European-style American
    Ethnicity
    California dreaming
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default It's All About Position!

In the Western, industrial nations, for many decades, it has been the norm for laboring mothers to be sitting in a reclined position in order to give birth. Until the seventies in America, women were very discouraged from changing positions from the reclined pose, in some cases being strapped down. Thankfully in large part to the midwifery movement, which has been based on women's well care for its existence, that has changed. Water birth is much more prevalent, along with birthing balls, and other forms of support for the mother while she is in labor.

What is so potentially bad about the recline position anyway? Most women give birth this way in the hospital, and they're all alright.

This is true that most women give birth in the recline position. But it has a disadvantage as that it is working against gravity. Another disadvantage is that it is harder for the mother's sacral promontory to open during labor.

Think about it. If you are laying in a reclined position, there is pressure against your back. There are two joints in that area that don't relax at all except during hard labor: the sacroiliac joints. These two joints are the strongest ones in your whole body. They do not relax nearly as much as the symphysis pubis does during the course of pregnancy. But during labor, the pressure from the baby descending allows the mothers back to open, by the relaxing of the sacroiliac, and facilitate easier birth. The sacrococcygeal joint, which is your tailbone, is also affected, as it flares out during descent, and crowning to help widen the pelvic diameter. This joint is also smothered during the recline position.

If you are laying on your back, sitting up, you are not allowing your body to fully relax these two joints, which helps to keep the diameter of the pelvis more narrow than the pregnancy hormones allow them to be. Women have these hormones for a reason, to widen our hips to facilate the passage of the baby! It's why our pelvises are shaped different from those of men. The difference between pre-pregnancy pelvic diameter, and laboring diameter is incredibly dramatic.

When doctors are delivering the baby (a stupid term, they're not delivering, the mother is! ) they often tell the mother to "push towards the ceiling!" If you think about it, which makes more sense? Pushing something out of your body down, or pushing it up? It's the law of gravity.

Doctors also tell mothers to push when fully dialated, because we need to get the baby out as soon as possible! Well, if the fetal heart tones are checking out alright, along with the vitals of the mother, it is best to allow the mother the chance to push when her body tells her to! The doctor does not know precisely what her body is doing at that moment. Her uterus may need a rest from the hard work it just did. Pushing the uterus with labor augmentation such as Pitocin or Cytotec is dangerous, as it greatly increases the chances of uterine rupture, or amniotic fluid embolism, both of which are fatal to mother and baby. The mother's body is perfectly capable of telling her when it is time to push. She will push when she's ready!

So, in light of this very brief overview, what are good positions? Squatting is a good position, as it helps to open the pelvic floor. Forward kneeling is good as well, as it is a position that is able to be maintained for longer periods of time. Birthing balls are good as well, as it gives a supported squat, and the ability to bounce, which can be soothing to the mother while in labor, and helpful for the baby's descent. Sometimes a knees-chest position is good as well, which is kneeling on the floor, then leaning forward to place your chest on the ground.

Hope that this is helpful!

Last Online
    05-17-2020 @ 04:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-germanic
    Ethnicity
    Cape Bretoner
    Ancestry
    Brittany, Scotland, Norway
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Novia Scotia
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

Knowing what I know now, I think if I had another baby and things were okay, I'd go for a midwife and a home birth.
    The mighty oak was once a tiny acorn that stood its ground.

Crazy Coley's Yarnwhority
    Nails By Nicole: my very small portfolio right now!!!

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    |
    Ethnicity
    |
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

When I have children I'm going to a midwife or a birthing center. I think I'd prefer to do a water birth.

I always wondered why they made women lie on their backs, it just didn't make any sense to me. Along with some doctors not even letting them, eat or rest or walk around if they want.

I'm really glad there are alot more options now, and more geared toward the mother making up her own mind on when and how she will give birth.

Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 02:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alpha Female
    Ethnicity
    Onogondur Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    They drank from skulls...
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Pontisch
    Politics
    gynecocracy
    Religion
    The Sun/ The Moon/ The Stars
    Relationship Status
    Not your future girlfriend
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!

Great for all females who want a natural birth, I really support you.
    Anyway, for myself after knowing my health and physical characteristics, I prefer Caesarean section. In fact a relative of mine with almost the same characteristics gave birth these days with section. She and the baby are in good condition, anyway. Unfortunately, not all women are in perfect health to give birth in the natural way.
    “The truth is lived, not taught."
    Tabiti is just a paranoid Bulgarian who clearly has an agenda
    Void aka Dusan

The Dog Days Are Over Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-29-2013 @ 07:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic/English/American
    Ethnicity
    Pretty
    Ancestry
    Scotland/England/America
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alabama
    Taxonomy
    Beautiful
    Politics
    Rather Not
    Religion
    half Atheist/half Spiritul/Nature
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

0 Not allowed!

Nice Post Frigga's Spindle, Thanks.

