Beyond Left and Right
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,774
    Given: 1,669

1 Not allowed!

Question Peoples of the Caucasus

It appears to be a very diverse region, ethnically speaking. And there are now much controversies around it.

In Russia, for instance, is it Pan-Slavism vs. Pan-Caucasism?

I don´t think it´s possible to generalize about the peoples in this region. They seem to ethnically, linguistically, religiously and even racially diverse. Yet there are it seems kinda much interest in it, considering it is being debated on internet forums.. People wonder are they white?, are they Semitic?, Middle Eastern? or just Asian?.. But I think it would be hard to generalize, and I realize that not all of them can be "white" in the European sense, although many of them may be. And some of their detractors may consider them "Semitic". But the only Semitic connections apparently are scattered groups of Jews living here, and that the Arab-Islamic empire occupied parts of it in the 600-700s.

Ethno-lingual/cultural groups:

1. Caucasian

2. Altaic-Turkic

3. Indo European

Religions:

1. Islam

2. (Orthodox) Christianity

3. Judaism

4. Buddhism?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caucasus_ethnic.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	30291

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peoples_of_the_Caucasus

Note: Noticed that this article even include Slavic groups (?)

Last Online
    09-15-2021 @ 08:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian - Hyperborean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    West Sweden
    Taxonomy
    Some sort of Nordid
    Politics
    Beyond Left and Right
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Are the only "genuine" Caucasians, those speaking Caucasian languages?

Last Online
    09-11-2015 @ 12:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Roman
    Ethnicity
    Roman
    Ancestry
    Pontos
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Politics
    Fascist/Pan-European
    Hero
    Ioannis Metaxas & Georgios Papadopoulos
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 922
    Given: 562

1 Not allowed!

There are many nationalities in the Caucasus, some are even close to being gone.

People like the Chechens and Dagestanis are natives to the Caucasus, they are of the Nakh people, people like the Ossetians are an Iranian group of people.

They are all very different but their cultures are very similar.
    Fascist Army
    "Fascism means first of all defending your nation against the dangers that threaten it. It means the destruction of these dangers and the opening of a free way to life and glory for your nation." -Corneliu Codreanu

Banned
    Last Online
    09-03-2023 @ 04:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Highlander
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Y-DNA
    Trinity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,389
    Given: 1,217

2 Not allowed!

This is really quite a complex topic to cover. The Caucasus is a region of incredible diversity and wealth of history.

The indigenous people of the Caucasus are:
    1. Adyghe which includes all Circassian tribes
    2. Georgians
    3. Nakh historically was a very large group, but now the only surviving subgroup are the Waynakh (often spelled Vainakh) Chechens, Ingush and Kists and the non-Waynakh Bats
    4. Certain ethnicities from modern day Dagestan (possibly in excess of 30 different ethnicites including Avars, Dargins and Laks)

Even on their own each of these groups is very diverse.

There are certainly differences among the various ethnicites, from vastly different languages to regional customs to forms of governance and societal structure. Overall though they are connected by their unique mountain culture. One only needs to view their traditional dress, dancing and music and the similarities are immediately obvious.

I would say for an outsider, those differences are completely indistinguishable unless directly pointed out. For someone like me who is extremely familiar with the region, however, it is easy to tell the different ethnicities apart whether by looks, temperament, general conduct or even how one holds himself.

I can say for certain none of the indigenously spoken languages are influenced by foreign languages or even by each other. In Dagestan, even neighbouring villages spoke entirely different languages. However, despite this the indigenious languages are classified together as Caucasian languages.

I believe the Caucasus deserves an identity of its own. It is not European, West-Asian or Middle Eastern.
    Last edited by Illancha; 03-16-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    West Sweden
    Taxonomy
    Some sort of Nordid
    Politics
    Beyond Left and Right
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Noxcho View Post
    This is really quite a complex topic to cover. The Caucasus is a region of incredible diversity and wealth of history.

The indigineous people of the Caucasus are:
    1. Adyghe which includes all Circassian tribes
    2. Georgians
    3. Nakh historically was a very large group, but now the only surviving subgroup are the Waynakh (often spelled Vainakh) Chechens, Ingush and Kists and the non-Waynakh Bats
    4. Certain ethnicities from modern day Dagestan (possibly in excess of 30 different ethnicites including Avars, Dargins and Laks)

Even on their own each of these groups is very diverse.

