I-M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1b4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,954
    Given: 11,022

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Artek View Post

It seems it was more common in such Celts or Balts than in Germanics, looking at the British Isles.
    Very unusual distribution, doesn't seem to strongly correlate with any particular populations other than a few small areas.

Last Online
    01-02-2024 @ 01:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z280
    mtDNA
    U4a1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,813
    Given: 872

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Very unusual distribution, doesn't seem to strongly correlate with any particular populations other than a few small areas.
    Such description fits to many mtDNA haplogroups throughout the Europe

Quote Originally Posted by fergusgiselle View Post
    It is an early Viking group that travelled quite far. It was once 17 per cent of parts of Scandinavia but is now only around 2 per cent. Its found in early viking sites.
    I think you are referring to the Bronze Age Danish. They are probably as "viking" as modern Poles
    R1a-Z282>Z280>CTS1211>Y35>CTS3402>Y33>CTS8816>Y2902>Y3226>YP5224>BY27800
    N1c-L1026>CTS10760>VL29>Z4908>L550>L1025>M2783>Y5580>L591>BY158>Y5576
    R1a-Z282>Z280>CTS1211>YP1019>YP1020>YP1033*
    R1b-U152>L2>DF103>S14469
    It's still not an end.
    R1a and R1b unite - Join!

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-17-2017 @ 12:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bell Beaker ish
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    29/32 English, 2/32 Welsh, 1/32 Scottish
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1b4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,954
    Given: 11,022

0 Not allowed!

Such description fits to many mtDNA haplogroups throughout the Europe

That is true to be honest...

Last Online
    01-02-2024 @ 01:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z280
    mtDNA
    U4a1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,813
    Given: 872

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    That is true to be honest...
    But we can try to guess which mtDNA haplogroups were more frequent among the Celts in Britain and which were more frequent among the Germanic "newcomers". With some margin of error, of course
    R1a-Z282>Z280>CTS1211>Y35>CTS3402>Y33>CTS8816>Y2902>Y3226>YP5224>BY27800
    N1c-L1026>CTS10760>VL29>Z4908>L550>L1025>M2783>Y5580>L591>BY158>Y5576
    R1a-Z282>Z280>CTS1211>YP1019>YP1020>YP1033*
    R1b-U152>L2>DF103>S14469
    It's still not an end.
    R1a and R1b unite - Join!

Last Online
    03-14-2018 @ 07:31 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    celtic/nordic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/Scandinavian
    Country
    Australia
    mtDNA
    I- rare viking
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 154

1 Not allowed!

But we can try to guess which mtDNA haplogroups were more frequent among the Celts in Britain and which were more frequent among the Germanic "newcomers". With some margin of error, of course
    we are too good looking to be celts ;-)

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,722
    Given: 17,037

2 Not allowed!

Default Haplogroups N1a & I (mtDNA)

Geographic distribution

Haplogroup I is a fairly rare haplogroup, being found in average in 2% of Europeans and under 1% of Near Easterners. Slightly more elevated concentrations are found in Daghestan, notably among the Dargins (6.5%), Chechens (6%) and Kumyks (5.5%), as well as in isolated parts of Europe such as Mordovia (6%), Latvia (4.5%), Lithuania (3%), Finland (4%), Brittany (3%), Great Britain (4%), Ireland (3%) and Iceland (4%), but also Serbia (3.5%), Croatia (3%), Bosnia-Herzegovina (3%) and parts of Italy. Haplogroup I is absent from Lapland, the Basque country and the Maghreb, three regions that share high levels of mt-haplogroups U5 and HV0/V.

Haplogroup N1a, excluding the N1a1b2 subclade (i.e. haplogroup I), is even rarer, being found is less than 0.5% of the European population. N1a(xI) is most common in Yemen (2.5%), Saudi Arabia (2.5%), Kazakhstan (1.5%), Egypt (1%), Armenia (1%), Bosnia-Herzegovina (1%), Lithuania (1%) and Estonia (1%). There seems to be an overlap in distribution between haplogroups N1a and I in the Dinaric Alps and Baltic countries.

