Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Ershver tooni monhrr!'The ice age 'superlanguage' Europeans spoke 15,000 years ago

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

0 Not allowed!

Default 'Ershver tooni monhrr!'The ice age 'superlanguage' Europeans spoke 15,000 years ago

'Ershver tooni monhrr!' In other words, hey, can you give me a hand! The ice age 'superlanguage' Europeans spoke 15,000 years ago - and we can still understand today

Researchers uncovered language Ice Age people used to communicate - with many of the words still in use today
    Believe 'superlanguage' may have existed so different groups could communicate
    Experts say we could 'hold a simple conversation' using the language.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz2Sj2v4qUy

My Countship is not of this world Comte Arnau's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-18-2015 @ 02:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,755
    Given: 1,407

0 Not allowed!

Cool. Yet something tells me that, as soon as they reveal the methodology, the theory will collapse. Doesn't look really solid at first sight.

Why did the journalists choose Inuit-Yupik as "the superlanguage" for the title? Lol.
    < La Catalogne peut se passer de l'univers entier, et ses voisins ne peuvent se passer d'elle. > Voltaire

Last Online
    05-05-2021 @ 11:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Illyro-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Arberor
    Ancestry
    Shqipėri
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    St Albans
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,713
    Given: 3,033

0 Not allowed!

Is that Finnish?

Lovecraftian in Design Vesuvian Sky's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-17-2024 @ 03:10 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Lovecraftian
    Ethnicity
    Great Old One
    Ancestry
    Oceanic
    Taxonomy
    Chtulhid
    Politics
    N/A
    Hero
    I fucking incinerate your heroes.
    Religion
    I am religion.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,687
    Given: 1,192

0 Not allowed!

Professor Pagel's previous research on the evolution of human languages has built up a picture of how our 7,000 living human languages have evolved - with the 'proto-Eurasiatic' language that was the common ancestor to about 700 contemporary languages that are the native tongues of more than half the world’s people.
    Professor Pagel and his research team have documented the shared patterns in the way we use language and researched why some words succeed and others have become obsolete over time.
    This is done by using statistical estimates of rates of lexical replacement for a range of vocabulary items in the Indo-European languages.
    It seems like this theory would aim to be a contender to Jospeh Greenberg's Proto-Nostratic language to a degree. Although, Greenberg's methodology was a little more clear cut/straight forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmey Gorynych View Post
    Turan is not a one day/night passion. Time can not change the hearts and minds of tr00 Turan followers because Turan is limitless in time and space. Turan is not merely a racial classification, Turan is a state of mind, it is the path of the righteous and the doom of the wicked.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

First two mistakes I see: one can't rely in such words as mama or to spit, because the m in the first and the exploited t in the second are a common thing in most languages all over the world, an onomatopoeic feature rather than genetic.

I see that Basque is missing on the chart. Let's see.

thou = hi - Hmm, not bad, could work.

to give = eman (<*-ban-) - Doesn't work.

hand = esku - Again, doesn't work at all.

bark = azal - Again, nah.

to spit = tu - Yeah, could work, but as I said, it could be a common onomatopoeic sound.
    < La Catalogne peut se passer de l'univers entier, et ses voisins ne peuvent se passer d'elle. > Voltaire

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Lovecraftian
    Ethnicity
    Great Old One
    Ancestry
    Oceanic
    Taxonomy
    Chtulhid
    Politics
    N/A
    Hero
    Religion
    I am religion.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Comte Arnau View Post
    First two mistakes I see: one can't rely in such words as mama or to spit, because the m in the first and the exploited t in the second are a common thing in most languages all over the world, an onomatopoeic feature rather than genetic.

