, I'm against it
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 693
    Given: 850

1 Not allowed!

The UN and NATO need to be dismantled along with the the EU.

Basically all globalist, supra-national, power centralizing entities should take a friggin' hike because we've tried an entire century of it their way and all it got us was narrowly avoiding an all-out nuclear war on about a dozen occasions.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information