Distribution of mtDNA haplogroup I in Europe, North Africa and the Middle East

Origins & History

Haplogroups N1a and I have never been found in ancient samples from Paleolithic or Mesolithic Europe. N1a is thought to have originated in Southwest Asia, perhaps in the Arabian peninsula or in the southern Levant, then to have spread to the Caucasus and Europe with the diffusion of agriculture during the Neolithic period.

Neolithic farmers

The earliest evidence of N1a in Europe comes from the Early Neolithic, when it suddenly pops up in 13 of the 102 skeletons tested to date from various sites of the Linear Pottery culture (LBK) in Germany (see Adler 2012 and Brandt 2013), giving it a spectacularly high frequency of 12.75%. This may have been due to a founder effect among LBK farmers, but it is noteworthy that later Neolithic cultures in the region kept high levels of N1a compared to modern Germany. That included samples from the Rössen (9%) and Schöningen (3%) cultures, as well as the Baalberge (5%) and Salzmünde (7%) groups of the Funnelbeaker culture, spanning the whole Neolithic and early Chalcolithic periods. These German samples belonged to the N1a1a, N1a1a1 and N1a1a3 subclades.

From the time of the Corded Ware culture, representing the advance of Proto-Indo-European speakers from the Pontic Steppe of Ukraine and southern Russia, haplogroup N1a suddenly disappears from the record in Central Europe, and would never come back.

N1a was also found in the Alföld culture in Hungary, an eastern branch of the Linear Pottery culture, as well as in Megalithic France.

Nowadays N1a is also found in modern Cushitic populations of East Africa. In fact, the same N1a1a3 that was found in Neolithic Germany is now found essentially in Somalia and Ethiopia, in the Horn of Africa. This region has the world's highest frequency of Y-haplogroup T, the greatest diversity of Y-haplogroup E1b1b, and also a substantial percentage of Y-haplogroup J1, three paternal lineages thought to have been found among early agriculturalists from the Fertile Crescent alongside Y-haplogroup G2 - the four "Neolithic founder Y-DNA haplogroups". Therefore it is possible that N1a originated with Y-haplogroup J1 and/or T during the Upper Paleolithic, then spread with all four haplogroups after E1b1b and G2a converged with J1 and T in the Fertile Crescent during the Natufian period or the Pre-Pottery Neolithic.

With the expansion of agriculture from the Fertile Crescent, N1a1a (and N1a3) migrated to Anatolia, then to Europe. During that time, N1a1b expanded directly from the Fertile Crescent to the Caucasus and northern Iran, where it developed N1a1b1 (found in Iran today) and N1a1b2 (haplogroup I). In this scenario, R1b cattle herders from eastern Anatolia would have absorbed mtDNA I by intermarriages with Caucasian women on the way to the Pontic Steppe. This would have happened with other mtDNA lineages too (see maternal lineages corresponding to haplogroup R1b). Whatever the exact route and timing, haplogroup I was almost certainly found in the northwest Caucasus when the Maykop culture appeared around 3700 BCE, and would consequently have become part of the Proto-Indo-European tribes before the great migrations to Europe and Central Asia.

Haplogroup I has not been found in Neolithic remains from Europe to date. It first shows up in Chalcolithic Catalonia (c. 3500-3000 BCE) as I1c1. Interestingly it was accompanied by haplogroups U4 and W1, two typically East European lineages, which hint that the Catalan site may represent an early migration of Steppe people in western Europe.
    Indo-European migrations

It is during the Late Copper Age and Early Bronze Age that haplogroup I start cropping up regularly in European remains, first in the Corded Ware culture (2.5% of all samples), associated with the expansion of Y-haplogroup R1a, but especially with the Unetice culture (13% of all samples), linked with the arrival of R1b people around modern Germany, Czechia and western Poland. Whereas N1a was exclusively found among Near Eastern Neolithic farmers, haplogroup I displays a strong connection with the Indo-European migrations. The higher frequency of I in the North Caucasus today also alludes to a link with the Maykop culture, the world's first militaristic Bronze Age culture, which was intricately connected with the Yamna culture of the Pontic Steppe (see R1b history).

