Quote Originally Posted by Snug View Post
fantastic, you seem to have lots of insight into this, From what my searching shows is that there is the Moscow accent and the southern accent, the Moscow or North accent is looked at better in the business world, while the southern rural accent's pronouncement of the H and S is looked at badly.

Accents in the america's in english and spanish are not different dialects, you can understand them, they just have a different way of pronouncing the words, this is what I am talking about. Just as English from England is understandable to Americans. This is what I mean by accent and it appears that there is some sort of accent even if it is minor, however from what I read the divide between north and south is almost none existent now due to TV and internet.

please let me know if my information is wrong
You're quite right. I'm not sure about perception of dialects in business world but I'd say Moscow accent belongs to Central dialect. Northern are in the areas around Novgorod and Arkhangelsk etc. The difference in Russian dialects is not in words but in pronounciation of specific syllables.

Syllables are far more important and widely used in Russian than in English. Where English heavily rely on auxiliary verbs and structure of a sentence Russian rely on various syllables as prefixes and suffixes to key words. The difference in pronounciation of these syllables is actually the key in forming the dialects. They do not affect understanding at all since the meaning of all syllables and the general structure of a word is same for all of them. It is not the same for different accents of English where American English is often totally unrecoginzable by Australian or NZ English speakers because it is important for them to recognize the whole word rather than individual syllables.