Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: French sound to you like a Romance/latin language ?

taking a break. Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Lurker
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,120
    Given: 2,371

0 Not allowed!

It bothers me to hear people say that French sounds so much like Italian.

I cannot understand French very well at all. When I am with French-speaking people, they may as well be speaking Turkish or Albanian as far as I am concerned. Spanish, Catalan, Romanian, all sorts of Romance languages are easier for me to understand, both written and spoken.

Perhaps this is partially because I do not speak any Northern Italian languages, but I do not think Standard French and Standard Italian are close at all. The French spoken in Marseille and the Italian spoken in Torino, perhaps... or the French and Italian in Switzerland.
    [img]http://************.com/uploads/ignore2.jpg[/img]

Ah, per fortuna un uomo può sognare... un uomo può sognare.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    11-29-2013 @ 09:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Northern Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Lombardy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

Yes it does.
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

My Countship is not of this world Comte Arnau's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-18-2015 @ 02:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,755
    Given: 1,407

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    To me Spanish, Italian, Occitan, Catalan, and Romanian all have a general similar "Latin" sound (of course Romanian has some Slavic influence in sound but it still sounds like an odd Italian to me) and French and Portuguese are way out in left field in terms of how they sound.
    Italian and Sardinian, yes. But Castilian Spanish, while keeping the clarity of the vowels, has developed two consonant sounds that are more alien than those of French or any other Romance language (the jota and the theta), apart from dropping initial f's and merging b with v.

This is why, for instance, the words for daughter or leaf sound almost the same in all the Romance languages but Spanish.
    < La Catalogne peut se passer de l'univers entier, et ses voisins ne peuvent se passer d'elle. > Voltaire

Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 11:22 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    Northeastern Bulgarian, Southeastern Thracian Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    European, Mediteranean
    Politics
    Democratic, Proeuropean
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 569
    Given: 300

0 Not allowed!

French doesnt sound like the "core" Romance languages: Italian and Spanish. It doesnt sound like German too. I d say its in a cathegory of its own. There is quite alot of French influences on English (historically understandable): the most fucked up English words have French origin.

Last Online
    07-17-2022 @ 03:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Français
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Ancestry
    Français
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    Français
    Politics
    France
    Religion
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,482
    Given: 6,982

1 Not allowed!

IMO the most striking feature of French is the freedom of word stress, since you can emphasize at will the beginning or the end of any word.

The good side is that it gives a very rewarding sense of freedom, you can adjust the intonation of any sentence to what you want to say like you improvise a melody.

The bad sides are that French speech often sounds terribly dull and monotonous, and that the speakers tend to believe that word stress is optional also in the other languages, hence their famous habit to randomly stressing foreign words.

This being said, I think that Southern French fully qualifies for sounding typically Romance. Their ancestral Occitan dialects are virtually dead, but they speak French on their own way, with a reduced set of clearly defined vowels, all mute "e"s being pronounced (even where there aren't any), denasalized nasals, less agressive occlusives, sing-song tones that are indeed reminiscent of other Romance languages. (Except that the paroxytons, the distinction between 'parole sdrucciole' (palabras esdrujolas) and 'parole piane', which is fundamental in Romance, has been lost.)

Like they say, "we have forgotten the lyrics but we still remember the music."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Arnau View Post
    The only thing that happens with French is that erosion has gone deeeper than in the other Romance languages
    IMH the main consequence of that so-called erosion is that most common words and conjugated verbs were shrunk to single syllables, whereby the notion of word stress became irrelevant. Just compare Italian "CANtano" to French "ils chant(ent)", made of two independant monosyllables.

a word like AQUA has become O in just a few centuries, while Italians say it almost in the same way as Romans did.
    In the oldest French texts the word for "eau" was "ew(e)" (as it still is in Walloon), a diphtong that logically evolved to "e-au" and finally to the monophtong "eau", while the Occitan word was "aig(a)".

Note that Piedmontese, that underwent heavy influences from both Occitan and meainstream French, chose a mean term with "eva", while all other Italian dialects use "acqua" or "aqua".

They also changed the typical Romance trilled r for a weird guttural sound a few centuries ago, so that makes them look even more different. But apart from these things and a larger number of words coming from Frankish, French is clearly a Romance language.
    This is a recent development, with no structural effect. The uvular/pharyngal 'r' became standard in French (as well as in German and Danish) less than a hundred years ago. The substitution of the old-fashioned rolled 'r' is still in progress in peripheral areas like Quebec and the Pacific Territories for French, and parts of Bavaria and Austria as for German.

Quote Originally Posted by ioan assen View Post
    French doesnt sound like the "core" Romance languages: Italian and Spanish. It doesnt sound like German too. I d say its in a cathegory of its own.
    Agreed.

Last Online
    12-22-2013 @ 04:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Slavo-Illyrian Serb
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 272

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ouistreham View Post
    This is a recent development, with no structural effect. The uvular/pharyngal 'r' became standard in French (as well as in German and Danish) less than a hundred years ago. The substitution of the old-fashioned rolled 'r' is still in progress in peripheral areas like Quebec and the Pacific Territories for French, and parts of Bavaria and Austria as for German.
    I don't like the French R either. It actually doesn't sound like an R but like a throaty KH sound. Are you saying that this sound is changing to a rolled R in some languages?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

I actually cannot, using the example of the word "leaf", see how the Spanish word evolved from the Latin.

Latin: folium
    French: feuille
    Italian: foglia
    Portuguese: folha
    Spanish: hoja

Where did it come from? Or is it a weird evolved form?

Last Online
    05-07-2013 @ 01:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    N/A
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I actually cannot, using the example of the word "leaf", see how the Spanish word evolved from the Latin.

Legend says that spaniards couldn't pronounce the "f" sound just like in Iron, Hierro (Spanish), Ferro (Portuguese). So it's basically similar when listening but not in writing.

My Countship is not of this world Comte Arnau's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-18-2015 @ 02:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,755
    Given: 1,407

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rashka View Post
    I don't like the French R either. It actually doesn't sound like an R but like a throaty KH sound. Are you saying that this sound is changing to a rolled R in some languages?
    No, he's saying the contrary. That there are still remains of the rolled r in some French-speaking areas.

They come from the plural Latin fom, FOLIA.

Old Spanish was FOJA, the j still being pronounced as modern French j. So it sounded similar to the sound of ILL/GLI/LH/LL.

Later F would drop. It is often believed to have been caused by Basque influence, but this isn't clear. It's true that the two typical languages where this has happened, Spanish and Gascon, have been directly in contact with Basque. But so has Aragonese, and it doesn't drop its F's. And apparently a few other isolated areas in the Romance area have also dropped their F's.

H's are being written to remind you that there was an initial F in there which became an aspiration. In some Spanish-speaking areas, the aspiration is still performed.

Later too, the J would evolve into its current harsh sound. It could be due to the fact that it had devoiced and become a sort of SH, and so in many words the sound was too close to S, so Castilians preferred to move it backwards and it became what it is today. In this way, words like OSA and HOJA sound now very distinct.
    < La Catalogne peut se passer de l'univers entier, et ses voisins ne peuvent se passer d'elle. > Voltaire

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-23-2016 @ 05:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

No, he's saying the contrary. That there are still remains of the rolled r in some French-speaking areas.
    Exactly. Many people in Quebec, especially those who speak "proper" french do not role the 'r's as much as they did 50 years ago. However especially in more 'rural' regions and with typically older people where I live, hearing people role the r is not so uncommon. Its rather more typical of a Quebec accent to do so imo.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information