"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germainc/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish Gaelic Nordic, French/Prussian 700 years ago
    Ancestry
    Various clans and sects from the highlands of Scotland, that all migrated to Australia.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Queensland
    Taxonomy
    Borreby with Keltic-Nordic tendencies
    Politics
    National/Who ever's on right side
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Allenson View Post
    I preferred it out in the Highlands and islands, personally--but the cities were nice too, of course. I was able to get a good dose of both quiet seclusion out yonder and culture/nightlife in the cities.

As I've said before, I grew up/live deep in the coutryside here, so that sort of setting is second nature to me. The Middle of Nowhere is just fine. I was there on a bit of a spiritual quest and I found the most rewarding locales (that I visited anyway) were Trotternish on Skye, Glen Etive and the moors around the little village in Perthshire that my paternal line came from.

I didn't make it to Inverness, although I considered it. I got hung up longer than I should have in Fort William waiting for Ben Nevis to clear off (never did) and then once I got out to Skye, I found it hard to leave. I also spent more time in Glasgow that I thought I would have. A woman can do that to a fellow.
    I'd have to bring my family, so it would be quite expensive for me, I keep forgetting to ask Granddad about the cousins I have in the Isle of Sky.

I'm very jealous as it sounds like a great time. I like the cold more then the Australian heat.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germainc/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Various clans and sects from the highlands of Scotland, that all migrated to Australia.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Queensland
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    Lol, I remember someone saying what's considered a medium town in Scotland would be a large village in England. Some would say that's good thing.

Forests are nice so long as they're not carr, scrub or some ugly foreign conifer plantation (which many in Scotland are).
    Scotland's native woodlands are nice, the Scots Pine forests and the temperate rainforests on the west coast (guess why they're called that )

Mountains are good, I can't stand lowlands which is what the Southern / Midland two thirds of England is.
    I like Moorland and rocky outcrops, crags and all that. Dark Peak is my country.

The vast seas of rough, featureless grass though which cover large areas of Wales ("the desert of Wales") and some areas of Scotland and England are very boring though. They're high up but just very dull, you can see for miles, it's like a steppe or prairie, a wet one.
    If you ever visit Australia you would love South West Australia, full of green grass, granite out crops, Granite islands that pop out of the sea like they have been masoned into ovals and native temperate rain forest, with trees that grow up to 70m in height. The only place that has higher trees in Aussie land is Tasmania where they grow to 85m. Nice and cool down there to.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...le-TG-C-1.html

http://www.rainbowcoast.com.au/

Lots of hippies down there to though.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-03-2011 @ 02:15 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Lost Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Lemkos Clearly not Germanic
    Ancestry
    Lemkos, Not Germanic
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    West Australia
    Taxonomy
    Pred. Atlantid + CM
    Politics
    National Liberal
    Religion
    My own Rationale
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    Holy good gods, do I have to beat it into your head with a fucking two by four??? I said fucking SETTLED. SETTLED!!!!!!!1 I did not say that Hungarians are part Celtic.

And really? Does everyone's art have to be inspired by someone else's????
    That's not the point. the original point of Albion's post was highlighting the regional extent of the cultures today in the modern world, not from years beyond. look at it here.

He was talking about the areas Germanics and celts settled but where they have settled and where the culture continues to breathe in Europe. if we wanted to talk about where Germanics settled we could mention Russia, Romania, Hungary, Scilly parts of the balkans. But the Germanics there have little to no significance there. You're just throwing a red herring fallacy into this argument derailing the intention of the original post of the extension of Celtic and Germanic culture.

Celtic culture is non-existant there, but even before the roman empire expanded you are truly scrapping round the bucket for any celtic impact in hungary. meanwhile in Spain you have the Tartessian culture.

also so more food for thought, about Celts not being pure celtic.

The genetic evidence shows that three quarters of our ancestors came to this corner of Europe as hunter-gatherers, between 15,000 and 7,500 years ago, after the melting of the ice caps but before the land broke away from the mainland and divided into islands. Our subsequent separation from Europe has preserved a genetic time capsule of southwestern Europe during the ice age, which we share most closely with the former ice-age refuge in the Basque country. The first settlers were unlikely to have spoken a Celtic language but possibly a tongue related to the unique Basque language.
    Source: Prospect Magazine

Further scientific reading - clicky

Quote Originally Posted by AussieScott View Post
    If you ever visit Australia you would love South West Australia, full of green grass, granite out crops, Granite islands that pop out of the sea like they have been masoned into ovals and native temperate rain forest, with trees that grow up to 70m in height. The only place that has higher trees in Aussie land is Tasmania where they grow to 85m. Nice and cool down there to.

