n/a
    Taxonomy
    60% Borreby with strong 40% Keltic Nordid admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,183
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    For whatever reason, "black Irish" types in my experience tend to be strongest around the Clare/Cork/Limerick/Tipperary area (southwest).
    This is what was based according to stereotypes. However it is not true at all. The Southwest is actually quite "Brunn" so to speak. Apparently, the bulk of the greatest source of Irish immigrants to America were from this part of Ireland. You know, people fleeing potato famine, British colonialism, etc...
    It was from them, that the America got the "redhead" phenotype for Irish people and if anyone of Irish descent had very dark hair,non-blue or non-green eyes, non-pale skin, they were classed as the "Black Irish". Many Irish women from these parts were said to be redheads. Ireland anyway is quite homogenous, there aren't great regional differences as you would encounter in the larger neighboring island ( Great Britain). Munster ( South West Ireland) is about as blue-eyed as Denmark and has the second highest frequency of red hair gene carriers in the British Isles. Now that could explain why the redhead stereotype came about.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-24-2018 @ 05:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Religion
    Roman Catholicism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 283

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Gillian Norris is probably the best example.She's quite sexy. An Irish American dude told me his sister had similar facial features to her.
    She looks very exotic

Last Online
    04-05-2024 @ 04:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Padanian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Lombardy
    Taxonomy
    Alpine-Med + Dinarid
    Politics
    Padanian nationalism
    Hero
    Matteo Salvini
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 43

0 Not allowed!

Very interesting. I don't know almost any famous people of full-Irish descent that fits this "Black Irish" description besides Colin Pharrell (a very good-looking guy, by the way). He also looks very spaniard imo.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    100% Northwest European and Flemish
    Ancestry
    From Flanders ( Koninkjrik België )
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    60% Borreby with strong 40% Keltic Nordid admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,183
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SKYNET View Post
    Black Irish is a term synonymous with a dark-haired phenotype exhibited by certain individuals native to or descended from Ireland. Opinions vary in regard to what is perceived as the usual physical characteristics of the so-called Black Irish: e.g., dark hair, brown eyes and medium skin tone; or dark hair, blue or green eyes and fair skin tone. Unbeknown to some who have used this term at one time or another, dark hair in people of Irish descent is common, although darker skin complexions appear less frequently.

Early 21st century genetic studies have provided new insights into the origins of Irish and British people. Correspondingly, researchers in the field have suggested that migrations from Prehistoric Iberia (Spain, Portugal and also the Basque region) can be viewed as the primary source for their genetic material, having demonstrated marked similarities with modern representatives of the aforementioned time period in that of the Basque people. However, the majority of Irish males fall under the R1b sub-clade L-21, which is quite rare for Basques

ATTENTION!

NO

YES

Easy, nothing complicated. The so-called “Black Irish” are those Irish who are perceived to be darker-haired and darker-eyed, darker-complected than the average Irish population. The average adult Irish people are said to be pale or very fair-skinned, often freckled with usually red or brown or blond hair and blue or light eyes ( over 80% ). Those Irish who are darker than that may be called “Black Irish” depending on the people. In physical anthropology, about 89% of the Irish populace fit within the Brunn + Keltic Nordid + North Atlantid + Borreby phenotypes. So those individuals who fit within darker types such as the Paleo Atlantid or Strandid or Atlantid are called “Black Irish”.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,480
    Given: 28,940

0 Not allowed!

This is an interesting topic and I never heard of this term used by actual Irish people. It appears to be a wholly American invention. My parents and grandmothers for instance never heard of this term and an archaeologist who was of Irish/Scottish origin who lives in Ireland also said this term had an American origin. Why would Irish use the term Black Irish? It doesn't make any sense. In Ireland people were all white Europeans all through history. Why would Irish call someone with dark hair and even a darker complexion Black Irish? My grandmother used to call a darker complexion sallow. In an Irish family you can get blond and blue eyed siblings and also have some that are dark haired, brown eyed and darker skin tone or redheads with brunet siblings etc. I have family like this so why would Irish single out people with darker hair and eyes?