Lineages found among the Unetice culture belonged to the I1, I1a1 and I3a subclades, I1a1 being the most prevalent among them. The oldest known R1b1b2 sample at present is an individual from the late Corded Ware or pre-Unetice culture (2600–2500 BCE) in eastern Germany who happened to belong to mt-haplogroup I1a1.

Haplogroup I was also found in Scythian remains in Siberia (I4 subclade, Keyser et al. 2009) and in southern Russia (I3 subclade, Der Sarkissian et al. 2011).

Another way to determine whether a particular lineage could have been spread by the Indo-European migration is to compare their modern distribution in regions historically settled by the Indo-Europeans, which besides Europe also comprises most of Central Asia, parts of Siberia (notably the Altai), as well as South Asia from Iran to western India. Haplogroup I is indeed present in all these regions. Unfortunately data about specific subclades is still sparse, but I1a appears to be the most common form of I in Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan, the two Central Asian countries with the highest percentages of R1b. I1a is also common in central and eastern Europe, in the Caucasus and in the British isles.

Haplogroup I2 is found in most of northern Europe, but also in the Caucasus, in Siberia and among the Pasiegos of Cantabria in northern Spain, who has possess other typically Indo-European maternal lineages like H6, J1b1a, T1a1a, U2e, U4 and U5a1a and surprisingly high levels of Y-haplogroup R1a (see Maca-Meyer et al. 2003). I3 is found mostly in countries with high percentages of R1b in northwestern Europe, and its presence in the Unetice culture and among ancient Scythians confirm an Indo-European origin. I4a is scattered around all Europe, but is also found around the Black Sea, the North Caucasus, Iran and Siberia, all regions settled by the Indo-Europeans.

Other subclades

Three I5 samples were identified in a site from the early Minoan civilization by Hughey et al. 2013. The fact that the Minoans were a pre-Indo-European Greek culture casts doubt on the Indo-European origin of I5. Nevertheless, its modern distribution ranges from the North Caucasus to central and western Europe, argues in favour of an Indo-European dispersal. The case of I5 cannot be settled in light of the present data.

On the other hand, the modern distributions of I4b, so far found only in Iran, I6, found in northern Iran, Turkey and Sicily, and I7, found in Armenia and Mesopotamia, do not suggest a Steppe connection. The pre-Indo-European development of haplogroup I in the Caucasus can explain why subclades like I6 and I7 aren't associated with the Indo-Europeans. These were probably lineages from the South Caucasus, which became part of the Kura-Araxes culture during the Early Bronze Age, and expanded to Anatolia and northern Mesopotamia. Kura-Araxes men are thought to have belonged essentially to Y-haplogroup G2a and J2, with a minority of J1 and T. After centuries of intermingling with other Anatolian people, they may have indirectly become the ancestors of the ancient Greek people. In the Classical Greek Antiquity, I5 and I6 would have been spread to Magna Graecia (southern Italy), especially southern Sicily and Apulia, which were Doric colonies with direct links to Crete.

Subclades

N1a
    N1a1'2
    N1a1
    N1a1a: found in the North Caucasus (Kabardia) and Yemen
    N1a1a1: found in Neolithic Germany
    N1a1a1a
    N1a1a1a1: found in Russia
    N1a1a1a2: found in Siberia (Buryat)
    N1a1a1a3
    N1a1a1b
    N1a1a2
    N1a1a3: found in Somalia, Ethiopia, and Neolithic Germany
    N1a1b
    N1a1b1: found in Iran and the Arabian peninsula

I (aka N1a1b2)

I1
    I1a: found in most of Europe and Central Asia, as well as in North Caucasus, Siberia, Iran, Pakistan and India
    I1a1
    I1a1a: found in north-east Europe and Siberia
    I1a1b: found in Scandinavia, Germany and the British Isles
    I1a1c: found in north-east Europe and Norway
    I1a1d: found in the British Isles
    I1a1e: found in the British Isles
    I1b: found in the Levant, around the Caucasus, in Poland, Sweden and India
    I1c: found in central and eastern Europe and in Siberia
    I1c1: found in central and eastern Europe
    I1c1a: found among Ashkenazi Jews
    I1d: found in Italy
    I1e: found in India