I see that Basque is missing on the chart. Let's see.

thou = hi - Hmm, not bad, could work.

to give = eman (<*-ban-) - Doesn't work.

hand = esku - Again, doesn't work at all.

bark = azal - Again, nah.

to spit = tu - Yeah, could work, but as I said, it could be a common onomatopoeic sound.
    IMO, major mistake there. If one wanted to work back to any type of proto-Upper Paleolithic for Europe's region alone, then Basque requires serious attention.
    Turan is not a one day/night passion. Time can not change the hearts and minds of tr00 Turan followers because Turan is limitless in time and space. Turan is not merely a racial classification, Turan is a state of mind, it is the path of the righteous and the doom of the wicked.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vesuvian Sky View Post
    IMO, major mistake there. If one wanted to work back to any type of proto-Upper Paleolithic for Europe's region alone, then Basque requires serious attention.
    Basque, even Proto-Basque (Basco-Aquitanian), or who knows if Basco-Iberian, might not go as far back as the Upper Paleolithic, according to some theories. Perhaps it was simply previous to Indo-European but already in the Neolithic. Yet, it definitely should have been a language to take into account for this. Specially when some have typically related it to Kartvelian too.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Lovecraftian
    Ethnicity
    Great Old One
    Ancestry
    Oceanic
    Taxonomy
    Chtulhid
    Politics
    N/A
    Hero
    Religion
    I am religion.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Basque, even Proto-Basque (Basco-Aquitanian), or who knows if Basco-Iberian, might not go as far back as the Upper Paleolithic, according to some theories. Perhaps it was simply previous to Indo-European but already in the Neolithic. Yet, it definitely should have been a language to take into account for this. Specially when some have typically related it to Kartvelian too.
    There's definitely contention to the notion that Basque = Paleolithic survivor and its certainly debatable on several different levels. Theo Veneman's version of Basque represent such I know is not popular. Interesting that it has similarities to Kartvelian as that would indeed shift it more towards the notion that it was a "Neolithic invader" language given what we know what the aDNA Y-chromosome haplogroups of Cardial Ware and LBK horizons were.

What linguistic similarities are there though to Kartevelian?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vesuvian Sky View Post
    There's definitely contention to the notion that Basque = Paleolithic survivor and its certainly debatable on several different levels. Theo Veneman's version of Basque represent such I know is not popular. Interesting that it has similarities to Kartvelian as that would indeed shift it more towards the notion that it was a "Neolithic invader" language given what we know what the aDNA Y-chromosome haplogroups of Cardial Ware and LBK horizons were.

What linguistic similarities are there though to Kartevelian?
    That's it. I've even read that Basques and Ancient Aquitanians could be the final stage of ancient Iberians being pushed by the Romans to that final corner, and that ancient Iberians and others like, perhaps, Nuragics and ancient Ligurians, might have spoken a same proto-language, which could be associated to the Cardial Ware culture, coming from the East. While it seems risky, one has to take into account that Basque dialects are relatively close and that Celtic substrate in the modern territory and language indicates a likely movement westwards from Pyrenean ancient Basques. And that while Iberian hasn't been fully deciphered, the similarities are too striking to be just loanwords.

The connection to Kartvelian has been a theory both adopted and criticized many times because it's a rather slight one. It has more to do with a few similarities in structure, the use of the ergative case and dubious attempts at some words.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Lovecraftian
    Ethnicity
    Great Old One
    Ancestry
    Oceanic
    Taxonomy
    Chtulhid
    Politics
    N/A
    Hero
    Religion
    I am religion.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

That's it. I've even read that Basques and Ancient Aquitanians could be the final stage of ancient Iberians being pushed by the Romans to that final corner, and that ancient Iberians and others like, perhaps, Nuragics and ancient Ligurians, might have spoken a same proto-language, which could be associated to the Cardial Ware culture, coming from the East. While it seems risky, one has to take into account that Basque dialects are relatively close and that Celtic substrate in the modern territory and language indicates a likely movement westwards from Pyrenean ancient Basques. And that while Iberian hasn't been fully deciphered, the similarities are too striking to be just loanwords.

The connection to Kartvelian has been a theory both adopted and criticized many times because it's a rather slight one. It has more to do with a few similarities in structure, the use of the ergative case and dubious attempts at some words.
    Ah I see. Sounds like the phonological aspects aren't there but some grammatical. Yeah that is rather dubious. Usually, the best evidence for close genetic relationships is determined when both the grammatical and phonological are there.

I kinda feel these days a stronger case for Etruscan can be made for a Neolithic invader languages from e. Anatolia/Caucuses based on phonological aspects of some kinship terms but also given what we know regarding genetics of Tuscany.

Here's something interesting I just caught:

Etruscan
    apa: father
    apana: paternal
    ati, ativu: mother

Hurrian
    attardi: ancestor
    attai:father
    ašti: woman

Euskara
    ama: mother

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information