Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I'm actually roughly 20% Celtic, believe it or not. I have ancestors from Tipperary and Mayo in Ireland and Fife and Renfrewshire in Scotland. I have a few distant known Welsh ancestors and I most likely have even more since there are surnames in my family like Jones and Lewis. Plus I have plenty of English ancestry...can't all be Anglo-Saxon. At least a few of those were from Cornwall.

Last Online
    09-10-2010 @ 04:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Region
    Cornwall
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alana View Post
    Hey, can the r1b thing be associated with the Celts? In this case, I am more than just a "wannabe"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    And I am a quarter Celt, Irish (County Cork) and Highland Scots, mixed in with some Scouser in there for good measure...does that count too?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    Hello fellow Celts, never fear Germanicus is here...i am proud of my Celtic features, if i look around i see i am not unique there are millions of us in the UK...
    Whilst holidaying in Breton i noticed that i was a spitting image of most French men, Celts are everywhere..

Yes, I've always wondered how many people there are around the world with Celtic ancestry? I wonder if it would run into the hundreds of millions? We're not just talking about the Scots, Irish, Welsh and Bretons here, but Gauls, Celts in Iberia, English Celts, Iceland, Germany, Austria - the list is endless.

Posted by Aemma
    My first name is very Welsh, Jennifer, although I myself am not. Does that count for something???

And I am a quarter Celt, Irish (County Cork) and Highland Scots, mixed in with some Scouser in there for good measure...does that count too?

Of course it does Aemma, a Celtic social group wouldn't be one without our Apricity Super mom!

Posted by Frigga

My last name is Lloyd, which is Welsh. I also have a Scottish ancestress who when she was 12 years old stowed away by herself on a ship to America.

Question to all people savvy with the name of Lloyd. Have you ever in your life come across a person with that last name but the spelling of Loyd, Lloyde, or Loyde? Whenever I tell someone my name and I don't spell it out, they always do a varition of the above, and never get my name right! Makes no sense to me
    Frigga, the surname Lloyd comes from Llwyd which means grey, perhaps we should call you Lady Grey?
    Last edited by Treffie; 09-02-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Benevolent Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-17-2018 @ 02:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Pan-Germania and Spanish Gypsies (Gitanos)
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    sub-nordic
    Politics
    Co-operative Economics, Direct Democracy
    Hero
    The Absolute
    Religion
    Advaita Vedānta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,469
    Given: 8,126

0 Not allowed!

Although I am not known by it myself, my father's actual surname is Celtic.

It is the one which means 'twisted mouth'.

Yes, I am a Campbell, and true to form, my Campbell jowl has made its appearance in recent years.

Last Online
    04-11-2010 @ 09:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Pennsylvania German/Scottish
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Social Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

Cool thread. I've a few Scottish ancestors on my mother's side who appear to have been from Nairn and Inverness. The surnames were MacGregor and Harvie. It's been easy to find information on the Clan Gregor side but not so much with the Harvies. It seems as though Harvie/Harvey is of Breton origin, can anyone confirm that for me?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tansy View Post
    Cool thread. I've a few Scottish ancestors on my mother's side who appear to have been from Nairn and Inverness. The surnames were MacGregor and Harvie. It's been easy to find information on the Clan Gregor side but not so much with the Harvies. It seems as though Harvie/Harvey is of Breton origin, can anyone confirm that for me?
    Ankou is the resident Breton on here, why not ask him? I'm sure he would oblige

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tansy View Post
    It seems as though Harvie/Harvey is of Breton origin, can anyone confirm that for me?
    "This ancient surname, which is one of the earliest on record, is of English and Irish origin. It is also well recorded in Scotland, although the origin is as for England. The name has two possible sources, the first being from the Breton personal name "Aeruiu" or "Haerviu", composed of the elements "haer", meaning battle, and "vy", - worthy. The 1086 Domesday has various references to followers of William the Conqueror, including Herueu de Berruarius of Suffolk, and later Heuei de Castre of Lincoln, in 1157. These were not surnames, although in fact the first surname recording as shown below was only just behind. The second source is Irish, although in fact most nameholders in Ireland do descend from English settlers, it is said that a Galway clan called originally the O'hAirmheadhaigh, did 'anglicise' their name to Harvey or Harvie. The Gaelic translates as 'the descendant of the son of Airmed', the latter being a personal name which may mean 'a grain of corn'. The surname is generally recorded as Harvey, Harvie, Hervie and Hervey, and early recordings include William Hervy of Essex in 1232, Warin Harvi in the Pipe Rolls of Cambridge for the year 1273, and John Hervy, burgess of Aberdeen in 1398. The roll of famous namebearers includes William Harvey (1578 - 1657), who discovered the circulation of the blood in 1616, whilst Edmond Harvey, a Parlimentarian Colonel, was one of the fifty three regicides who signed the death warrant of Charles 1st in January 1649. Beauchamp Bagenal Harvey was one of the 1798 leaders of the Irish rebellion, whilst curiously Robert Hervie of Scotland was a member of the Huntly Volunteer force, raised to combat a possible French-Irish invasion. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of William Hervi, which was dated 1190, in the 'Calendar of Abbot Samson of Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk', during the reign of King Richard 1, known as "The Lionheart", 1189 - 1199. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling."

http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Harvie

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

There is some Celtic blood in my veins, I don’t talk about it much, the shame of an Anglo-Saxon with Celtic blood, sob….

My great great granny was Irish, came over in 1885 to England, she was married in Ireland to a man who was either Scots or Scots-Irish (we’re not sure) certainly there were a lot of kilted blokes at my mum and dad’s wedding, some bods from up north of the wall.

My half Irish, half Scot great granny married an Englishman, they set up a “horse dealership” in Chesterfield, I just know they were fickin diddykyes…..

My gran hated the Irish with a passion, even though she had Irish blood, wouldn’t have anything Irish in the house. Not sure why that came about.

I haven’t been able to trace much of the Irish line of the family, don’t dare half expect to find distant relations resembling the Dingles back in Ireland, since I don’t know where in Ireland they cam from it would be pretty hard to trace back. Apparently there are also some distant relations in Salford, which is the Irish part of Manchester.

Other than that my surname is Stevenson, which originates in southern Scotland, apparently from Norman settlers (it just gets bloody worse!).

Thankfully there is no Welsh blood, don’t think I could stand more humiliation!
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Liffrea View Post
    Thankfully there is no Welsh blood, don’t think I could stand more humiliation!
    Poor bugger, it must be awful for you, but I won't hold it against you
    Last edited by Treffie; 09-02-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Last Online
    05-01-2019 @ 07:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Old Stock
    Ethnicity
    New Englander
    Ancestry
    Angles & Picts
    Region
    Vermont
    Y-DNA
    R1b L21
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Taxonomy
    A-S
    Politics
    Landscape
    Religion
    Nature
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

I certainly must have a fair bit. Speaking not in exact genealogical terms mind you, but I would reckon that I'm around 90% Isles extraction. Toss out the Danes & the Angles and what is there left but a bunch of Celticized native Britons.

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information