Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45,005
    Given: 45,081

0 Not allowed!

Default Question for Bosniaks

Throughout history, you have been regarded as 'aliens' in the Balkan by your neighbours, because of your Islamic religion. I guess therefore you felt closer to Turks and other Muslims.

And now, since many European countries (especially in Northern Europe) have helped and offered you refuge - do you feel more 'European' now, and accepted by fellow Europeans?
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 998
    Given: 821

0 Not allowed!

Because when Bosnian Genocide was happenning in front of Europe, No one helped them. So i do not think they will forget that and get closer to Other Europeans.

Last Online
    09-11-2015 @ 12:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Roman
    Ethnicity
    Roman
    Ancestry
    Pontos
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Politics
    Fascist/Pan-European
    Hero
    Ioannis Metaxas & Georgios Papadopoulos
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 922
    Given: 562

0 Not allowed!

Well, We have always been European, Slavs, South-europeans. Because of a empire invading into the Balkans, and converting us to Islam, does not make us any-lesser European. Sure, Islam has been started in a foreign land from us, But we are still who we are. Brits, Russians,etc., are converting to Islam and their still European. No difference whatsoever

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by adsız View Post
    Because when Bosnian Genocide was happenning in front of Europe, No one helped them. So i do not think they will forget that and get closer to Other Europeans.
    They did eventually, but far too late. Sadly.

Last Online
    06-29-2013 @ 12:35 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic-Thracian-Illyrian
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Country
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Politics
    Nescafé
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Throughout history, you have been regarded as 'aliens' in the Balkan by your neighbours, because of your Islamic religion. I guess therefore you felt closer to Turks and other Muslims.

And now, since many European countries (especially in Northern Europe) have helped and offered you refuge - do you feel more 'European' now, and accepted by fellow Europeans?

Well, I always felt European...regardless of what the neighbours felt or feel about me. I was born in Europe, my ancestors are European...I do have a religion which originated in the same part of the world as Christianity, which has been present in Europe since the 8th century...and which has in the Balkans its own interpretation, cultural expression and architecture. A "soft kind of Islam" as the writer Miljenko Jergovic once wrote...

I do feel a connection to the turkish culture. The religion is of course the same, but also the cousine, customs, music and almost five hundred years of common history. Even in the language you can find turkish words ( but most of this applies to all Balkan countries, 500 years is a long time of influence).

Regarding other Muslims...just religion alone is not enough for me to feel close to anyone. I feel closer to a Pole or a Slovenian than to...a Pakistani or Somalian of course. Even turks from inner Anatolia seem strange to me compared to the inhabitants of Istanbul, for example.

Now...I am in northern Europe, Norway...a country that has given me a refuge, an education, employment...everything any other Norwegian citizen has, and I know Norway has given me more than Bosnia ever would have been able to. Bosniaks in Norway are very well integrated, I have no experience with Norwegians considering us anything else but Europeans, the issue of immigration has largely focused on Pakistani, Somalian and Arab immigrants and not Bosniaks. I consider Norway as my home country now, because it is here where my home is. I have bulit a life here.

And I consider this area of the world to be much safer and friendlier for my (future) children to grow up in, rather than the Balkans...I do not want them to go trough the shit that I did...
    I`ve kept the Bosniak traditions and embraced the Norwegian ones...i like bosnian food burek, and norwegian rice pudding
    I think it`s a good thing, to get to know two cultures from different places on the continent. It`s enriching.

Last Online
    06-17-2020 @ 09:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,327
    Given: 1,512

0 Not allowed!

i think that it is not the religion that shows that u are an European or not.After all none of the 3 major religious have "started" in Europe.

The religios is smth personal.

Last Online
    08-02-2014 @ 01:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Pontid-BaltoCM
    Politics
    God, Family, Homeland
    Hero
    Slobodan Praljak
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 48

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AlSh View Post
    i think that it is not the religion that shows that u are an European or not.After all none of the 3 major religious have "started" in Europe.

The religios is smth personal.
    Yes but Christian tradition incorporated much more stuff from European soil and evolved mostly in Europe. That's why Islam even tough it has similar origin because of its evolution in Arabia feels alien in Europe.

That's how I explain it.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by _Cokolino_ View Post
    Well, I always felt European...regardless of what the neighbours felt or feel about me. I was born in Europe, my ancestors are European...I do have a religion which originated in the same part of the world as Christianity, which has been present in Europe since the 8th century...and which has in the Balkans its own interpretation, cultural expression and architecture. A "soft kind of Islam" as the writer Miljenko Jergovic once wrote...

I do feel a connection to the turkish culture. The religion is of course the same, but also the cousine, customs, music and almost five hundred years of common history. Even in the language you can find turkish words ( but most of this applies to all Balkan countries, 500 years is a long time of influence).

Regarding other Muslims...just religion alone is not enough for me to feel close to anyone. I feel closer to a Pole or a Slovenian than to...a Pakistani or Somalian of course. Even turks from inner Anatolia seem strange to me compared to the inhabitants of Istanbul, for example.

Now...I am in northern Europe, Norway...a country that has given me a refuge, an education, employment...everything any other Norwegian citizen has, and I know Norway has given me more than Bosnia ever would have been able to. Bosniaks in Norway are very well integrated, I have no experience with Norwegians considering us anything else but Europeans, the issue of immigration has largely focused on Pakistani, Somalian and Arab immigrants and not Bosniaks. I consider Norway as my home country now, because it is here where my home is. I have bulit a life here.

And I consider this area of the world to be much safer and friendlier for my (future) children to grow up in, rather than the Balkans...I do not want them to go trough the shit that I did...
    I`ve kept the Bosniak traditions and embraced the Norwegian ones...i like bosnian food burek, and norwegian rice pudding
    I think it`s a good thing, to get to know two cultures from different places on the continent. It`s enriching.
    Great answer, thank you!

From the Julian Alps curiousman's Avatar
    Last Online
    01-09-2015 @ 07:58 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 425

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jusuf View Post
    Brits, Russians,etc., are converting to Islam and their still European. No difference whatsoever
    Maybe in your wishfull thinking ... those few are traitors and renegades, European and Mohameddan is only an oxymoron
    "In their old age every former whore tries to lecture everyone on morality. Especially on overseas tours." "Either take off your cross or put on your knickers."(Dmitry Rogozin )

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Ancestry
    Bosanska Krajina
    Country
    Belgium
    Politics
    Hero
    TITO
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,187
    Given: 1,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post

We had a Kingdom during Midle age, we were part of Ottoman Empire, Austrian Empire, we've experienced fascism, communism, now capitalism. We feel as European as any other country since all European troubles an Ideologies affected us. If we feel more European, it's because of the European Union process, and it applies to all the continent.

About feeling closer to muslims, I'm closer to Belgians and Eastern Europeans, North Africans hit on my nerves, I have not much common with them.
    Cheers to Bosnia

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information