View Poll Results: How do you define "Celtic"?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Culturally?

18 39.13%
  • Genetically?

8 17.39%
  • Both of the aforementioned?

28 60.87%
  • Other (please specify).

6 13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Define "Celtic"

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

2 Not allowed!

Haplogroup I has zero ties with eastern mediterranean, they were WHG, so furthest apart from modern east meds as possible.

Slovenia and north-western Croatia have lot of celtic R1b (up to 20%), and these areas had historical celtic populations.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

I think Bosniensis deserves permaban, he doesn't want to learn after all sources and serious studies are presented to him, it leads me to conclusion he is malicious troll.

What's the point in pathological lying and spreaing misinformation you know is wrong, on puropse ?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-24-2021 @ 05:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Politics
    Neo-liberal
    Hero
    Sikeliot
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,258
    Given: 3,510

0 Not allowed!

Mostly linguocultural, with limited racial connections during historical times

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ar-Rum, Ottoman, Byzantine
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Ancestry
    25% N.Macedonian, 25% Albanian + 50% Dalmatia Slavic mixed Vlach
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Dalmatia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H28
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid + Pontid
    Politics
    Neo-Ottomanism
    Hero
    Tzepeles Komnenos, Mehmed II
    Religion
    Ottoman Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,216
    Given: 5,754

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    I think Bosniensis deserves permaban, he doesn't want to leran after all sources and seruous studies are presented to him, it leads me to conclusion he is malicious troll.

What's the point in pathological lying and spreaing misinformation you know is wrong, on puropse ?

Screw you

I don't learn from people whom I don't trust.

Also Europeans should learn from US not the other way around.

Your inferiority complex makes you learn foreign history of balkans.

Only people from Balkans are qualified to write the history of Balkans.

Don't tell me what to write about... FEEL FREE to put me on ignore list.

I don't have inferiority complex like Croats.

I REJECT EVERYTHING WRITTEN BY NON-BALKAN HISTORIAN, cause they ignored our books, our historians, our educated people.

"PERMABAN"

Don't ever reply to my posts ever!

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

^^^^
    psychiatric case.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Ancestry
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Dalmatia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H28
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid + Pontid
    Politics
    Neo-Ottomanism
    Hero
    Religion
    Ottoman Islam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Haplogroup I has zero ties with eastern mediterranean, they were WHG, so furthest apart from modern east meds as possible.

Slovenia and north-western Croatia have lot of celtic R1b (up to 20%), and these areas had historical celtic populations.
    And were living in Greece!

20% of Ancient Greece were I2a P37

HOW ABOUT THAT?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,586
    Given: 29,041

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bosniensis View Post
    No, I am not trolling.

Celtic people according to Greek mythology are related to Eastern Mediterranean people (J, I, E) so it's confusing to mix them with Indo-European haplogrups (R1a, R1b).

I can't separate Germanic People from Celtic (Those two are completely unrelated) However, people are still saying they all belonged to R1 haplogrup (which doesn't make any sense).

Also there was a Celtic migration to Western Balkans, and we have NO R1b whatsoever.
    OK I'm glad you're not trolling then. The Celts grew out of cultures like Unetice and Urnfield. These people were proto-Celtic. Celtic language is Indo-European and split off from Italic and was in contact with Proto-Germanic because Proto-Germanic has Celtic loan words. I doubt Greek mythology has anything to say about Celts because they only emerged about 2,000 years ago and the Greeks and Romans definitely looked on them as very foreign. This is all easily researched and I would like to see some of your sources as they are obviously not correct.

Even this Wiki article tells you who the Celts were.

If the Greeks thought the Celts were one of them then why this?