I2: found in northern and central Europe, Anatolia, the North Caucasus and Azerbaijan
    I2a: found in northern and central Europe, and in Siberia
    I2b: found in Finland
    I2c: found in Britain
    I2d: found in northern Europe
    I2e: found in Germany and England

I3: found mostly in northwestern Europe
    I3a: found mostly in Celtic and Germanic countries
    I3b: found in Poland and Ireland
    I3c: found in Ireland
    I3d

I4
    I4a: found in north-west and central Europe, around the Black Sea, in the North Caucasus, Armenia, Iran and Siberia
    I4a1: found in Britain, European Russia and Siberia
    I4a2: found in Finland
    I4b: found in northern Iran

I5: found in the North Caucasus (North Ossetia)
    I5a: found in southern and central Europe, in Turkey and in the Arabian peninsula
    I5a1: found in Iberia and France
    I5a2: found in Germany
    I5a3: found in Germany and Turkey
    I5a4: found in Romania and southern Russia
    I5b: found in Italy
    I5b1: found in Iran
    I5c
    I5c1: found in Italy, Poland, Germany and England

I6: found in Turkey
    I6a: found in Italy (Sicily)
    I6b: found in Turkey and Iran

I7: found in Armenia and Kuwait

N1a2: found in India

N1a3: found in Belarus
    N1a3a: found in Romania and Saudi Arabia
    N1a3a1: found in Russia
    N1a3a2: found in Italy and Kuwait
    N1a3a3: found in Cyprus and Russia

Source: http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_I_mtDNA.shtml

Last Online
    03-14-2018 @ 07:31 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    celtic/nordic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/Scandinavian
    Country
    Australia
    mtDNA
    I- rare viking
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 154

6 Not allowed!

haplogroup I is for the most attractive women.

photo 1924682_623961631031279_1058264965_n.jpg

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

I received this today from the FTDAN mtDNA Haplogroup I Project:

For the mtDNA Haplogroup I Project, I am currently checking our members for potential new subclades. We expect several new subclades to be added in the next update of the official mtDNA tree.

Many subclades are defined by variants in the coding region of the mtDNA sequence, so it is helpful for project administrators to view those results. However, default settings in your account block project administrators from seeing them.

To evaluate your subclade status -- both now and when the official mtDNA tree is updated next -- would you mind allowing me to privately view your full-sequence results?
    I adjusted my settings and let the administrator know. This was the reply I got!

Thank you for allowing me to see your mtDNA results.

As it turns out, you have three rare variants: 3504C, 8020A, and 10283G. One or more of these could eventually be the defining motif of a new I1b subclade.

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I submitted all my details to Genbank as requested by the group administrator and I now have now my own file with my genetic information! A lot of research is currently underway regarding mtDNA group I. There are only 9 I1b's in the FTDNA project, and with my mutations I might end up with a subclade of my own!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/KJ890390

Banned
    Last Online
    12-31-2014 @ 10:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Antique.
    Ethnicity
    Remnants of the Antique past.
    Country
    Flanders
    Taxonomy
    Dinarized Irano-pontid.
    Politics
    Imperium rex romanorum
    Religion
    Roman paganism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 932
    Given: 1,686

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimiera View Post
    Haplogroup I is a predominately Eurasian lineage.

Origin

Haplogroup I is a descendant (subclade) of haplogroup N1e'I (Behar 2012b) and sibling of haplogroup N1e (Behar 2012b). It is believed to have arisen somewhere in Eurasia between 17,263 and 24,451 years before present (Behar 2012b). It has been suggested that its origin may be in northern Iran or in Europe towards the Carpathian Mountain region where its highest frequency is found (Terreros 2011).
    edit: Aren't all I subclades mainly descending from F ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information