Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scotland: Rome's Final Frontier

Peyrol

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eileanach View Post

That's a bit odd about the Saxon Shore, seems way to early. That area was always the first to get hit by continentals though, because it was the most fertile region in Britain. Before the Saxons it was Belgae coming in that way, who knows what before them.

On that map, the people from Valentia (they called it Hen Ogledd back then, or Old North) came bursting down south as soon as Romans left. Warlords from that area took over huge territories in southern Britain. Some of them were famous for looting Roman accessories, proclaiming themselves King of Britain while showing off their new jewelry.

A guy called Paternus of the Scarlet Robe was famous for that, he went around wearing a red cape that he took from some Roman governor or general. Funny how quickly people will revert back to being savages as soon as there's nothing to keep them in line.
    But keep in mind that according to some recend discoveries, there still were saxons in roman britain, even before the massive invasion of the VII-VIII centuries led by the two famous anglish brothers (i can't remeber their names now), so it isn't so surprising if you think about this...they were invited as ''foederati'' (you know how many times romans did this with the germans...the same happened with the visigoths in Aqvitania) to stay there, with the only duty to help the romans in their wars.

It's interesting the fact that at least two romance languages developed in pre-germanic and post-roman britain (some linguists label them as ''atrian'' and ''trinovant'')...probabily they were as the gallo-romance languages...latin implanted into a celtic substrate...i wonder how they would have developed without the germanic linguistical substitution.
    However, at least half of the latinisms of english are due to the romani-britannic languages, while the other half due to William the Conqueror's conquest of Britain.

Last Online
    06-20-2023 @ 01:08 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tertiary Slav
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    R1a Z280
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid+Dinarid
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,848
    Given: 3,155

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMalus View Post
    Bran was perhaps the best character that Howard ever wrote, even though Solomon Kane is my favourite.

I always wandered why he described the picts as a degenerated race, even in his Conanverse where the picts eventually conquer Aquioneia but are too primitive to make any of use of what they find there and simply lay it to waste. Wasn't Howard part scotish as well?
    I don't know, to me it seemed like he himself was fond of the idea that he could be a descendant of Picts.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Researchers found 260 Roman military camps in Scotland, the largest number of any country in Europe, and 20 more than the 240 throughout found in England and Wales.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...tribesmen.html
    I see you guys had the original General Butt Naked , that depiction looks absolutely terrifying!
    „Beer has it's own way of sorting things out, does it not?“

Banned
    Last Online
    09-20-2014 @ 10:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pecht
    Ethnicity
    Vacomagi
    Country
    Venezuela
    Region
    Nunavut
    Religion
    Bull cult
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 134

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMalus View Post
    Bran was perhaps the best character that Howard ever wrote, even though Solomon Kane is my favourite.

I always wandered why he described the picts as a degenerated race, even in his Conanverse where the picts eventually conquer Aquioneia but are too primitive to make any of use of what they find there and simply lay it to waste. Wasn't Howard part scotish as well?
    Pulp writers were weird. They were fond of using terms like "degenerated race", some authors like Lovecraft had fixations with that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
    I see you guys had the original General Butt Naked , that depiction looks absolutely terrifying!
    1. Makes you seem brave

2. Easier to move

3. Good airflow to the genital area

Banned
    Last Online
    04-03-2015 @ 05:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,564
    Given: 5,232

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Peyrol View Post
    The provincial division and the city-names were interesting btw....Wales ''Britannia Secunda''...lol

And the eastern shores ''limes saxonicus''...they already known who will arrive from there some times later...

This map show the situation around 369, after the Britannia was retaken by Theodosius the Elder(father of the emperor Theodosius I), when the land was almost lost due to a mutiny and attacks of Caledoni and Saxons. Than Britain was reorganized in 5 provinces.

There is an error however in the map, because it was the Litus Saxonicus and not Limes Saxonicus. The Litus Saxonicus was a series of fortress and garrisons to protect South of England by Attacks fron Saxons raiders.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-03-2015 @ 05:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,564
    Given: 5,232

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianus View Post
    This map show the situation around 369, after the Britannia was retaken by Theodosius the Elder(father of the emperor Theodosius I), when the land was almost lost due to a mutiny and attacks of Caledoni and Saxons. Than Britain was reorganized in 5 provinces.

There is an error however in the map, because it was the Litus Saxonicus and not Limes Saxonicus. The Litus Saxonicus was a series of fortress and garrisons to protect South of England by Attacks fron Saxons raiders.

Made in Italy with original parts Volscian's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-29-2021 @ 10:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Proto Italic
    Ethnicity
    Italian since the Big Bang
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,194
    Given: 1,203

1 Not allowed!

FREE CALEDONIA!
    FREE CALEDONIA!

Wait...wait, even if my ydna is R1b-L21 i'm still a Roman!

However...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information