The first recorded use of the name of Celts—as Κελτοί—to refer to an ethnic group was by Hecataeus of Miletus, the Greek geographer, in 517 BC,[12] when writing about a people living near Massilia (modern Marseille).[13] In the fifth century BC, Herodotus referred to Keltoi living around the head of the Danube and also in the far west of Europe.[14] The etymology of the term Keltoi is unclear. Possible roots include Indo-European *kʲel 'to hide' (present also in Old Irish ceilid), IE *kʲel 'to heat' or *kel 'to impel'.[15] Several authors have supposed it to be Celtic in origin, while others view it as a name coined by Greeks. Linguist Patrizia De Bernardo Stempel falls in the latter group, and suggests the meaning "the tall ones".[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts

There are plenty of Greek and Roman sources and they viewed the Celts as barbarians.

The Celtic languages form a branch of the larger Indo-European family. By the time speakers of Celtic languages entered history around 400 BC, they were already split into several language groups, and spread over much of Western continental Europe, the Iberian Peninsula, Ireland and Britain. The Greek historian Ephorus of Cyme in Asia Minor, writing in the 4th century BC, believed that the Celts came from the islands off the mouth of the Rhine and were "driven from their homes by the frequency of wars and the violent rising of the sea".

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

HOW ABOUT THAT?

Nothing to do with Celts.

I2a P37 is 15 000 years old.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Ancestry
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Dalmatia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H28
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid + Pontid
    Politics
    Neo-Ottomanism
    Hero
    Religion
    Ottoman Islam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Nothing to do with Celts.

I2a P37 is 15 000 years old.
    Oh Really?

Go find the map of Europe 2000 B.C. and check which was the major Haplogroup in UK, France and SPAIN = I2 P37

CONFIRMED!

It's just they got butchered by Germanic Invaders, according to your logic... Modern Europe doesn't have a single German in France, Italy, UK

WHO Destroyed Roman Empire?

CELTS?

I don't think so!

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,998
    Given: 1,604

0 Not allowed!

HOW ABOUT THAT?

That's not true, I2a1b is very low in that graph you have shown.
    Most of I2a1b in the Balkans came with the Slavs, that's a fact.
    And I2a1b Dinaric is too young, with a TMRCA of 2200 years, to be native to the balkans.

Haplogroup I2a1b-L621
    This branch is found overwhelmingly in Slavic countries. Its maximum frequencies are observed among the Dinaric Slavs (Slovenes, Croats, Bosniaks, Serbs, Montenegrins and Macedonians) as well as in Bulgaria, Romania, Moldavia, western Ukraine and Belarus. It is also common to a lower extent in Albania, Greece, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, and south-western Russia. I2-L621 (L147.2+) is also known as as I2a-Din (for Dinaric).

The high concentration of I2a1b-L621 in north-east Romania, Moldova and central Ukraine reminds of the maximum spread of the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture (4800-3000 BCE). No Y-DNA sample from this culture has been tested to date, but as it evolved as an offshoot from the Starčevo–Kőrös–Criş culture, it is likely that I2a was one of its main paternal lineages, and a founder effect could have increased considerably its frequency. The Cucuteni-Trypillian culture was the most advanced Neolithic culture in Europe before the Indo-European invasions in the Bronze Age and seems to have had intensive contacts with the Steppe culture before the expansion of Yamna to the Balkans and Central Europe (see histories of R1a and R1b). From 3500 BCE, at the onset of the Yamna period in the Pontic-Caspian Steppe, the Cucuteni-Trypillian people started expanding east into the steppe of what is now western Ukraine, leaving their towns (the largest in the world at the time), and adopting an increasingly nomadic lifestyle like their Yamna neighbours. It can easily be imagined that Cucuteni-Trypillian people became assimilated by the Yamna neighbours and that they spread as a minority lineage alongside haplogroups R1a and R1b as they advanced toward the Baltic with the Corded Ware expansion. Alternatively, I2-L621 lineages could have lived in relative isolation from the mainstream Proto-Indo-European society somewhere around Ukraine, Poland or Belarus, then as the centuries and millennia passed, would have blended with the predominantly R1a populations around them. The resulting amalgam would have become the ancestors of the Proto-Slavs.