In an American context I always thought Black Irish was connected to Black Dutch and was used to hide non-white ancestry. Regarding the Spanish Armada stuff this has been debunked by genetic studies. Anyway why don't they use this in places like Wales, England or Scotland? I've never heard the term Black English for darker English people.

This is what geneticists say about the Spanish Armada and also about Celts in regards to the British and Irish.

Farther north, the Irish Book of Invasions, written by an anonymous author in the 11th century, recounts that the “Sons of Míl Espáine … after many wanderings in Scythia and Egypt” eventually reached Spain and Ireland, creating a modern Irish people distinct from the British—and linked to the Spanish. That telling resonates with a later yarn about ships from the Spanish Armada, wrecked on the shores of Ireland and the Scottish Orkney Islands in 1588, Bradley says: “Good-looking, dark-haired Spaniards washed ashore” and had children with Gaelic and Orkney Islands women, creating a strain of Black Irish with dark hair, eyes, and skin.

Although it's a great story, Bradley says, it “just didn't happen.” In two studies, researchers have found only “a very small ancient Spanish contribution” to British and Irish DNA, says human geneticist Walter Bodmer of the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom, co-leader of a landmark 2015 study of British genetics.

The Irish also cherish another origin story, of the Celtic roots they are said to share with the Scots and Welsh. In the Celtic Revival of the 19th and 20th centuries, writers such as William Butler Yeats drew from stories in the Book of Invasions and medieval texts. Those writings described a migration of Gaels, or groups of Celts from the mainland who clung to their identity in the face of later waves of Roman, Germanic, and Nordic peoples.

But try as they might, researchers so far haven't found anyone, living or dead, with a distinct Celtic genome. The ancient Celts got their name from Greeks who used “Celt” as a label for barbarian outsiders—the diverse Celtic-speaking tribes who, starting in the late Bronze Age, occupied territory from Portugal to Turkey. “It's a hard question who the Celts are,” says population geneticist Stephan Schiffels of the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History in Jena, Germany.

Bodmer's team traced the ancestry of 2039 people whose families have lived in the same parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales since the 19th century. These people form at least nine genetic and geographic clusters, showing that after their ancestors arrived in those regions, they put down roots and married their neighbors. But the clusters themselves are of diverse origin, with close ties to people now in Germany, Belgium, and France. “‘Celtic’ is a cultural definition,” Bodmer says. “It has nothing to do with hordes of people coming from somewhere else and replacing people.”
    https://www.science.org/doi/full/10....e.356.6339.678

Sup? Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Of the school of Ron Jeremy
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,867
    Given: 12,732

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    This is an interesting topic and I never heard of this term used by actual Irish people. It appears to be a wholly American invention. My parents and grandmothers for instance never heard of this term and an archaeologist who was of Irish/Scottish origin who lives in Ireland also said this term had an American origin. Why would Irish use the term Black Irish? It doesn't make any sense. In Ireland people were all white Europeans all through history. Why would Irish call someone with dark hair and even a darker complexion Black Irish? My grandmother used to call a darker complexion sallow. In an Irish family you can get blond and blue eyed siblings and also have some that are dark haired, brown eyed and darker skin tone or redheads with brunet siblings etc. I have family like this so why would Irish single out people with darker hair and eyes?

In an American context I always thought Black Irish was connected to Black Dutch and was used to hide non-white ancestry. Regarding the Spanish Armada stuff this has been debunked by genetic studies. Anyway why don't they use this in places like Wales, England or Scotland? I've never heard the term Black English for darker English people.

This is what geneticists say about the Spanish Armada and also about Celts in regards to the British and Irish.

https://www.science.org/doi/full/10....e.356.6339.678
    A mother of a 'friend' (he was a piece of shit) told me when I was at his home about the Black Irish. 'That's why my husband has black hair, ' she said. I didn't say anything but I thought it was absurd. I knew Englishmen with black hair. So how did they get their black hair?

People will believe the dumbest nonsense.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread Information