View Poll Results: What is the most accurate explanation of our ethnogenesis?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Primarily Ancient Greek throughout, with little outside input.

1 10.00%
  • Primarily descended from Sicels (Italics), Sicanians (Iberians), and Elymians (Anatolians) in the east, center, west respectively.

2 20.00%
  • Primarily pre-Greek Neolithic from the Levant with minor Greek, Italic, Norman etc input.

3 30.00%
  • Primarily Greek in the east, and a mixture in the west of Phoenician, Norman, Moorish, etc.

4 40.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sicilian genetics.. why no east/west genetic division, but a phenotypical one?

Peyrol

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    Then where did the high West Asian and Southwest Asian influence even present in western Sicilians come from? If not the Elymians (which if they are Aegean and Ligurian in origin it couldn't be them) then it would have had to be Phoenicians or prehistoric Neolithics.

Probabily there was a first wave of troian/anatolic settlers, and later some ligurian and other aegean settlements.
    That's explain the fierce rivalry between Selinunte (a Spartan colony) and the Elymes.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alfieb View Post
    As to the whole "Greek" thing, it's highly possible that either or even both the Sicels and Sicanians were Illyrian tribes from the Balkans, who were later with the arrival of the Siceliotes (Greek Sicilians) became Hellenized. Being that Illyrians and Greeks were already close, it would be as though the Sicels and Sicanians had never existed.
    Well it is said the Sicanians came from Iberia, but if that is so, it would have to mean they contributed not much at all to Sicilians' genes, since I've never seen a Sicilian cluster near, or share any reasonable amount of, DNA with an Iberian except for the significant "Mediterranean" component ALL Southern Europeans and even Mediterranean non-Europeans share.

I do know that neither the Sicels nor Sicanians were allowed, by the Greeks, to live near the coasts. So if you wanted to find their ancestry, looking toward Caltanissetta and Enna, or inner Palermo, would be the place to do it.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Peyrol View Post
    Probabily there was a first wave of troian/anatolic settlers, and later some ligurian and other aegean settlements.
    That's explain the fierce rivalry between Selinunte (a Spartan colony) and the Elymes.
    So it'd suggest that the Elymians were a group of mixed Italic and Anatolian affinities. So do you think they were from the Aegean coast of Anatolia, or further in?

taking a break. Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Lurker
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,120
    Given: 2,371

0 Not allowed!

I do know that neither the Sicels nor Sicanians were allowed, by the Greeks, to live near the coasts. So if you wanted to find their ancestry, looking toward Caltanissetta and Enna, or inner Palermo, would be the place to do it.
    Nah, it doesn't get much more "Inner Palermo" as my village (we border Caltanissetta), and that area is where the Norman descent seems to peak. Then again, more Sicanian influence would explain even further why we're different from most.
    [img]http://************.com/uploads/ignore2.jpg[/img]

Ah, per fortuna un uomo può sognare... un uomo può sognare.

Peyrol

0 Not allowed!

So it'd suggest that the Elymians were a group of mixed Italic and Anatolian affinities. So do you think they were from the Aegean coast of Anatolia, or further in?
    Tyrann Pitagoras of Selinunte wrote that they were mostly of troian stock, and the language was a ''disgusting blasphemy of ionian language''.
    They weren't allowed to settle in the city, yes...and don't forget that Selinunte had more than 100,000 inhabithants during the Golden Era of the greek Sicily.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Nah, it doesn't get much more "Inner Palermo" as my village (we border Caltanissetta), and that area is where the Norman descent seems to peak. Then again, more Sicanian influence would explain even further why we're different from most.
    So I would actually think that the Sicanians were bred out of the population for the most part, if not by Greeks and Phoenicians, then by the Normans.

Sicanians would have ended up near Caltanissetta, but people in that region often have Armenoid, not Iberian, features. But I have also heard it suggested that the Sicanians were more similar to Guanches and Berbers, rather than Celt-Iberians.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyrol View Post
    Tyrann Pitagoras of Selinunte wrote that they were mostly of troian stock, and the language was a ''disgusting blasphemy of ionian language''.
    They weren't allowed to settle in the city, yes...and don't forget that Selinunte had more than 100,000 inhabithants during the Golden Era of the greek Sicily.

What would Trojans and Elymians have looked like? Obviously, Anatolia would have looked less European than today and would not yet have been mixed with the Greeks.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Lurker
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Sicanians would have ended up near Caltanissetta, but people in that region often have Armenoid, not Iberian, features. But I have also heard it suggested that the Sicanians were more similar to Guanches and Berbers, rather than Celt-Iberians.
    That would be rather convenient for you, as you believe that I look Berid.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

That would be rather convenient for you, as you believe that I look Berid.
    It actually would. But do you cluster near Iberians, or no? You're also 25% non-Sicilian and that may pull you north.

No one else thought you looked Iberian really except for me. I was alone on that one

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Lurker
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

French, but not Iberians, no.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well also we'd have to think that Iberians back then would not have been exactly the same as today.
    I used to think that the residual "North African" that all Sicilians have might have come from the Sicanians and would represent their genetic input, but I am unsure about that now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information