View Poll Results: Do you think Greece and Finland are culturally more Eastern European countries?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

39 40.21%
  • no

58 59.79%
Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Greece and Finland are culturally more eastern european countries?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-06-2022 @ 08:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    Orange
    Country
    European Union
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,409
    Given: 1,009

0 Not allowed!

Default Do you think Greece and Finland are culturally more eastern european countries?

Quote Originally Posted by wvwvw View Post
    The first thing he did when he first registered here was attack Serbs, do you think that's normal for a Greek? Even if there might be Greeks that dislike Serbs (uncommon and unlikely for a Greek) he wouldn't care to attack Serbs. He then kept praising the Albanians and said how he liked Albanians. I see a very Albanian pattern here: Obsession with Serbs, Russians and Turks but trolling them safely behind the impersonation of another ethnicity. He gets to troll Greeks too, by implying every region in Greece is hellenized. Northern Greeks are Hellenized Slavs, Asia Minor Greeks are not Greeks, Peloponneseans are not Greek, Epirotes are not Greek, even half of Crete is hellenized according to him. Note how he doesn't bat an eyelid when we insult Crete (because ppl wrongly assumed he was Cretan) and how he even encourages people to attack Crete. Would a Cretan do that? No. He is a troll with no life of his own. He has admitted himself he spends his time in other forums too trolling various ethnicities. He registered in Apricity with a TURKISH email adress..go figure!
    Your are spreading lies with your post, typical.

As for the highlighted part:

I never joined TA with a Turkish email. The troll who posted that I joined with a Turkish email is now banned. He wanted to convince you that I'm Turkish, however he gave a fake registration email. And I also contacted Loki, and he told me that the registration email that the troll gave doesn't exist among the registered emails in this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,067
    Given: 10,740

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavrentis View Post
    I'm not racist against Greeks with Asian or any Non-Hellenic admixture, you are delusional if you think that. If you noticed from my posts, I am talking about their mindset/mentality not their genetics. I am saying that Greece did a mistake of treating these people as natives-they clearly weren't.
    I know Greek Americans of Pontic and Cappadoccian decent who check Middle Eastern on the census, so clearly their mindset is still close to Armenians, Assyrians, etc. and not to Greeks.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,067
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Teucer View Post
    I said that the Caucuses-Near Eastern component of Cretans is nearly on par with Cypriots, not overall. Cretans have far more Northern European than Cypriots do. But the large Caucuses-Near Eastern competent remains, and the highest levels of J2 in Europe are found in Crete, second only to Cyprus.

Since Greek Islanders and Cypriots also share that high amount of Caucuses-Near Eastern DNA, and Greek Islanders or Cretans are not as Levantine as Cypriots, it must come from a common ancestry in Anatolia.
    Cretans and Dodecanese are closest to Sicilians and southern Italians (who also have Caucasian and Near Eastern DNA). The difference between all of these is roughly 10% more North Euro. A Sicilian is basically a Cypriot with 10% North European. I assume the same is true for Crete.

HOWEVER, other Greek islanders like Cyclades, Ionian islands, and some North Aegean islands are shifted toward mainland Greece and have elevated Northern European compared to Crete/south Italy/etc.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-24-2022 @ 03:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sub-Mediterranid
    Ethnicity
    Afro-Asiatic
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Greece is 100% Eastern European culturally. It's only excluded from this because of its alliance to NATO during Cold War. It started Orthodox Christianity and uses the Greek script. Greeks as a people are much more Eastern compared to Spaniards and Italians.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-16-2023 @ 05:04 AM
    In a remote province of the Planet of the Apes...
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,706
    Given: 8,357

0 Not allowed!

Greece is definitely Eastern European, but Finland I think is more transitional between the core Western Teutonic Europe and the more Eastern Baltic and Slavic European countries.

Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 11:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Digital Don Quixote
    Ethnicity
    Forums
    Ancestry
    Hellenic, Balkan, Latin, Anatolian, Druide
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Athens
    Taxonomy
    Anatolian Lappid
    Hero
    Justinian, Constantine, Augustus, Charlemagne, Aurelian, Alexander
    Religion
    Uralische beauties, Viktor Orban
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,627
    Given: 10,177

0 Not allowed!

If you go by anthrolore, they are both Asian in their own ways, but the culture is identical in the whole Eastern European region no doubt.

Likewise, a Swedish Saami, a Norf FC chav, and a Swiss highlander all share identical Teutonic culture.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-16-2023 @ 05:04 AM
    In a remote province of the Planet of the Apes...
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,706
    Given: 8,357

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Faklon View Post
    If you go by anthrolore, they are both Asian in their own ways, but the culture is identical in the whole Eastern European region no doubt.

