Thread: Etymological origin of Spanish words "camisa" and "almohada"?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Default Etymological origin of Spanish words "camisa" and "almohada"?

Camisa = shirt
    Almohada = pillow

Camisa comes from the Latin word camisia which means nightgown. But the Arabic word for shirt is "kameez", قميص. It is used throughout the Arabic speaking world.

How did this happen? I always assumed that since the word is of Latin origin, it came into Arabic from Spanish following the Reconquista. But how would that explain why Arabs in the Levant or the Arabian Peninsula use that as the word for shirt?

Also similar is the Arabic word for pants, بنطلون (bantalun, I think you'd transliterate it as).

Almohada obviously comes from the Almohad dynasty that came from Morocco. So why does it mean "pillow" today?

Last Online
    Today @ 04:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic Med
    Ethnicity
    Racial Tragedy
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Xenelasia
    Religion
    Chinas con Culo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18,483
    Given: 13,196

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post

Camisa comes from the Latin word camisia which means nightgown. But the Arabic word for shirt is "kameez", قميص. It is used throughout the Arabic speaking world.

How did this happen? I always assumed that since the word is of Latin origin, it came into Arabic from Spanish following the Reconquista. But how would that explain why Arabs in the Levant or the Arabian Peninsula use that as the word for shirt?

Also similar is the Arabic word for pants, بنطلون (bantalun, I think you'd transliterate it as).
    Because they didn't have a word for that and they took it from the North Africans. I had a chat about this with a Saudi classmate a long time ago. (The same with bantalun/pantalon).

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-06-2018 @ 07:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hunnic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Petrich, Ottoman Macedonia
    Country
    Turkey
    Politics
    Anti-globalist nationalism, Anti-fascist patriotism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Sikeliot, google for Arabic influence in Spanish. These two words aren't the only ones.

This is the heritage from muslim Andalusia but it is not only from Arabs but also from Jews too.

Last Online
    07-17-2022 @ 03:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Français
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Ancestry
    Français
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    Français
    Politics
    France
    Religion
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,482
    Given: 6,982

0 Not allowed!

This is interesting.

There is another very intriguing case with the popular North African Arabic word for woman, which is pronounced "mook'hair", pronounced like Sp. mujer.

It obviously originates from Latin "mulier", but this word wasn't passed to any Romance language or dialect (in France there's only femme, Italians and Catalans use donna or dona (from domina), sometimes femina), except for Spanish and Portuguese.

So, the question is: was the Maghrebi Arabic word an early borrowing from Latin that was introduced in Iberia, or was it the other way round?

BTW "mouk'hère" is derogative French slang for a Muslim woman.

My Countship is not of this world Comte Arnau's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-18-2015 @ 02:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,755
    Given: 1,407

0 Not allowed!

I always assumed that since the word is of Latin origin, it came into Arabic from Spanish following the Reconquista. But how would that explain why Arabs in the Levant or the Arabian Peninsula use that as the word for shirt?

Bantalun would hardly pass from Spanish to Arabic with the Reconquista, as the word is based on the Venetian character Pantalone, from the late 16th century.

Almohada obviously comes from the Almohad dynasty that came from Morocco. So why does it mean "pillow" today?
    It means pillow because it obviously isn't related to the Almohads. The Almohads in Arabic are Al-Muwahhidun, that is, the Unified or Monotheists. While the Spanish word almohada comes from Hispano-Arabic al-muhadda, in Classical Arabic mihaddah, which comes from hadd "cheek". So basically, where you lay your cheek. Just like the French call it oreiller, that is, where you lay your ear.

In Spanish, btw, Almohad is almohade, with an e, so it doesn't coincide with almohada, pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouistreham View Post
    It obviously originates from Latin "mulier", but this word wasn't passed to any Romance language or dialect (in France there's only femme, Italians and Catalans use donna or dona (from domina), sometimes femina), except for Spanish and Portuguese.
    We Catalans and Italians use MULIER too (muller and moglie, respectively), but for a married woman.
    < La Catalogne peut se passer de l'univers entier, et ses voisins ne peuvent se passer d'elle. > Voltaire

Couscous Nomad

0 Not allowed!

The Arabic word for trousers is Sirwal,it is a Persian loan word . Bantalun is only used in Egypt and Asia,as far as I know.
    Qamees most likely didn't come from Latin because the word is present in The Quran and has a root in Arabic.

And both ran towards the door, and the woman tore his shirt from behind, and both met the husband of thewoman near the door. She said 'what is the punishment of him who desired evil with your wife, but that heshould be imprisoned or a painful chastisement?'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12_25.gif 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	27186  

Last Online
    12-22-2013 @ 04:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Slavo-Illyrian Serb
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 272

0 Not allowed!

Etymology of pantaloon
    Derived from French pantalon, itself derived from Italian pantalone, named after San Pantalone (Saint Pantaleon). http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pantaloons#English

Camisa sounds like the French word Chemise. The origin is Celtic.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,690
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Onur View Post
    Sikeliot, google for Arabic influence in Spanish. These two words aren't the only ones.

This is the heritage from muslim Andalusia but it is not only from Arabs but also from Jews too.
    The word "Assassin" in English:

The word "Assassin" comes from Hashshashin, a Muslim group that was active in the Middle East from the 8th to the 14th centuries. This secret society killed people for political and religious reasons. It is thought that the assassins were under the influence of hashish and opium during their killings or during their training. The word assassin comes from either hashashim, the influence of the drugs, or hassansin, after their leader, Hassan-i Sabbah.

Heritage too?

Last Online
    09-26-2013 @ 08:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    none
    Country
    Kosovo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 411

0 Not allowed!

Interesting. In Portuguese "almofada" (in my experience) usually means "pillow" but it's the bigger kind that goes on sofas or the kind people decorate their beds with but don't really use. The "al" in it is evidence it could be Arab. I just looked and priberam.pt says it's Arab in origin (al-mukhaddâ). A normal pillow is "travesseira." A mattress would be "colchao"

In Portuguese "camisa" would be a shirt with collar and buttons. A generic "shirt" is "camisola." Priberam.pt says it's Latin in origin.

I find these things interesting like the pumpkin comparison "abobora" "cabaca" "calabaza" etc., from a while back.

"Pantalao" is a jackass. "Pantaloes" exists and also means "pants" but I never hear it used. Everyone I've ever heard says "calҫas" for "pants" and yet "calҫado" means "footwear" but shoes is "sapatos!"

Where's the consistency???

My brain is melting.
    Last edited by HispaniaSagrada; 05-07-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Thread Information