Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default German Jews want 'Mein Kampf' reprinted

Germany's Central Council of Jews has taken the unprecedented step of backing a proposal to republish Adolf Hitler's infamous autobiographical manifesto Mein Kampf, which has been strictly outlawed in the country since the end of the Second World War.

Although many German Jews still oppose reissuing Hitler's anti-Semitic work, Stephan Kramer, the general secretary of the country's leading Jewish organisation, supports a new scholarly edition of the work designed to inform future generations of the evils of Nazism.
    "It makes sense and is important to publish an edition of Mein Kampf with an academic commentary," Mr Kramer said. "A historically critical edition needs to be prepared today to prevent neo-Nazis profiting from it."

However the southern state of Bavaria, which holds the rights to the book, remains strongly opposed to the idea. "We won't lift the ban as it may play straight into the hands of the far right," said a spokesman for the Bavarian government. "Prohibition is highly regarded by Jewish groups and we mean to keep it that way," he said.
    Several German academics, including the historian Jürgen Faulenbach, also oppose republishing the work and insist that it does little to throw light on the Nazi era. "The book does not provide any important answers to questions about how the Nazi regime was possible," he said. "It only contains the polarising views of the author. To lift a 60 year old ban on Mein Kampf would be problematic."

Hitler wrote Mein Kampf, which means "My Struggle", in 1924 while serving a four-year term in a Bavarian prison. The book contains the Nazi leader's well-known views on racial purity, and demonstrates his hatred of communism and the Jews. It also hints at his long term plans for the Holocaust.
    During the Third Reich, the book became a household item, although few Germans managed to get through all of its turgid prose. The book was outlawed in 1945 and although it has been republished abroad several times, Bavaria has insisted that the ban be upheld in Germany ever since.

However, Bavaria's rights over the book are due to expire in 2015 and the courts have yet to determine whether German laws banning the distribution of Nazi propaganda will continue to prevent the book from ever appearing in the country.
    In an attempt to forestall any new legal ban on the book after 2015, Munich's Institute for Contemporary History applied this week for permission to reprint the work after that date. It aims to produce an edition containing scholarly footnotes challenging most of Hitler's assertions. "A scientific edition would help to dispel the peculiar myths surrounding this book," said Horst Möller, the institute's director.

The idea has also received firm backing from the British historian and acclaimed Hitler biographer Sir Ian Kershaw. "A grown up democracy like Germany does not need to fear that Hitler's damaging treatise would somehow constitute a threat to society," he said in an interview with Germany's Stern magazine. He pointed out that the internet meant that attempts to ban Mein Kampf were a waste of time.
    The internet is also one of the reasons for the new stance taken by Germany's Central Council of Jews: "It is all the more important that young people should see the critical version when they click on to Mein Kampf on the web," Mr Kramer said.
    Source

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up Good

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,945
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

Yes, good for the principle of free speech. It remains an incredibly boring book to read though -- I've tried a few times.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Just Myself Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-22-2023 @ 02:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    igneous
    Ancestry
    Lewisian gneiss
    Country
    Denmark
    Taxonomy
    Pebble
    Politics
    it's MY rock
    Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

I have managed the first half, and most of the second, but it is so badly written that it is a real struggle At least my edition does not have patronising footnotes about how awful his ideas were. It does have a few footnotes, filling in historical details that a non Austrian/German is unlikely to know.
    Cattle die, kinsmen die,
    the self must also die;
    but glory never dies,
    For the one who is able to achieve it.

Sayings of the High One.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Glad I wasn't the only one then. I got it from my local library when I was 13 for a history project; read the first few pages and got extremely bored of it all and returned to my Lone Wolf series I expect.

I'd lobby just for the book to remain out of circulation. Spare the poor children the horror of having to actually read it.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    Flanders
    Region
    Picardie
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

I agree with the above sentiment. Very badly written. Uninteresting on top of that. I gave up after a few pages.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

0 Not allowed!

Well the crux of the matter really isn't its literary merits, but censorship.

Last Online
    04-14-2011 @ 09:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Krauty
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

0 Not allowed!

I'm pleasantly surprised by this. Things didn't go quite the same when prominent members of The Tribe held sway here.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

I've read it.. twice. It was interesting in a very few areas but really rambling and self-absorbed throughout. Still, it's an important piece of literature.

Last Online
    11-15-2009 @ 08:35 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German, Danish, Irish, English
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Colorado
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

0 Not allowed!

Well, I've read the first few chapters of a translation, it's not too bad, I find it interesting, but I'm a nerd and I find things like that intriguing.

"It makes sense and is important to publish an edition of Mein Kampf with an academic commentary,"
    "Academic commentary", in other words, calculated bias.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information