Likewise, a Swedish Saami, a Norf FC chav, and a Swiss highlander all share identical Teutonic culture.
    Of course there is great variety in what can be broadly called Eastern Europe and there is variety in Teutonic Europe too, with the Brits and indeed the Uralic speaking Lapps quite distinct.
    What I meant though is that it's absurd to claim Finland is as Western as Scandinavia and the other core Western European countries, while equally Finnic and Lutheran Estonia is East European. Consider that both Finland and Estonia were ruled by Sweden and later by Russia for a long time. The Estonians and the Latvians too were conquered and converted to Christianity by the Teutonic Knights and Finns by the Swedes during the Northern crusades. During the Protestant Reformation of the Early Modern Age, both Finns and Estonians and the majority of Latvians became Lutheran Protestants. For centuries Latvia and Estonia had a mostly German ruling class and this lasted until well into the 20th century. So what makes Finland more Western than Estonia or even Baltic speaking Latvia? The fact that it borders Sweden? Or is it the fact that by luck it escaped communist rule, much like Greece?
    Greece is so Eastern, Byzantine and Orthodox, that it's not worth trying to argue that it's not Eastern. Orthodox countries like Greece, Romania or Russia are often not even considered part of Western civilization by many intellectuals. We are often grouped with Georgia, Armenia or even Turkey, though I don't really see it. especially not Turkey. Finland is both Western culturally and East European in my opinion. It's only as East European and as Western as Poland or Hungary, but not as East European as Russia, Greece, Bulgaria or Romania.

Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 11:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Digital Don Quixote
    Ethnicity
    Forums
    Ancestry
    Hellenic, Balkan, Latin, Anatolian, Druide
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Athens
    Taxonomy
    Anatolian Lappid
    Hero
    Justinian, Constantine, Augustus, Charlemagne, Aurelian, Alexander
    Religion
    Uralische beauties, Viktor Orban
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,627
    Given: 10,177

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheForeigner View Post
    Of course there is great variety in what can be broadly called Eastern Europe and there is variety in Teutonic Europe too, with the Brits and indeed the Uralic speaking Lapps quite distinct.
    What I meant though is that it's absurd to claim Finland is as Western as Scandinavia and the other core Western European countries, while equally Finnic and Lutheran Estonia is East European. Consider that both Finland and Estonia were ruled by Sweden and later by Russia for a long time. The Estonians and the Latvians too were conquered and converted to Christianity by the Teutonic Knights and Finns by the Swedes during the Northern crusades. During the Protestant Reformation of the Early Modern Age, both Finns and Estonians and the majority of Latvians became Lutheran Protestants. For centuries Latvia and Estonia had a mostly German ruling class and this lasted until well into the 20th century. So what makes Finland more Western than Estonia or even Baltic speaking Latvia? The fact that it borders Sweden? Or is it the fact that by luck it escaped communist rule, much like Greece?
    Greece is so Eastern, Byzantine and Orthodox, that it's not worth trying to argue that it's not Eastern. Orthodox countries like Greece, Romania or Russia are often not even considered part of Western civilization by many intellectuals. We are often grouped with Georgia, Armenia or even Turkey, though I don't really see it. especially not Turkey. Finland is both Western culturally and East European in my opinion. It's only as East European and as Western as Poland or Hungary, but not as East European as Russia, Greece, Bulgaria or Romania.
    Greece didn't escape communism by chance, it went through a Greek Civil War when Greek communists themselves were very patriotic and religious. A different understanding of communism than the one in the Eastern block. Many great patriots died in both sides.

Communist priest partisan:

The Greek anti-Nazi resistance was also formed by a fascist government (Ioannis Metaxas), they just preferred to fight for the homeland instead of making an alliance like Mussolini.

For the West vs East debate, let Finland be more Western.

Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Norse
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Norwegian
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 9

0 Not allowed!

Northern Europe is neither West nor East

Out of the ***** Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,022
    Given: 2,190

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheForeigner View Post
    So what makes Finland more Western than Estonia or even Baltic speaking Latvia? The fact that it borders Sweden? Or is it the fact that by luck it escaped communist rule, much like Greece?
    Borders? Nope, but because of periods. You wrote: ''both Finland and Estonia were ruled by Sweden and later by Russia for a long time.
    Nope, not nearly same ways!

1.) Finland was ruled by Swedes
    more than 700 years ... and continuously until 1820. Estonia and 2 other Baltic states much much less. With Russians it is opposite. Plus as Finland was ruled by Russians (bit less than 100years ... 1820 - 1917) Finland had strong autonomous position.

2.) Estonia 1629 - 1721 (under Sweden)
    Less than 100 years

Estonia 1720 - 1918 (under Russia)
    Estonia 1940 - 1990 (under Sovjet Union)
    Together almost 250years

3.) Latvia 1629 - 1721 (under Sweden)
    Less than 100 years.

Latvia 1721 - 1918 (under Russia)
    Latvia 1940 - 1990 (under Sovjet Union)
    Together almost 250 years

4.) Lithuania
    Was part of Poland 1556 - 1795

Was part of Russia 1795 - 1918
    Was part of Sovjet Union 1940 - 1990
    Together more than 170 years,

Poland can not either be called ''western''. Plus Poland has influenced other Baltic states as well, at least to Latvia in the history.

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152 LastLast

Thread Information