Lots of hippies down there to though.
    Yes the south-west of WA is rather nice. I like Pemberton area the most. the rolling hills, the tall Karri trees, and the lovely weather is so much nicer than Perth's med.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germainc/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Queensland
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sahson View Post
    Yes the south-west of WA is rather nice. I like Pemberton area the most. the rolling hills, the tall Karri trees, and the lovely weather is so much nicer than Perth's med.
    Oh yeah the temperature is great, that's why I wanted to live down there, plus the obvious wonderful, bountiful country side, at the time due to the mining boom it was just to expensive. The subtropical temperatures where I live now are a bit to hot for my liking, though I'm acclimatised now, have been for a long time.

I find Perth cold in the shade on a pleasant summers day now.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-05-2013 @ 10:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

The genetic evidence shows that three quarters of our ancestors came to this corner of Europe as hunter-gatherers, between 15,000 and 7,500 years ago, after the melting of the ice caps but before the land broke away from the mainland and divided into islands. Our subsequent separation from Europe has preserved a genetic time capsule of southwestern Europe during the ice age, which we share most closely with the former ice-age refuge in the Basque country. The first settlers were unlikely to have spoken a Celtic language but possibly a tongue related to the unique Basque language.
    Besides, I believe the Celts originated in the British Isles somewhere anyway. I believe they came from the Megolithic peoples. But, seeing as I'm religious, I take most scientific stuff with a grain of salt. Evidence? In "Who Were The Celts?" by Kevin Duffy, he notes that spiral pattterns on New Grange, which is more ancient than the set time of the Celts comming over to the British Isles, shares the same spiral pattern that Celtic women wore on their jewelry.
    So, I'm pretty much done arguing with anyone in this thread. I didn't mean to get the Teutonics in such a tizzy and get their knickers twisted.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Haaaaaaa
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 9

0 Not allowed!

Today I'm gonna get laid with redhair chick, so I'm pretty Celtic.
    Last edited by Mordid; 10-12-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-02-2012 @ 09:24 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Arab
    Ethnicity
    Palestinian
    Country
    Australia
    Politics
    SSNP
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Besides, I believe the Celts originated in the British Isles somewhere anyway.
    WIKIPEDIA NOW! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts

Last Online
    09-19-2015 @ 06:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Breton, Gallaecian, small amounts of Gascon and Norman plus a tiny bit of Finnish.
    Ancestry
    Brittany, Gallaecia (Galiza and N. Portugal).
    Country
    Flanders
    Region
    Brittany
    Y-DNA
    R1b (R-L21*)
    mtDNA
    H1
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,614
    Given: 4,516

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant View Post
    The Celts may have originated in SW Iberia, according to the Atlantic School. More than likely there were two Celtic homelands, Central Europe and the Atlantic Facade region.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118

0 Not allowed!

Besides, I believe the Celts originated in the British Isles somewhere anyway. I believe they came from the Megolithic peoples. But, seeing as I'm religious, I take most scientific stuff with a grain of salt. Evidence? In "Who Were The Celts?" by Kevin Duffy, he notes that spiral pattt erns on New Grange, which is more ancient than the set time of the Celts comming over to the British Isles, shares the same spiral pattern that Celtic women wore on their jewelry.
    So, I'm pretty much done arguing with anyone in this thread. I didn't mean to get the Teutonics in such a tizzy and get their knickers twisted.
    Is cake-mix 'a cake'? Is flour or sugar the ancestor of the cake!?

Stop talking shite.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropologique View Post
    The Celts may have originated in SW Iberia, according to the Atlantic School. More than likely there were two Celtic homelands, Central Europe and the Atlantic Facade region.
    You see the Atlantic Facade as a secondary expansion point?

I'm not buying this SW Iberia stuff. Doesn't explain how Celtic culture came to dominate Gaul, Bohemia and the Danube valley, and yet leave Iberia so diverse as it was.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-05-2013 @ 10:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropologique View Post
    Or maybe we will never know where the Celts came from. We don't have to know everything

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread Information