^ You know Tabiti, I had 2 Caesarean sections, the first which was a breeze compared to what I went through trying to deliver. But, the 2nd was an absolute nightmare. I could feel every cut as if I had no medicine, while they continually fed me more medicine. I thought I was going to die.

Just Myself Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-22-2023 @ 02:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    igneous
    Ancestry
    Lewisian gneiss
    Country
    Denmark
    Taxonomy
    Pebble
    Politics
    it's MY rock
    Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

I believe that c sec is a lot more common in America than it is here, is that right? I also saw some birthing stools in a museum once, totally circular and with three legs, it looked rather difficult to stay on personally!
    Cattle die, kinsmen die,
    the self must also die;
    but glory never dies,
    For the one who is able to achieve it.

Sayings of the High One.

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-style American
    Ethnicity
    California dreaming
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

Cesearean is very common in America, the national average I believe about over 40%. I believe that that is too high an average. The World Health Organization states than an average rate of 5%-10% is ideal. Modern obstretricians are no longer trained to do pelvimetry, palpation, and fetal heart auscultation by old means, they rely completely on ultrasound, which gives a high rate of either false positives or false negatives, depending on the goal of the ultrasound. They also are not trained to assist in vaginal breech birth, twin birth, and VBAC's (vaginal birth after cesearean) to a high degree, as they rely on the medication, and surgical procedures to cover what they don't know.

Tabiti, the thing of it is is that not all women with narrow hips have a truly narrow inlet/outlet. The iliac crests say nothing about how easily a woman will labor and birth. Pelvimetry is the only way to ascertain that knowledge, and unfortunately it is a dying art. But if you are able to locate someone trained in pelvimetry, they would be able to tell you truly what shape your pelvis is. The one that is the most rare, and the least desirable is the android pelvis. The pubic arch is less than 80 degrees, and the ischal spines are sharp and protruding. Thankfully, this is very uncommon, so the likelihood of you having a true android pelvis is slim. But, you may end up having one characteristic, such as one spine protruding, or the narrow pubic arch, and nothing else. Don't be so quick to submit yourself to a major surgery when it may be that you are able to do it naturally and well.

Last Online
    06-27-2012 @ 09:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Earth female
    Ethnicity
    Europe
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Frigga's Spindle View Post
    Cesearean is very common in America, the national average I believe about over 40%. I believe that that is too high an average. The World Health Organization states than an average rate of 5%-10% is ideal. Modern obstretricians are no longer trained to do pelvimetry, palpation, and fetal heart auscultation by old means, they rely completely on ultrasound, which gives a high rate of either false positives or false negatives, depending on the goal of the ultrasound. They also are not trained to assist in vaginal breech birth, twin birth, and VBAC's (vaginal birth after cesearean) to a high degree, as they rely on the medication, and surgical procedures to cover what they don't know.

Tabiti, the thing of it is is that not all women with narrow hips have a truly narrow inlet/outlet. The iliac crests say nothing about how easily a woman will labor and birth. Pelvimetry is the only way to ascertain that knowledge, and unfortunately it is a dying art. But if you are able to locate someone trained in pelvimetry, they would be able to tell you truly what shape your pelvis is. The one that is the most rare, and the least desirable is the android pelvis. The pubic arch is less than 80 degrees, and the ischal spines are sharp and protruding. Thankfully, this is very uncommon, so the likelihood of you having a true android pelvis is slim. But, you may end up having one characteristic, such as one spine protruding, or the narrow pubic arch, and nothing else. Don't be so quick to submit yourself to a major surgery when it may be that you are able to do it naturally and well.

Cesarian is unnatural, it is just surgery, nothing magic and beautiful is in that. And main aim of that surgeon was to help mother and baby to survive! And it is painfull also, you have to keep immediately after surgery 5 hours the bag with sand on your freshly operating stomak ( and many other things which I would not describe here).

Another thing besides possible side effects and complications after surgery, is that Cesarian limited the number of kids (ok today in Montenegro we have women with even 4 Cesearian delevering from one mother, but could you imagine the womb with so many scarves?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

I think C Section should be used only when necessary. Natural childbirth allows the newborn to expel fluids from its lungs and other essential respiratory functions by squeezing them out when delivery is occurring - C Section obviously doesn't allow for this to take place.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

0 Not allowed!

C-sections are cool with me, I'd probably be dead without one.

Thread Information