There are certainly differences among the various ethnicites, from vastly different languages to regional customs to forms of governance and societal structure. Overall though they are connected by their unique mountain culture. One only needs to view their traditional dress, dancing and music and the similarities are immediately obvious.

I would say for an outsider, those differences are completely indistinguishable unless directly pointed out. For someone like me who is extremely familiar with the region, however, it is easy to tell the different ethnicities apart whether by looks, temperament, general conduct or even how one holds himself.

I can say for certain none of the indigineously spoken languages are influenced by foreign languages or even by each other. In Dagestan, even neighbouring villages spoke entirely different languages. However, despite this the indigenious languages are classified together as Caucasian languages.

I believe the Caucasus deserves an identity of its own. It is not European, West-Asian or Middle Eastern.
    Noxcho, do you perhaps know. I had the peculiar region/ or republic of Daghestan in mind, inhabited by many ethnic groups. Read little about it´s history, and it said that the Arabs incorporated it into their empire, thus Islam was established there early on. But I was wondering could the Dagestanians possibly be somewhat mixed with Arabs? Is it me or.. I was comparing pictures of Dagestanians and Chechens-Ingushes, and in some of the Dagestanians I saw a remarkable "Arabic" influence in contrast to the Chechens. And there is a rather high frequency of J1 Y-DNA in Daghestan, and if I´m correct it would be quite common among Arabs.

Last Online
    10-29-2014 @ 07:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Türk
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 62

0 Not allowed!

I can say for certain none of the indigineously spoken languages are influenced by foreign languages or even by each other.
    Lezgin and few other Dagestani dialects are highly influenced by Azerbaijani Turkish.

In general, Turkic languages dominated Dagestan (except west of it).

Last edited by Yalquzaq; 03-16-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Highlander
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Y-DNA
    Trinity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild North View Post
    Noxcho, do you perhaps know. I had the peculiar region/ or republic of Daghestan in mind, inhabited by many ethnic groups. Read little about it´s history, and it said that the Arabs incorporated it into their empire, thus Islam was established there early on. But I was wondering could the Dagestanians possibly be somewhat mixed with Arabs? Is it me or.. I was comparing pictures of Dagestanians and Chechens-Ingushes, and in some of the Dagestanians I saw a remarkable "Arabic" influence in contrast to the Chechens. And there is a rather high frequency of J1 Y-DNA in Daghestan, and if I´m correct it would be quite common among Arabs.
    Arabs first arrived in the very late 7th century. They conquered the Southern regions of Dagestan up to Derbent (they never got any further) and it became part of the early Islamic Empire. I am not sure exactly which Dagestani ethnicities came into contact with Arabs. However I expect there was no significant mixing because Arab rule did not last very long. The Arabs retreated from the region and they were soon replaced by Persians. I expect Persian influence will be greater simply because they are both closer and have had ties to the region for longer, but I really cannot say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Yalquzaq View Post
    Lezgin and few other Dagestani dialects are highly influenced by Azerbaijani Turkish (Azerbaijan Turkish was the lingua-franca of Southern Dagestan for centuries). So much that you can observe the Turkic "-lar" plural suffix in Lezgin.
    Yes this is true, but as I said earlier not all ethnicities of Dagestan are indigenous people. Historically, migrants passing through the Caucasus often settled there and because of the mountainous terrain they would remain isolated from the natives which enabled them to preserve their languages. However with time they would come into contact with the natives and adopt their culture and lifestyle.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    West Sweden
    Taxonomy
    Some sort of Nordid
    Politics
    Beyond Left and Right
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Jews

At first, one may imagine that they may be descended from surviving Khazars, but apparently they aren´t according to the article.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Highlander
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Y-DNA
    Trinity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild North View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Jews

At first, one may imagine that they may be descended from surviving Khazars, but apparently they aren´t according to the article.
    Yeah the Mountain Jews of the Caucasus are not Khazars.

We have a Jewish tribe as well in Chechnya.

By the way here is a wikipedia page that you might find interesting especially the part about minority/foreign teips.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teip

Last Online
    10-29-2014 @ 07:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Türk
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 62

0 Not allowed!

Yes this is true, but as I said earlier not all ethnicities of Dagestan are indigenous people. Historically, migrants passing through the Caucasus often settled there and because of the mountainous terrain they would remain isolated from the natives which enabled them to preserve their languages. However with time they would come into contact with the natives and adopt their culture and lifestyle.
    Are you saying that Lezgins and other Southern Dagestani peoples are not indigenous Caucasian?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information