Nowadays, I2a1 is five to ten times more common than G2a in Southeast Europe, while during the Neolithic period G2a was approximately four times more common. What can explain this complete reversal? At one point in history, I2a1 lineages seem to have benefited from being on the winning side. Apart from a minor boost from (hypothetically) joining Yamna's westward expansion to Europe, the principal determining event that allowed I2a1b-L621 to become a major Eastern European lineage was probably the Slavic migrations from the 6th to the 9th century CE. Most modern Eastern Europeans belonging to I2a1b fit into the L147.2 (aka CTS10228, CTS2180 or Y3111) subclade, which is thought to have arisen 5,600 years ago (just before the Yamna period and the Trypillian expansion into the steppe), but has a TMRCA of only 2,300 years according to Yfull. The minority of I2a1b-L621 individuals negative for L147.2 are all found around eastern Poland, Belarus and western Ukraine, suggesting that this is where this lineage survived since the Chalcolithic. The I2a1b-L147.2 subclade seems to have expanded very fast from 1900 years ago, which is concordant with the timing of the Slavic ethnogenesis, considering that it takes a few centuries before one man can have enough male descendants to start having an impact at the scale of a population. This I2-L147.2 ancestor would have such an impact on the burgeoning Early Slavic population, still small 2,300 years ago, but booming.

After the Germanic tribes living in eastern Germany and Poland, like the Goths, the Vandals and the Burgundians, invaded the Roman Empire, the Slavs living further east filled the vacuum. Following the collapse of the Western Roman Empire in 476, the Slavs moved in the Dinaric Alps and the Balkans. By the 9th century, the Slavs occupied all modern Slavic-speaking territories, apart from the eastern Balkans under the control of the Turkic-speaking Bulgars.

Nowadays northern Slavic countries have between 9% (Poland, Czech republic) and 21% (Ukraine) of I2a-L621, while southern Slavs have between 20% (Bulgaria) and 50% (Bosnia). The higher percentage of I2a-Din in the south is probably just due to another founder effect due to the fact that the South Slavs originated in western Ukraine, where the ratio of I2a to R1a was higher. Virtually all Dinaric I2a falls under the L147.2 branch, and the majority to the S17250 ramification, who descend from a common patrilinear ancestor who lived only 1,800 years ago.

Haplogroup I2a1b-L161.1
    Commonly known in genetic genealogy circles as I2-M423-Isles, L161.1 is found at highest frequencies in western Ireland (5-10%) and the Scottish Highlands (1-5%), but is also found at low frequencies (> 1%) throughout Central and Western Europe, from Latvia, Lithuania and Belarus to the British Isles, and from Scandinavia to north-western Spain. It has also been found in Albania, northern Greece, Bulgaria and Romania.

The oldest known I2a1b-L161.1 individuals are the 8,000 year-old Loschbour man from Mesolithic Luxembourg, and a 7,800 year-old man from Motala in southern Sweden. I2a1b-L161.1 was probably scattered over most of Europe during the late Glacial and immediate postglacial periods, and in all likelihood integrated Neolithic society like all other Mesolithic lineages. I2a1b-L161.1 was very possibly one of the main Neolithic lineages in the British Isles during the Megalithic period, and would therefore have been among the men who built Stonehenge, Knowth, Newgrange and other great Megalithic sites. Its low frequency today and its confinement to the north-western and south-eastern fringes of Europe is indubitably the result of the numerous waves of Indo-European migrations over the last 5,000 years. The Proto-Celtic haplogroup R1b-L21 is now known to have arrived in Ireland around 2000 BCE (see Cassidy et al. 2015), only a few centuries after R1b first arrived in Central Europe. The transition was rapid, with R1b tribes overwhelming the Neolithic population of the British Isles in only a few centuries and pushing them further west and north, where L161.1 survives today.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information